I was thinking recently of the core concept of Batman, and who is most important to the overall plot dynamic. I came up with the following list, in order:

1 Commissioner Gordon
2 The Joker
3 Robin
4 Alfred

1 In my opinion Gordon is what separates Batman from a strict vigilante - Gordon and he collaborate, and that really is a core aspect of Batman. Gordon's semi-corrupt relationship with Bats really sets the tone for Batman stories.

2 The Joker is the best-known villain in comics, and represents everything Batman isn't - fun, murderous, etc. Without the Joker we wouldn't have the same Batman, at all.

3 Every other Robin is a stand-in for the kid Dick used to be, so I almost said Dick Grayson here. But considering the fact that he's turned into an underutilized adult figure, at least in regards to Batman, I guess Robin is a more accurate character description. The kid sidekick, the dialogue generator, etc, Robin has a big role in the stories he is in.

4 Alfred isn't exactly necessary to the Batman universe - he's there, like Robin, largely so Batman can talk to him. But that said, in importance he dwarfs pretty much every character besides those three ^

Other things are obviously important to Batman, like Joe Chill killing his parents, the Batcave, so on. But I think these are the most important auxiliary characters. The poll is for the top spot, and if you think someone other than those 4 warrants it, vote 'other' and tell the world why.