Page 40 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Enjoying Russo dancing on the grave of TNA and throwing them under the bus.

I look at Jeff falling apart at Victory Road as another dagger in an already critically wounded and creatively amiss company.

2010 was the make or break disaster for the company's longterm fate. Both creatively and popularity wise. Bringing back Hogan was a quick sugar high that did more damage than good even early on. It was pretty clear that TNA chose a losing path in both ways. (Abyss splashed all over. The midcard divisons under assault. Meaningless Hogan people everywhere. Special things about TNA falling away. Going up against Raw on the E's night.)

Spike didn't help some times either. From what I understand, their execs were largely enamored with the idea of having Hogan on their channel. While apparently not realizing (or not caring) that late 50's Hogan is not the same as prime Hogan. To a point they encouraged Dixie's markishness toward the company's grim reaper.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Astonishing Member

Gryph, it was funny but Spike never announced they weren't renewing, so it took me out of it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis View Post
    I look at Jeff falling apart at Victory Road as another dagger in an already critically wounded and creatively amiss company.

2010 was the make or break disaster for the company's longterm fate. Both creatively and popularity wise. Bringing back Hogan was a quick sugar high that did more damage than good even early on. It was pretty clear that TNA chose a losing path in both ways. (Abyss splashed all over. The midcard divisons under assault. Meaningless Hogan people everywhere. Special things about TNA falling away. Going up against Raw on the E's night.)

Spike didn't help some times either. From what I understand, their execs were largely enamored with the idea of having Hogan on their channel. While apparently not realizing (or not caring) that late 50's Hogan is not the same as prime Hogan. To a point they encouraged Dixie's markishness toward the company's grim reaper.
    Wasn't it before Hogan came in that...i think it was Nash, killed everyone in the x division by himself? Or was that Steiner?
    Either way, it was before. So yeah, problems before.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Wasn't it before Hogan came in that...i think it was Nash, killed everyone in the x division by himself? Or was that Steiner?
    Either way, it was before. So yeah, problems before.
    Oh there were problems beforehand. TNA has almost always been a flaky product.

But Hogan and Bisc pretty much buried the Knockouts and also wounded the tag division. (Though I loved 2010's BMI vs MCMG just for itself.)
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Astonishing Member

Meltzer brought up something i hadn't even considered.
    So, TNA is losing money under their current deal. If they happen to stay with Spike it will be at a reduced deal, they aren't still negotiating (if they are) because Spike offered them more money. BUT, they hired that agency, which means they lose whatever spike would want to take away, +15%.
    Under this, let's say spike cuts the deal 15%, add 15%. Now, TNA if they continue, would be losing 30% more money.

Fantastic Member

Meltzer brought up something i hadn't even considered.
    So, TNA is losing money under their current deal. If they happen to stay with Spike it will be at a reduced deal, they aren't still negotiating (if they are) because Spike offered them more money. BUT, they hired that agency, which means they lose whatever spike would want to take away, +15%.
    Under this, let's say spike cuts the deal 15%, add 15%. Now, TNA if they continue, would be losing 30% more money.
    I actually thought about this last week. Surprised more people aren't realizing this. If TNA can't get a comparable deal they really are better off folding at this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2k View Post
    I actually thought about this last week. Surprised more people aren't realizing this. If TNA can't get a comparable deal they really are better off folding at this point.
    Dixie has shown repeatedly she is inept at running a business and will probably take the **** deal they will lose more money on so she can stay on tv.

BANNED

Dixie has shown repeatedly she is inept at running a business and will probably take the **** deal they will lose more money on so she can stay on tv.
    And she'll continue to question why so many of her workers want to jump ship

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    And she'll continue to question why so many of her workers want to jump ship
    But they just signed new talent as well as contract extensions for NON-GUARANTEED contracts based on being paid by appearance only. Why would they jump ship??????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by clayholio View Post
    I definitely don't mind them cribbing ROH's stuff.

Did the TMNT show have more than Eastman & Laird art, or was it focused on them? No complaints either way - it would be awesome to see that old stuff.
    they had stuff from IDW, the old movies, cartoons, etc. i was in it for the mirage stuff though. they also had a mike zeck xhibit with a bunch of original pieces, zeck was one of my favorites as a kid.

But creative wasn't good, if creative was good people would watch the show or buy the ppv. That's the job of creative in wrestling, if it was good people watch and buy, if it wasn't they don't watch and buy.
    Turning Jeff Hardy heel was stupid anyway, he was the most popular act in the company. And they turned Hardy heel and he was going to wrestle 50 year old Sting, that's a sign of failure whether he was messed up or not.
    maybe in a perfect world, but in ours it's just not true. quality doesn't ensure big ratings or buys, and good shows get canceled all the time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post

maybe in a perfect world, but in ours it's just not true. quality doesn't ensure big ratings or buys, and good shows get canceled all the time.
    But in wrestling you can build up good will.
    If it was on some network no one got and it was great for 6 months it wouldn't matter, RoH on HDNET for example.
    But Spike isn't exactly a small network, and while they had a long period of shitty shows they had better numbers (ratingwise) and did better on ppv when they had a hot angle than they do now.

BANNED

well put, LBO

there is no excuse to not strive for quality, but doing so doesn't guarantee you'll be rewarded

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

they had stuff from IDW, the old movies, cartoons, etc. i was in it for the mirage stuff though. they also had a mike zeck xhibit with a bunch of original pieces, zeck was one of my favorites as a kid.

Zeck's awesome. I loved the Punisher mini-series he drew. That sounds like a cool show.

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2k View Post
    Better off for whom? The only people who would seem to benefit from TNA going out of business are people who have been claiming that TNA is going out of business for the last twelve years. Aside from that, I can't think of anyone who's better off.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

BANNED

sometimes, a things time is past

horse and buggy, burlesque, etc