View Poll Results: How would you rate BRAND NEW DAY?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

23 36.51%
  • Bad

19 30.16%
  • Mediocre

21 33.33%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The issue immediately following OMD through the issue where Harry moves away. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but i's around 100 issues.
    (Actually, the OP lists the issue numbers up top)
    Oh, I missed that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    So-so. I think the fact there were multiple writers stopped it from better than it was. Having said that, it wasn't that bad so I went with ''Mediocre''.
    As did I. Brand New Day wasn't so much an awful period (unlike the Denny O'Neil stint, the latter half of The Clone Saga, the Howard Mackie relaunch and the current Worldwide arc) as much as it was a bland and forgettable one. Again, that was a big problem for me because the destination ended up not being worth the journey (namely One More Day).

Also, I thought having at least eight different writers on the book was a bad idea. It led to many inconsistencies in terms of quality.
    Last edited by Masked Guy; 07-24-2017 at 12:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Blatant lies

Have you even read eighties Spidey? Because BND was the total opposite of it.

Can you name one likable or essential character, moment, relationship or memorable long runner from that era? Things that resonated over the last ten years? Things that felt earned?

Eighties Spider Man's characters, moments and relationships on the other hand are among the most talked about and essential in the book's history.
    I tend to have a very similar thought whenever somebody says that Brand New Day "recaptured" the 1980s feel. That being said, please try to be respectful of others opinions. Nobody is lying here.

IMO terrible. I found it to be slow, convoluted, and ultimately boring. It regressed the character to being a joke. In fact I would even argue it goes against the theme of Spider-Man. I ended up giving it up after the first four issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chapok View Post
    Worst arc ever, not even for the marriage end. The bad thing is, BND cemented all the things that are horribly wrong with Peter's/Spider-man's character nowadays.
    I would tend to agree that Brand New Day created the multiple grievances I have with the book nowadays (namely Norman Osborn not knowing Spider-Man's secret identity, all of Aunt May's character progression during JMS's run being reversed, Peter and Mary Jane not being together and the general childishness of Peter's character).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    For the record, what exactly is considered the range of Brand New Day? (Like, when is it considered finished, with the next era/branding/series/whatever taking over?)
    Brand New Day officially "ended" at Amazing vol. 1 #647 and the Big Time era launched with issue #648.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Well, it was an attempt to do the Romita, Sr. era redux, but I liked it. More than anything since, in fact.

Had plenty of things I didn't care for: another goblin, everything with the Kravinovs (I know people like Grim Hunt, but it's so over-the-top is its utter messed-upedness with the ritual dark magic human sacrifices and manipulating the Lizard into eating his son that the complaints about Johnny's joke in PP:SSM strike me as odd in comparison).

But overall I enjoyed the general feel of the book. And with Spider-Man that's really the thing for me.

And I hope they bring Norah back at some point . . . maybe with the return of the Bugle.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, Tuck. Honestly, I didn't care for Norah Winters (or any of the new characters introduced during this time), so I can't say I'm excited at the prospect of seeing her again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    IMO terrible. I found it to be slow, convoluted, and ultimately boring. It regressed the character to being a joke. In fact I would even argue it goes against the theme of Spider-Man. I ended up giving it up after the first four issues.
    I can't say you were missing much if that's the case.

It was Spectacular Spider-Man quality. Less than I expect from ASM, felt like a satellite title. Unevenly paced with the rotating artists. Some stories were good, some bad, but all felt like they weren't really going to count for much long-term.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Bland New Day was shit then, and it's still shit now.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    Brand New Day officially "ended" at Amazing vol. 1 #647 and the Big Time era launched with issue #648.
    To me Bland New Day never ended, and it never will till Marvel comes to their senses, does the right thing, and brings the marriage back, and makes Spider-Man great again.

I probably could've gone with mediocre,but I decided on bad. It was a massive drop from pre-OMD,and as other's have stated,was the beginning of the horrible elements(such as manchild Peter) that plague the book to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    For the record, what exactly is considered the range of Brand New Day? (Like, when is it considered finished, with the next era/branding/series/whatever taking over?)
    The period when Amazing Spider-man came out three times a month with a team of writers is considered the Brand New Day era (Amazing Spider-Man #546-647.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

While there were some arcs that weren't particularly memorable I really enjoyed the era, especially during the gauntlet\grim hunt arcs. Those Rhino issues would have to rank as some of the characters best. I'd picked up ASM for various stages over the years but BND was where it become a steadfast part of my pull list.

Fantastic Member

Mediocre. While there were some good stories (New ways to die, unscheduled stop, shed come to mind immediately) all in all it was a failure. The stories were mostly forgettable retreads of stuff from the 70s and 80s. It undid a lot of fantastic developments (Kraven, Harry) for nothing and every time it looked like doing something new, it went in the same bland direction.

It is easily the worst period in the history of the character

Astonishing Member

I would had voted great in this tyopic but there is no option like that to vote so i voted good.
    It was a run of stories that i enjoyed Reading a lot and keep re-Reading them every so often.
    And there should be one more positive option to vote,because Bad and Mediocre are quite similiar and then there is just the option to vote good.