Page 38 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Hard to believe that any TV show that is pulling a 1.0 can't find a home, even if it's on MTV2 or Outdoor Network or something.

Hope the new Knockouts if Jessica Havock.
    WWE main event was doing Impact numbers and was an hour long show and couldn't find a home. Also MTV2 for Impact would kill Impact either way. Who the hell watches that channel? Every wrestling show that has been televised there were pulling .2 ratings. They aren't getting over 10 million in tv rights from MTV2.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEli View Post
    So, NJPW has enough foreign talent, WWE is possibly interested in maybe a few and who the hell knows GFW is doing.
    probably hiring vince russo.

Quote Originally Posted by clayholio View Post
    Bah. People have been saying that TNA has been going out of business pretty much every month since 2002. They're the Keith Richards of wrestling; I'll believe that they're dead when I see it with my own two eyes.
    if TNA does indeed go out all i have to say is i called it 10 yrs ago.

I must have missed that. Any time I saw mention of TNA, it was like spotting a unicorn in the wild.

Why would Spike advertise TNA the week before pulling the plug on it, though?
    me too. i've seen plenty of WWE PPV ads during impact but never anything for impact during RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Im never going to get over Sam Shaw having an apartment with a Hemme shrine, to living with his mom, with no explanation, in the span of a month.
    and a rather nice apt on top of that.

Hey, it's pretty good right now. And they're delivering both big and quality matches.

I'm watching for the same reason I've always watched - there's wrestlers in TNA that I like. And at least for now they're on TV, and not off doing indies somewhere I'll never see them again.
    word. really glad i don't read spoilers or stress over their financial woes. seeing brian cage was a nice surprise.

dix & the real ECW alumni opened with a good promo.

hardyz vs wolves tag title was awesome.

ki vs manik vs zima was predictable but cool

cage vs sanada vs crazy steve was also cool. stupid announcers don't even put over a guy cage's size hitting a lionsault.

ECW reunion is ok.

homicide vs joe vs tiger is good. aways fun to see joe in the ring with homicide if for no other reason than good old nostalgia.

lashley vs aries was damn good. i was really impressed by lashley here. he sold just enough to make it seem aries had a chance but still look unstoppable and monstrous. just very well played on his part.

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2k View Post
    WWE main event was doing Impact numbers and was an hour long show and couldn't find a home. Also MTV2 for Impact would kill Impact either way. Who the hell watches that channel? Every wrestling show that has been televised there were pulling .2 ratings. They aren't getting over 10 million in tv rights from MTV2.
    I suspect Main Event also never seeing guys like Cena might have played into that show losing it's spot - for the last decade, if it doesn't have Cena, it's not really WWE. It's been a good b-level show, but maybe Ion thought they'd be seeing the top guys a little more often.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    probably hiring vince russo.

if TNA does indeed go out all i have to say is i called it 10 yrs ago.

me too. i've seen plenty of WWE PPV ads during impact but never anything for impact during RAW.

and a rather nice apt on top of that.

word. really glad i don't read spoilers or stress over their financial woes. seeing brian cage was a nice surprise.

dix & the real ECW alumni opened with a good promo.

hardyz vs wolves tag title was awesome.

ki vs manik vs zima was predictable but cool

cage vs sanada vs crazy steve was also cool. stupid announcers don't even put over a guy cage's size hitting a lionsault.

ECW reunion is ok.

homicide vs joe vs tiger is good. aways fun to see joe in the ring with homicide if for no other reason than good old nostalgia.

lashley vs aries was damn good. i was really impressed by lashley here. he sold just enough to make it seem aries had a chance but still look unstoppable and monstrous. just very well played on his part.
    Cage was pretty good. I remember not thinking much of him from the Gut Check match a while back, but he would be an interesting addition to the X-Division.

Lashley has really stepped up lately. It's funny that it took MVP's knee injury to get Lashley to really step up, but that whole thing is working right now. And that Aries match was way better than I thought a Lashley match could be.

TNA announced Hardys vs. Dudleys vs. Wolves for one of their upcoming NYC tapings. I'm really looking forward to that.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

I only caught Lashley vs Aries but that was excellent. The best Lashley match I have seen on a long time.

Material like this match is what they should have been doing more of for the last few years.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Jessicka Havok is a fine signing for the Ko's division. A little late though and it won't matter though unless they can secure a tv deal.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis View Post
    Jessicka Havok is a fine signing for the Ko's division. A little late though and it won't matter though unless they can secure a tv deal.
    All these new contracts I am hearing are non-guaranteed so if they fold they don't have to honor them. They aren't an issue one way or another.

Paul Heyman comments about TNA's ECW shows

http://www.newsday.com/sports/pro-wr...yman-1.8944224

CASTILLO: You brought up ECW. At one of those TNA tapings recently at the Manhattan Center it was, again, another ECW revival. It was Tazz and Rhino, and everyone was talking about ECW and soliciting "ECW" chants from the crowd. There ended up being a back-and-forth between Tazz and Wade Keller of the Pro Wrestling Torch about how relevant this is anymore. Is it time to move on? When you see that kind of thing -- the umpteenth ECW revival -- is it heartwarming for you know that there's still that passion for something you helped create? Or do you also think it's kind of time to move on?

HEYMAN: I think it's very much time for anybody and everybody to move on, especially on a product that you're trying to push forward. Nostalgia tours are great, but not in a youth oriented and dominated industry. I think the lesson learned in all this is that Spike TV didn't renew them. And one of the reasons has to be that the most passionate reaction they can get is for a product that went away in 2001. And they've been trying to brand themselves since their inception and they can't get it done. They should have spent that time and energy trying to brand themselves and not trying to elicit a response of an audience based on a product that they don't even own.

Heyman is on fire lately.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

exactly Mr Heyman

nostalgia is nice but you can't build a brand on it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis View Post
    And one of the reasons has to be that the most passionate reaction they can get is for a product that went away in 2001.
    Heyman stealing my lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    exactly Mr Heyman

nostalgia is nice but you can't build a brand on it
    Well, if Dreamer and the Dudleys didn't get a reaction, then's the time to complain about it. The fact that those guys still get a crowd going have more to do with their talent than where they wrestled 15 years ago. But this whole thing is wrapping up next week, so I'm okay with a six week program using part-timers to round out a big feud (and to cater a bit to the local audiences, ensuring hot crowds).

I think it's totally okay to use the ECW people to boost up new people. ECIII has gotten a lot of screen-time, and has actually been hanging with Bully Ray on the mic. At the same time, on the same show, there were multiple matches devoted to determining a new X-Division champ (which is something that's theirs), and a pair of really good title matches involving mostly non-ECW people (unless you want to brand Lashley as ECW, since was an ECW 2.0 champ). Aries and Lashley both came out of that title match looking better (and like a re-match would be worth seeing), and the Wolves got a boost from beating the Hardys.

To me, that looks like a show focused on building their own guys: Lashley/Aries, Wolves, ECIII.
    clayholio

Astonishing Member

Well, if Dreamer and the Dudleys didn't get a reaction, then's the time to complain about it. The fact that those guys still get a crowd going have more to do with their talent than where they wrestled 15 years ago. But this whole thing is wrapping up next week, so I'm okay with a six week program using part-timers to round out a big feud (and to cater a bit to the local audiences, ensuring hot crowds).

I think it's totally okay to use the ECW people to boost up new people. ECIII has gotten a lot of screen-time, and has actually been hanging with Bully Ray on the mic. At the same time, on the same show, there were multiple matches devoted to determining a new X-Division champ (which is something that's theirs), and a pair of really good title matches involving mostly non-ECW people (unless you want to brand Lashley as ECW, since was an ECW 2.0 champ). Aries and Lashley both came out of that title match looking better (and like a re-match would be worth seeing), and the Wolves got a boost from beating the Hardys.

To me, that looks like a show focused on building their own guys: Lashley/Aries, Wolves, ECIII.
    Would have been great for the company if they did it before losing tv and didn't do it in a venue they lost their ass on.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Would have been great for the company if they did it before losing tv and didn't do it in a venue they lost their ass on.
    Has anyone actually released numbers about that? Because there's a difference between losing money and losing their ass on it. I was under the impression that whole deal had to do with the venue raising their price in the future, not for these tapings. What I had read said that ROH or TNA wouldn't be able to run there in the future at those new prices. But it hardly matters - having a good set of tapings is worth losing money if that's what they're using to try to find a new TV deal. It's like printing your resume on the nice stationary instead of on the back of your electric bill.

And they have been doing this for the last few months. They've effectively build Lashley as a champ. They've used Hardy and Bully Ray to build up ECIII (and used Sting's departure, and Kurt Angle's injuries). They've used whoever was available to boost the Wolves, and sent them to Wrestle-1 a couple of times. They ran these tapings before the news about the TV deal came out, too.

It's cool to shovel dirt on them, but let it be for the dumb stuff they actually did (like having Abyss there).
    clayholio

Astonishing Member

Has anyone actually released numbers about that? Because there's a difference between losing money and losing their ass on it. I was under the impression that whole deal had to do with the venue raising their price in the future, not for these tapings. What I had read said that ROH or TNA wouldn't be able to run there in the future at those new prices. But it hardly matters - having a good set of tapings is worth losing money if that's what they're using to try to find a new TV deal. It's like printing your resume on the nice stationary instead of on the back of your electric bill.

And they have been doing this for the last few months. They've effectively build Lashley as a champ. They've used Hardy and Bully Ray to build up ECIII (and used Sting's departure, and Kurt Angle's injuries). They've used whoever was available to boost the Wolves, and sent them to Wrestle-1 a couple of times. They ran these tapings before the news about the TV deal came out, too.

It's cool to shovel dirt on them, but let it be for the dumb stuff they actually did (like having Abyss there).
    Before the venue cost was raised they would have lost money. WWE who can draw 10 times the crowd tna can doesn't do tv in new york because they lose money on it.
    And yes, the show has been better (i agree with all the complaints about the ecw stuff though). Why wasn't the show better in the last 5 years though?

Mighty Member

Final word: Nostalgia Kills.

Shut it down.
    INGOBERNABLES de INTER-WEB