Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd like to see a storyline that gets rid of Kang once and for all.
    That would be a terrible idea. Young Avengers established that Kang is basically essential to the very proper existence of the MU timeline. When young Nathaniel tried to kill his older self, he caused a MASSIVE time paradox that fucked everything up. Wiccan and Hulkling were erased from existence, Jessica Jones lost her baby, etc.... Most of Avengers history was basically gone. So like it or not, Kang HAS to live and exist as Kang for things to be the way they're supposed to be.

BANNED

they have used kang for so many storylines with him being erased or killed but he keeps coming back. The only way they could add anything to the kang mythos is if he transcends humanity by absorbing Galactus or eon steals 10 years from marvel heroes who then forget his existence and have immortus and rama rut alongwith doom and Legion appearing as contenders for the mysterious foe who stole time with each villains antagonist team investigating them to keep readers guessing until kang is revealed as the author of marvel Time Reborn The rebirth of the heroic age!!!! nothing will remain the same!!! wait...remembers korvac saga DC rebirth the cosmic Madonna storylines.oh forget it!
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 07-24-2017 at 10:36 PM.

The Kang Dynasty story back in the early 2000's should have been line wide. It went on for almost a year and half in the Avengers book and had Kang basically taking over the world, but no other titles even mentioned it. It made the story feel small since it effected nothing outside the one book it was running in. I mean the story ran from issues 41-55 of the Avengers book and not even books like Captain America or Iron Man even crossed over with it.
    That's why I could not get into that story. It had kang taking over the world and he even blows up a state. Every hero in the world would attack him! Bad guys would also attack him for getting in their way! If they had a in story excuse on why the fantastic four, hulk, secret defenders and X-Men didn't show up it would have been better. Kang froze most of earths heroes in time or removed them from the timeline. ANYTHING. I kept waiting for the story to end due to how unrealistic it was with no other heroes fighting kang. I loved kurts avengers run but hated this story. Ironic thing is the lego marvel 2 version of this story does have all the heroes fighting him! Not just 12 heroes out of a whole planet of heroes.

Could they? Absolutely, in fact I'd love a company wide event that's actually focused on a real established villain rather than hero vs. hero or hero turned bad.

Should they? Not right now, and imo not for a few years. Event fatigue is real.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

The problem is all in the approach. Kang Dynasty was a story that organically demanded to be a line-wide event. Sort of like Onslaught, where you had the main story run basically through the X-Men and Avengers books, and other books showed how these events were affecting them (mind you, I'm not saying that Onsluaght was a good story, mind you, but the format was, IMHO, fine). Yet, internal conflict and burrocracy ruined that. However, Marvel's current approach seems to be, I want to do an event and I'm going to outline my story to milk it as much as I can as an event. IMHO, that always leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    As it is, Kang Dynasty remains one of my Top Ten favorite Avengers stories, and, alongside Avengers Forever, is the definitive Kang Story (Remenders Uncanny showed potential, however, IMHO, got lost in many much less interesting subplots. It tried too hard, and the story simply didn't flow. Plus, Rogue and Wolverine, and even Havok - one of my favorite Marvel characters, even if this story seemed to have ruined him quite a bit - are not characters I'm intrested in seeing in an Avengers book).

Peace

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I guess we should also add "Again." Do you think Marvel will do another Kang event that crosses all titles. He did one before, Evolutionary War.
    The Evolutionary War was not Kang focused. The High Evolutionary was the protagonist. I'd like to see a story where the one true Kang sets forth to eliminate all other versions of himself in all timelines causing some alternate Kangs to seek the heroes help.

Extraordinary Member

The reaction to "Kang Dynasty" shows the downside of leaving writers alone to do their stories without tie-ins and events. The upside is that Avengers got to tell its own story its own way for a year and a half, and didn't have to worry about fitting in with what was happening in other books. (So Thor has an arc about learning to embrace humanity and not valuing humans less because they will die - but that arc is exclusive to Avengers and the Thor book, from the same editor, was telling a different story.) The downside is that many fans don't think a story "counts" as much if its impact isn't reflected in the rest of the line, and Kang's invasion basically had absolutely no effect on any other book. Even Geoff Johns's Avengers started by showing that Washington D.C. was back to normal.

On the whole I'd rather see stories told their own way even if it means that other books won't mention it, but it is a problem in a shared universe. Like Vision was great in part because it wasn't forced to tie in with anything - but to get that run, we have to accept the fact that basically no other book has acknowledged what happened in it (except for the existence of Viv, who is almost a different character now).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I guess we should also add "Again." Do you think Marvel will do another Kang event that crosses all titles. He did one before, Evolutionary War.
    Wasn't that the High Evolutionary in that event ?

Thing is, you would need everyone on the same page which Empire and CW2 have not. You can tell with those two events everyone disagreed on how CW2 would be handled.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Honestly the way most current Marvel writers handle time travel stories I would rather see Kang just stay on the shelf for now. None of Marvel current writers can do a time travel story in a way that makes sense to save their lives. Bendis being the biggest culprit.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Honestly the way most current Marvel writers handle time travel stories I would rather see Kang just stay on the shelf for now. None of Marvel current writers can do a time travel story in a way that makes sense to save their lives. Bendis being the biggest culprit.
    One thing "Kang Dynasty" showed, for me anyway, is that Kang is more interesting when his story isn't all about time travel and his alternate personalities. This story focused on Kang as a warrior and military strategist, who wants to win with "honor" but considers it honorable to murder millions of people as an act of war. That sets him apart from Ultron, who just wants to wipe out humanity, or other villains who just want to rule humanity. Kang cares mostly about victory (which is why he doesn't just use time travel to kill the Avengers as babies or whatever: what would be the victory in that?). Ruling the world is the boring part of his job.
    Last edited by gurkle; 07-25-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    That would be a terrible idea. Young Avengers established that Kang is basically essential to the very proper existence of the MU timeline. When young Nathaniel tried to kill his older self, he caused a MASSIVE time paradox that fucked everything up. Wiccan and Hulkling were erased from existence, Jessica Jones lost her baby, etc.... Most of Avengers history was basically gone. So like it or not, Kang HAS to live and exist as Kang for things to be the way they're supposed to be.
    Can be easily ignored.

A lot of writers do what they like without a care for continuity.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Can be easily ignored.

A lot of writers do what they like without a care for continuity.
    So, because some writers suck at continuity we should support ideas that enables them to continue to do so?

Also, stopping Nathaniel from becoming Kang has recently caused trouble in the main Avengers book as well, so it's still recent canon... editorial can't be that dumb to not remember it.

Astonishing Member

With Kang, you are pretty much able to place him anywhere. You can use him as a tool to correct continuity or do a subtle retcon.

For example, you want to explain how Klaw escaped capture from the Wakandans so long or even was able to discover the land in the first place. You want to explain away the slap, say Kang drugged Pym.

Can they do it? Yes of course.

Will they ever do it? Maybe, but not now and not until they get back the FF franchise rights from Fox. For some odd reason (Rama-Tut maybe?).
    I believe Kang rights reside with the FFs and Kang is not big enough comic wise to warrant Marvel "forgetting" about that little fact like they did with Doom for Secret Wars.