Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default What if the MCU had been built off of Raimi's Spider-Man?

Would it have been better, worse, or the same for you guys? IMO, some things would have been better and some would have been worse.

For one, Raimi's Spider-Man was a lot closer to the comics than Homecoming was. Not to say that that's makes Homecoming bad mind you, but being more like the classic Spider-Man comics we know and love would be a count in the Raimi movies favor. Plus, Molina's Doc Ock was pretty much perfection and exactly how I'd want Ock portrayed in a cinematic universe.

In some ways, though, the way it is now is definitely better. Holland is an amazing Peter Parker. Plus, one of the things that's so great about Homecoming's Peter is his relationship with Tony Stark, being the kid who is trying to hang with the adults and these big time heroes. Maguire was a great Peter Parker too, but he's 41 years old now, older than both Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth. It'd be a little weird having a Spider-Man who is older than both Cap and Thor.

So, thoughts?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-27-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Heh . . .

The Raimi films didn't really leave much space for sequels, killing off A-list villains and setting up a narrative where Peter's likely to retire as Spider-Man to be with MJ.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It was a self-contained and highly accelerated timeline with the origin (1960s), death of the Green Goblin (1970s), relationship with MJ (1980s), conversion of Harry from good guy to bad guy and good guy again (1970s through 1990s), and Venom's introduction (1980s-1990s). But it successfully brought Peter from a rebellious kid to an adult.

Might make more sense had that Peter been recruited by the Avengers. His Spider-Man was way more competent than the Holland Spider-Man, being able to go toe-to-toe with some pretty powerful bad guys. Peter, May and MJ could move in with Stark and MJ could become a member of Stark's staff. Peter could actually hold his own in sciency conversations with Stark and Banner.

If this route had happened, I could see Spider-Man teaming with the Avengers for the first time in Age of Ultron.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Nah, I actually liked the fact that the Raimi movies were standalone as Spider-Man, in the same sense that the Christopher Reeve movies were standalone as Superman. I have honestly come to feel that the whole shared movie universe idea is overrated. It has begun feeling bland to me personally. I just feel that those "standalone" movies like The Dark Knight movies by Nolan feel more at stake knowing there's zero possibility of the flash coming in as a deus ex machina to stop the bomb in Gotham, because let's face it, the immense speed of Barry Allen would let him sweep through Gotham and find the bomb truck. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man being standalone was alright, especially with the stories it told as a trilogy arc (The Fall of the Osborn family, Harry's Redemption via saving Peter and MJ, villains that I felt for somewhat like the Raimi Doctor Octopus, etc.)
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

BANNED

It would feel more out outdated than anything

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Nope. I like the Sam Raimi trilogy as it is.

One extremely bright side - we'd have a JJJ and Robbie Robertson.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    It would feel more out outdated than anything
    I don't think it would be outdated as much as it would be very stylistically different.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think you still would have the everyman vibe but he'd be more of a contemporary to the avengers than in high school. The lack of villians wouldn't have been a problem because they would just push others that weren't shown before like what they did with Vulture.

The moviebob video someone else posted summed it up well.

I think Garfield's take on Spidey in the Amazing Spiderman might have been a better choice to bring in than the Maguire spidey since he can capture the young man adrift vibe Pete tends to have.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think it would be outdated as much as it would be very stylistically different.
    Rami's movies where beholden to the 70's and they feel like that with a few touches here and there to say it's present day

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I'm really not sure if it would have been good, but it means that we could have had a Dark Reign movie with Willem Dafoe, which I would have been 100% on-board for.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Rami's movies where beholden to the 70's and they feel like that with a few touches here and there to say it's present day
    Yeah, but that's kind of what was great about them. They had a very classic Spider-Man aesthetic and pretty much captured classic Spider-Man comics to a T. The only marked differences were him knowing MJ in high school and her personality was not as carefree as it was in the comics and the organic web-shooters. Everything else, though, was essentially copy-pasted right from the comic book page.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-28-2017 at 10:27 PM.

The Raimi films didn't really leave much space for sequels, killing off A-list villains and setting up a narrative where Peter's likely to retire as Spider-Man to be with MJ.
    To be fair the Sam Raimi movies aren't the only superhero movies to kill off their villains.
    The Tim Burton Batman movies killed off both the Joker and the Penguin. Catwoman was only spared cause of potential spin-off plans that never happend.
    The Joel Schumacher movies tone down the villain deaths, but they still killed off Twoface, and things weren't looking good for Poison Ivy when we last saw her with her cellmate Mr. Freeze.
    Plus the MCU is also guilty of killing off it's villains.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    To be fair the Sam Raimi movies aren't the only superhero movies to kill off their villains.
    The Tim Burton Batman movies killed off both the Joker and the Penguin. Catwoman was only spared cause of potential spin-off plans that never happend.
    The Joel Schumacher movies tone down the villain deaths, but they still killed off Twoface, and things weren't looking good for Poison Ivy when we last saw her with her cellmate Mr. Freeze.
    Plus the MCU is also guilty of killing off it's villains.
    Yeah I don't think killing off A-list villains would be that much of a problem for the MCU. Has there even been a villain Tony hasn't killed in his own movies?