Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Well, alright. It's just that Blue Marvel is no slouch in the travel speed department himself, so I would imagine any fight -- whether between Capt. Marvel or Binary -- would take up a lot of space anyway.
    I agree, but realistically most fights between two classes 100s should involve someone getting hit once, and then the two opponents needing to cross time zones cause the punchee was sent flying so far. The arena seems to operate under the "we can slug it out while staying in Metropolis" principle unless someone specifically goes for a ring out.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I agree, but realistically most fights between two classes 100s should involve someone getting hit once, and then the two opponents needing to cross time zones cause the punchee was sent flying so far. The arena seems to operate under the "we can slug it out while staying in Metropolis" principle unless someone specifically goes for a ring out.
    Actually, it's a LOT worse than that, because of physics. Kinetic energy is mass times velocity squared. So, to hit someone with class 100 kinetic energy (and therefore applying that amount of force, which is mass times acceleration, and acceleration is A LOT in this case), you'd need to get your fist moving some not-insignificant fraction of light speed. But your fist has mass itself - getting it to that speed in a short period of time would push the rest of your body backwards (thanks Newton) at some rather incredible speed itself. When a human throws a punch, we use the friction with the ground, and the fact that our 50kg to 100kg bodies are offsetting a few kilos of arm being accelerated to a dozen or two meters per second. We also use friction with the ground to add some more staying power. But if you tried to get your fist up to 100 000 m/s, well, you'd be imparting a velocity of at least 5 000 m/s in the other direction on the rest of your body. Friction with the ground isn't making up for that. So, in your example, it's not just the struck target getting knocked timezones away, it's also the striker winding up in low earth orbit.

There are... A lot of physics problems with comic books, yes.

To clarify my stance on the arena: last time I asked, in the event that you get punched out of the arena, you are obligated to return to it as expediently as possible and can't take any sort of action, such as raising a shield, firing a blast from far away, etc. So I don't think rumbles allows for like, flying up super out of orbit so you FTL bull rush someone, and if you accidentally remove yourself from the arena because your reflexes can't match your travel speed, you are probably disqualified and lose.

There are... A lot of physics problems with comic books, yes.

To clarify my stance on the arena: last time I asked, in the event that you get punched out of the arena, you are obligated to return to it as expediently as possible and can't take any sort of action, such as raising a shield, firing a blast from far away, etc. So I don't think rumbles allows for like, flying up super out of orbit so you FTL bull rush someone, and if you accidentally remove yourself from the arena because your reflexes can't match your travel speed, you are probably disqualified and lose.
    If you INTENTIONALLY ring yourself out, yes, you lose instantly. At least that's the way I've always read it, and I'd be somewhat surprised if that's not explicitly addressed in the sticky on the subject.

And you need to return to the ring under your own power if YOU get ringed out. I don't really know about it being "as expediently as possible" though: would Thing get in trouble if he walked back rather than sprinted back after getting de-ringed? Seems not.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    If you INTENTIONALLY ring yourself out, yes, you lose instantly. At least that's the way I've always read it, and I'd be somewhat surprised if that's not explicitly addressed in the sticky on the subject.

And you need to return to the ring under your own power if YOU get ringed out. I don't really know about it being "as expediently as possible" though: would Thing get in trouble if he walked back rather than sprinted back after getting de-ringed? Seems not.
    The question is what if you unintentionally ring yourself out? I don't mean getting judo thrown Val Amor style. But we are talking about using FTL travel speeds in an arena the size of, what, a football field?

The question is what if you unintentionally ring yourself out? I don't mean getting judo thrown Val Amor style. But we are talking about using FTL travel speeds in an arena the size of, what, a football field?
    I think the bigger problem is whether you are durable enough for the impact with the wall when you overshoot your target.