Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Secret Empire X-Men Blue #8 Review (Spoilers)

Summary: Jimmy and Jean have been blasted by Havok into the forest while Jean is telepathically masking their presence. The love triangle senses are tingling with a shirtless Jimmy walking around. Enter the Blackbird which has progressed from showing up where they want to talking with them. On New Tian Fatal Attraction Emma has teen Scott into her chambers. Emma is confusing teen Scott and adult Scott. Emma tells him that when she is through with him that he will be exactly what she wants him to be. He tells her he won’t let her control him/use him the way she did the other him.

Angel, Iceman and Beast are elsewhere talking. Angel believes Magneto will come while Bobby questions why as Magneto is just letting Hydra and Emma take over the world. Meanwhile Briar is in top quality accommodations as Havok tries to convince her into talking about where Magneto is doesn’t get him very far, but she is hoping Havok does torture her because it would be fun.

Magneto has a conversation with Ferris about why he is laid back having a drink and letting the teens fail and letting the world go to shit. Magneto tells him he made a promise to stay out of it, but doesn’t mean he won’t he be providing adequate support by proxy. Jean and Jimmy go into battle to rescue the rest of the team and suddenly the X-Men arrive, but no it’s something a bit more dangerous pardon the pun which keeps the mutants and guards occupied. Jean and Jimmy enter the palace where Havok stops them and gives them an ultimatum.

The wall suddenly blows up and Havok realizes he has a major problem when the Mistress of Magnetism appears promising a reunion about as warm and tender as their almost wedding.

Review: Emma takes another step deeper into obsession as she wishes to control young Scott if he wants it or not. It’s not easy to see her fall apart and it is clear bottom hasn’t been reached. The potential for budding teen romance is contrasted with Emma trying to resurrect a dead relationship.

In the meantime Magneto reappears and it’s clear he is content, but not quite happy in the role of manager from afar, but he proves he still can do serious contingency planning in old German form. It was really good to see Danger again as last I saw her was on ANXF over two years. Lorna’s reappearance though not quite in unconventional fashion was still strong.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-26-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Nice review!!

Who else besides the Blue X-Men, Magneto and Emma appear in this issue?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Incredible Member

I really believe that the the romantic triagle is editorial mandate crap.

Wouldn't it be great if Emma deposits all of the adult Scott memories on the young Scott, I mean like merging both or something. And in the generations one-shot Jean and Jeen merge together too.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Who else besides the Blue X-Men, Magneto and Emma appear in this issue?
    The same mutants who appeared in issue #7 along with the two new characters (Danger and Lorna) mentioned in the review.

This series along with Marvel in general is being extremely hard on the time displaced teens adult years. The underlying message is very clear with the teens wanting to avoid becoming what their adult selves became or in Jimmy's case adult Wolverine became. There is even a line where teen Jean warns Jimmy from killing anyone and his first thought is he isn't a certain other clawed character he never knew very well and that he isn't him. Adult Scott and Emma's relationship for Scott is the ultimate representation of what he doesn't want to become.

It's kinda sad to see Emma Frost like that. The character assassination is real.

emma trying to turn b*tchclops into Rightclops?��

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    This series along with Marvel in general is being extremely hard on the time displaced teens adult years. The underlying message is very clear with the teens wanting to avoid becoming what their adult selves became or in Jimmy's case adult Wolverine became. There is even a line where teen Jean warns Jimmy from killing anyone and his first thought is he isn't a certain other clawed character he never knew very well and that he isn't him. Adult Scott and Emma's relationship for Scott is the ultimate representation of what he doesn't want to become.
    Which is stupid given that their circumstances have changed inmensly since they arrived at the present with all the bad things that happened to them, having already happened, so it's like they were given a second chance in life like that movie 13 going 30 lol. But anyways I know that the teens are some sort of reboot on the characters and that Marvel is pushing this versions really hard. But one can dream.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

A lot of moving parts, but Bunn does a good job balancing it all. I do wish that this arc was longer so that we could have a little more breathing room, as things move very fast in this issue. The Emma and Scott interactions continue to be odd, but Emma having this younger Cyclops reminder her of the older one is something she did in IvX, so isn't too shocking. Not too much time is spent with Jean and Jimmy, as we bounce around from Briar and Alex, and then to Magneto. The highlights of the issue have to be the two reveals towards the end of the book. Danger and Polaris! Man, I was excited to see Lorna showing up at the end of Blue, and there to knock some sense into Havok. Polaris blowing through that wall was awesome, and the minute I saw those wisps of green with the rubble, I knew Polaris was showing up as the cavalry. Obviously Lorna was one of the resources Magneto had in terms of supporting the X-Men.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldscottsummers View Post
    emma trying to turn b*tchclops into Rightclops?��
    AnyClops would do honestly just not this one.

BANNED

Great issue! Lots of fun but it does feel rushed.

Not much happened with Emma and Scott for me to form an opinion. I actually feel we got more Emma last issue. One more issue and the tie-in is done right?

Incredible Member

It looks to me that for Polaris this would be just a one-shot story and then she will gone forever again *sigh*. Although I haven't checked future solicits of Blue have they came out?

I wonder if Marvel will try to make some sinergy with her now with the Gifted show coming out.

So Magneto sends Emma's friend Danger after her? Emma had to do community service at Avengers Academy cause of Dangers love life ffs.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 07-26-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    It looks to me that for Polaris this would be just a one-shot story and then she will gone forever again *sigh*. Although I haven't checked future solicits of Blue have they came out?
    I don't think she will be gone for another 2+ years, more likely she becomes the public face of the teens management given their manager is trying to play dead and the rest of the super hero world with half a brain as seen by Emma and Havok doesn't really believe the teens are managing themselves.

If accurate it would keep her in a low profile role as in not big enough to be on covers or solicits beyond this arc, but as a trade off she gets to be involved at least somewhat mutant related stuff for the first time since the middle of last decade.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-26-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks for the review.

Well with the adult Cyclops dead and Beast going to UA left only Emma to get all the garbage dumped on her .

It's funny when you look at the cover or remember that cover that was altered with Emma fighting the Hydra.

Well at least Polaris and Danger are back ( surprised with Danger did not expect this) .

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    I really believe that the the romantic triagle is editorial mandate crap.

Wouldn't it be great if Emma deposits all of the adult Scott memories on the young Scott, I mean like merging both or something. And in the generations one-shot Jean and Jeen merge together too.
    I would love that!

Definitely would open up story potentials