Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #5 Discussion/Spoilers

The plot of this issue can be summarized as follows:

spoilers:

Kaine: Die!
    Ben: Let's talk about this.
    Ben: What if we talk about this while sword fighting?
    Ben: Okay, I have trapped you, now can we talk about this?
    Kaine: Die! BAM
    Ben: You shot me! I'm trying to save a little girl's life!
    Kaine: Okay, I will let you cure her. Then, Die!
    end of spoilers

I do hope Kaine sticks around permanently, his and Ben's interaction is just too fun.

Best issue yet. The book's starting to hit its stride.

It was really cool finally seeing the two Scarlet Spiders going at it, and displaying what makes them both different.

Interesting little twist at the end, too.

I liked how the issue touched on the grey of both Kaine and Ben, even if the latter is essentially a new character and will remain so.
    I was iffy on whether Kaine would actually want to go through with killing Ben despite his pleas, but then I remembered he's a stubborn one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Best issue yet. The book's starting to hit its stride.

It was really cool finally seeing the two Scarlet Spiders going at it, and displaying what makes them both different.

Interesting little twist at the end, too.
    Agreed...I'm really enjoying this book and love what PAD is doing.

BANNED

it felt a little like wolverine vs deadpool encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I liked how the issue touched on the grey of both Kaine and Ben, even if the latter is essentially a new character and will remain so.
    I was iffy on whether Kaine would actually want to go through with killing Ben despite his pleas, but then I remembered he's a stubborn one.
    What I'm left wondering about is whether or not Kaine will come to kill Ben in the end or if he'll change his mind about that should Ben prove himself to him. At very least, for the moment, Kaine is kinda like Ben's parole officer.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Am I the only one that's still lowkey bothered by Ben's face? That always seemed to be Kaine's thing. Not to mention the hair... I'm enjoying the title in general but it's the aesthetic things that bother me, haha.

I'd have also preferred if they kept the rebooted costume so maybe I just have tastes that are, in general, opposed to most Scarlet Spider fans. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Am I the only one that's still lowkey bothered by Ben's face? That always seemed to be Kaine's thing. Not to mention the hair... I'm enjoying the title in general but it's the aesthetic things that bother me, haha.

I'd have also preferred if they kept the rebooted costume so maybe I just have tastes that are, in general, opposed to most Scarlet Spider fans. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I figure Ben's scaring and brown hair is just a visual symbol of Ben's psychological scars and identity crisis with Peter. Hopefully he will go back to his old look when he eventually reforms.

This book is a bit unique in that the title character isn't really the hero of the story. At least, not as of right now.

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

I had a blast reading this issue. Art was good, the fight was cool, and that twist in the end caught me off guard. I legit chuckled when spoilers:
    Kaine shot Ben with the Museum's gun.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    This book is a bit unique in that the title character isn't really the hero of the story. At least, not as of right now.
    Nobody is doing anything particularly heroic in this book - save perhaps, in this issue, for the (not real) Black Knight!

Kaine certainly isn't acting heroic, y'know?

What's funny is that Kaine wants to kill Ben for what Ben did during Clone Conspiracy - which apparently involved killing people and the manipulation of innocent people as well - but Kaine has his own history of monstrous actions that have yet to be spoken of by either of them. You'd think Ben would bring up, point-blank, all the atrocities that Kaine committed when he was a degenerating maniac!

Honestly, the only thing that really bothered me in this issue was Kaine's insistence that Ben needed to die because he's a "criminal" - as if he has forgotten that people can redeem themselves. It seems a little silly, but then again Kaine has always been ruled by his emotions more so than his critical thinking skills.

What I'm loving about this series so far is that, for the most part, both Ben and Kaine sound like themselves and yet it also is very much a PAD comic. The whole swords thing in this issue?! Totally PAD! I never would've thought of such a thing, y'know? But it worked. It was funny, and honestly I wanted more Scarlet Spider-Men With Swords than we got!

As far as Ben's characterization goes, I continue feeling more and more like this is the Ben we've always known - just changing as we all change. PAD captures his voice, his upbeat attitude in the face of bleak conditions, extremely well. PAD's addition of an almost manic-positivity strikes me as in-character for Ben considering what he's gone through. Yet there's that moment where he gives into his darkness and gives Kaine the second option of getting his face beat in (or something like that) - and I felt like that worked for Ben's characterization, too: before Ben was the "happy, single, blonde" Spidey, he was to be the darker Spidey due to his experiences as a loner on the road. This dichotomy has always been a part of what makes Ben tick as a character, and I see that continuation here. But reading about Ben is now, for me, more fun than ever! Who knows what might happen between him and Kaine, or him and Diva, or him and anyone? I'm excited to find out.

Oh, I also thought it was interesting that our evil-richguy-rivals are brother and sister considering the relationship of our Scarlet protagonist/antagonist focus!

Supposedly, these next two issues are really going to be something! I can't wait to see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    I figure Ben's scaring and brown hair is just a visual symbol of Ben's psychological scars and identity crisis with Peter. Hopefully he will go back to his old look when he eventually reforms.
    Right there with you, MW! Ben was always the "perfect clone" and his actions reflected that: he tried to be more Peter Parkery than even Peter himself! But now he knows he's a clone; he's been tortured and scarred mentally, emotionally, and physically. And yet he's trying to persevere.

What I love about both Ben and Kaine is that they are essentially walking "What If Peter Parker...?s." The complexities of identity on display are fascinating to see explored!

-Pav, who misses Kaine having precog powers...
    Last edited by Pav; 07-27-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I'm really enjoying this book. I feel like Kaine's hypocrisy can be called out on and lead to some fun little drama. Though I do eventually want them to come to a truce. Still this has been a fun ride so far. I'm also glad we got confirmation of Aracely's survival. I wonder if that means she'll make a cameo or be part of the supporting cast later?

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I'm really enjoying this book. I feel like Kaine's hypocrisy can be called out on and lead to some fun little drama. Though I do eventually want them to come to a truce. Still this has been a fun ride so far. I'm also glad we got confirmation of Aracely's survival. I wonder if that means she'll make a cameo or be part of the supporting cast later?
    Hopefully the book succeeds in reaching people and sustaining a devoted readership. I have to imagine we'd end up seeing Hummingbird sooner rather than later. And PAD is one of Marvel's best writers in terms of utilizing continuity, so I have to imagine he'll use the seeds that Yost planted exceptionally well.

I'm glad so many people posting here are really enjoying the book!

-Pav, who got a non-comic buying friend to buy the first five issues today...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Hopefully the book succeeds in reaching people and sustaining a devoted readership. I have to imagine we'd end up seeing Hummingbird sooner rather than later. And PAD is one of Marvel's best writers in terms of utilizing continuity, so I have to imagine he'll use the seeds that Yost planted exceptionally well.

I'm glad so many people posting here are really enjoying the book!

-Pav, who got a non-comic buying friend to buy the first five issues today...
    That would be awesome. I've always been wanting to see that storyline about her being a vessel for an Aztec God followed up on.

Loving this book and their fight was epic. I felt legitimately torn about who I wanted to win, especially since we're seeing more evidence that Ben wants to do good. However, I can totally understand why Kaine is furious after Clone Conspiracy. I can't wait for each new issue, this may be the series I'm most excited about.