Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I love how you targeted the black character for replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Um, please don't use the word oriental to describe Asian people. They find it offensive
    Yeah, I almost forgot what year it was when I heard that lol
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

I'm of Chinese-American heritage myself, and growing up, the "Asian" DC and Marvel characters generally didn't reflect anything I recognized from my parents' native culture. While this did not offend me, it did nothing to interest or engage me either.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    ABC?! Are you a Mandarin or Cantonese speaker? I wanna learn, but it seems brutal

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You want an asian character how about Striker Z (Daniel Tsang) from the Power Company. He has a good power set and look and is actually from China.

BANNED

Moreover, unless the writer himself/herself is of Asian heritage or raised with an Asian heritage, throwing in an Asian character based on non-Asian ideas of what Asians are supposedly like (from an outsider's perspective) results in stereotyping at worst and (for Asians) an inaccurate representation at best. That probably wouldn't help matters.

I'm of Chinese-American heritage myself, and growing up, the "Asian" DC and Marvel characters generally didn't reflect anything I recognized from my parents' native culture. While this did not offend me, it did nothing to interest or engage me either.

Generally, I consider stereotypes and racist writings to be a failure of craft. You were too lazy to do your homework or do any research to do things right.

That's kinda inexcusable these days. There's the internet. And there are Asian and Asian American creative people you can work with to develop characters.

BANNED

This is your JLC

From new super-man.add dr.light and striker z and it would be awesome

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    This is your JLC

From new super-man.add dr.light and striker z and it would be awesome
    Now I can just imagine what Dr. Light would say to Kenan....

...though I think she and his mom would get along pretty well....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Now I can just imagine what Dr. Light would say to Kenan....

...though I think she and his mom would get along pretty well....

And that's how you make a great comic lol

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've been wanting to read New Super-Man, but I'm afraid of getting invested and then it winding up being canceled or something.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Generally, I consider stereotypes and racist writings to be a failure of craft. You were too lazy to do your homework or do any research to do things right.

That's kinda inexcusable these days. There's the internet. And there are Asian and Asian American creative people you can work with to develop characters.
    Well, doing research and working with an Asian or Asian-American collaborator would probably mitigate some of the worst problems, but it wouldn't go very far in resolving the fundamental problem, which remains that the writer would be writing a character from a culture about which the writer has only limited, superficial, secondhand knowledge. Really, a writer who wants to credibly write about a character from another culture would need to immerse himself/herself completely within that culture...as many aspect of it as possible, for at least several years. There's a limit to how much a person can understand another culture by reading about it; the person really has to live in it for an extended time to really understand it.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 07-25-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    ABC?! Are you a Mandarin or Cantonese speaker? I wanna learn, but it seems brutal
    American-born Chinese. My folks are both ethnic Chinese born and raised in Hong Kong back during the British colonial era.

I'm a Cantonese speaker. It wasn't difficult for me because it was my first language as a child, but I understand it to be quite a struggle for anybody coming into it later in life.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Taking a moment to appreciate Gene Roddenberry, Peter David and Chris Claremont for their works that involved characters of diverse races and cultures without resorting to stereotype.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You want an asian character how about Striker Z (Daniel Tsang) from the Power Company. He has a good power set and look and is actually from China.

Ha, I was a fan of him (and Witchfire and Manhunter, from the Power Company), and had forgotten he was Chinese. Cool character. He was around before it hit big, but seems very much like the sort of hero who'd have an active social media presence.

I'm generally most fond of 'ethnic' characters who don't have powers tied to their culture. Batman, Wolverine, etc. don't have 'white powers,' so I'd prefer for Native American characters (to pick one egregious example) having powers related to totem animals or names like Black Crow or Red Wolf or [Color] [Animal], or for Japanese characters not to have 'rising sun' or 'kamikaze' powers or carry katanas or be ninja or samurai.

Later Legion of Super-Hero additions, mostly from China, included Dragonwing, able to spit fire or acid, Harmonia Li, with control of the four classical western elements (including air, which isn't a classical Chinese element!) and Chemical Kid, with control of chemical reactions, none of them particularly 'Asian' in theme. Marvel similarly has had a few Asian characters who didn't have samurai or ninja or 'rising sun' powers, like Karma, of the New Mutants, Silk, with Spider-Man powers, Amadeus Cho, currently a Hulk, Surge, with speed and electrical powers, or newer character, Nature Girl, with animal and plant communication/control abilities. I like that sort of thing more than Sunfire or Silver Samurai, which feel a little bit on the nose...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

American-born Chinese. My folks are both ethnic Chinese born and raised in Hong Kong back during the British colonial era.

I'm a Cantonese speaker. It wasn't difficult for me because it was my first language as a child, but I understand it to be quite a struggle for anybody coming into it later in life.

Glad to know this about you Buried.

Word. I'm Laotian but had a lot of Cantonese speaking roomies in college. Made me want to learn. I could only say Happy New Year and "Pretty Girl" and probably random veggies lol.