pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default Your version of DC's "Young Guns" artists?

So a few weeks ago, Marvel released another promo showing off their new version of their Young Guns. And it got me thinking, "who would DC showcase in a promo like this?" Plus I was inspired by http://community.comicbookresources....C-Artist/page5

I'm not sure what exactly are the criteria for Marvel's Young Guns (I mean, an award winner on one of its premier titles for the past few years was on the list...), but for DC's, I'd guess it'd be...:

- under 35~40...ish?
    - have only been doing Big 2/any reputable work for a few years
    - has not worked on JL/JLI/JLA/JLU (as a regular artist)

So w/ this in mind, if DC came to you and said "hey, give us 4-7 DC artists that should be showcased in a free promo in LCSs", whom would you pick?

I think I'd pick...:

Jason Fabok
    Mikel Janin
    Aaron Kuder
    Emanuela Lupacchino
    Kenneth Rocafort
    Andrea Sorrentino

You?
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 07-11-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Zircher is a vet...

Astonishing Member

Zircher has been such a mainstay in the industry for so long I don't know if he counts.

I'd agree with Janin, Kuder, Sorrentino and Rocaforte. Maybe next would be McCarthy, for me.

Lots of guys like Chiang, Manapul, Bernard Chang, and many others would be up there for quality but are too established.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

The three that come to mind are Inaki Miranda (Coffin Hill), Mikel Janin, and Andrea Sorrentino. I keep hearing great things about Kuder, but I haven't actually read one of his books yet.

Patrick Zircher has been working in the industry for around 20 years. He's great, but I don't think he qualifies.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Zircher is a vet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Zircher has been such a mainstay in the industry for so long I don't know if he counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Patrick Zircher has been working in the industry for around 20 years. He's great, but I don't think he qualifies.
    Yeah, I was thinking of that, but he's only really started getting significant notoriety the past half decade or so, right? I dont think anyone outside forums ever mentioned him, that i recall, til he was on Hulk. And Future's End is his first X-over event? I dunno, I was kinda thinking like Mark Brooks and Salvador Larocca. Both have been pencilling for Marvel for over a decade, but Larocca just started getting BIG big w/ his Iron Man run and Brooks w/ his just more frequent and improved Marvel work.

I dunno, maybe just the increase of social media or comic forums the past half decade has skewed my perspective on who was "big" in the mid-00s and before. I don't remember anyone in my LCS's talking of the 3 aforementioned guys, even when Larocca was on X-Men (downtime for them in the 00s, though...).

the previous incarnations of the Young Guns made sense, I think just b/c the forums/social media wasn't as pertinent. But now w/ how "in the now" we can be now w/ the net, half of the new Young Guns seemed like stars to me already. Maybe I'm thinking too mainstream for this promo, though...which I think is the point?

edit:
    but meh, fair enough. No point defending the choice. Marquee titles aside, I suppose Zircher's not a "youngen". I can just replace (or remove) him. I guess Jeremy Roberts would fit the bill nicely for something promotional like this.

edit2: actually, I'd pick Fabok
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 07-11-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

I don't see any problem with your choice of Zircher, bearing in mind that Marvel chose a great deal of vets too.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of that, but he's only really started getting significant notoriety the past half decade or so, right? I dont think anyone outside forums ever mentioned him, that i recall, til he was on Hulk. And Future's End is his first X-over event? I dunno, I was kinda thinking like Mark Brooks and Salvador Larocca. Both have been pencilling for Marvel for over a decade, but Larocca just started getting BIG big w/ his Iron Man run and Brooks w/ his just more frequent and improved Marvel work.
    I'd say Terror, Inc MAX was the book where he truly blossomed, and Thor: Ages of Thunder was when he started really getting recognized. Before that, he was known as a dependable pro.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I'd agree with Janin, Kuder, Sorrentino...McCarthy, for me.
    This. Exactly this.