Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    I finally read this book since it has been highly recommended on several must read Superman stories. However I was severely underwhelmed with the book. The first 2 chapters were brilliant and a nice way of building of young Clark Kent in a world as the only superhero. However at chapter 3 and 4 I was still waiting for the story to take off and for Superman to do more. Not necessarily fight monsters and aliens, but be the public hero he is in other stories. It felt like Superman was closeted the entire story. He only came out when the government called him to do something for him or when someone needed rescuing. The latter is told to us more than it is shown to us. Superman's inner monologue fills us in with his acts of rescuing while remaining unseen.

Please share your thoughts and reflections here. Thanks.
    Underwhelming pretty much describes my feelings towards it too, also quaint. I'm a big fan of Immomen though, so it's real pretty to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    And now the image of Mickey Mouse Prime, a talking mouse from the real world born via genetic experiments, beating up classic "Steamboat Willy" Mickey to death will haunt me for my entire life.

Anyway, my personal lowest Superboy Prime moment was the ending of the "Legion of 3 Worlds" mini, where Superboy Prime returns to his world, only to discover his parents followed his "adventures" by reading the comics. He then apparently murders his love interest, terrorises his parents, and lives in his basement writing in DC boards.
    That was extremely stupid, and its "metatext" only made it more annoying.
    It made me laugh out loud.

I agree with the OP. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think Secret Identity is overrated.

Busiek is great at coming up with ideas, but I think his execution lacks. He never seems to ratchet the tension for me. He tells what would be a great story, beat by beat, but it never draws me in.

I've always thought Secret Identity was the perfect example of this. Great idea. Boring read.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I liked it, but I agree it's a bit overrated.

For me Kurt Buseik is a writer who mostly ticks along doing decent superhero stories.

Every no and then though, he comes out with a Marvels or Astro City to completely blow me away.

Secret Identity was one of those books for me - and it didn't hurt that Stuart Immonen was producing the work of his career.

Amazing Member

Beautiful art and beautiful story. It blew me away when I read it. I wish the ending could've been a bit more inspiring ala All Star, though.