Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Rumor: Titans and Teen Titans merging into a single book

Take it however you want, thought it was interesting enough to talk about.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...ns-merge-2018/

Good move? Bad move?

BANNED

Already under discussion over in the general TT thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Already under discussion over in the general TT thread.
    Okay, but it affects the regular Titans too. Some are reading that and not TT. But if the discussion is that involved I suppose the mods can [get rid of this one.

Two terrible books become one horrible book.

BANNED

Yeah neither book is enjoyable for me, making the team bigger would only make things worse imo. I'll still give it another try though.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I like Teen Titans just fine but Titans is dull as dirt IMHO. That book seriously needs a complete overhaul and an actual direction. I think a merger is a stupid idea myself. I get that they are likely wanting to get the fans of both books to buy this single, twice monthly book featuring members of both teams but I don't believe it's going to work out as they hope it will. If they do merge I hope that they keep Abnett and Booth away from the new book.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I think we were probably always going to see a consolidation of the two books at some point, particularly with Teen Titans not selling as well as it could be (as I recall), and the timing with the TV show gives them an opportunity and a motivation to combine both books and put Dick Grayson on a team with Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy.

I think it was smart to distinguish Titans and Teen Titans, even if the former has had some writing/character issues and the latter is still finding it's footing (Lazarus Contract did not help at all) but I can understand the desire to combine the two into a single Titans book.

I'm just curious about what the creative team would be and who all will be in it aside from the aforementioned members. Who do they keep and who gets left in limbo?

Saw this in the TT thread but never posted my thoughts... I only read Titans. The only Teen Titans member I care about is Raven and maybe Beast Boy. Definitely wouldn't like it since they'd probably drop some of the older Titans like Garth and Lilith who I actually like seeing what little we get every month. My favorite Titan is Dick, who I'm not worried about since he is gonna be on that live-action show and has a solo book of his own that I can read.

I think if Dick and Wally were given space elsewhere (Wally with his solo and Dick already has his) the rest of the characters would have more breathing room and it could work. But otherwise it would be way overstuffed. A change in creative direction is needed, especially in Titans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I like Teen Titans just fine but Titans is dull as dirt IMHO. That book seriously needs a complete overhaul and an actual direction.
    How much of the lack of direction/purpose in Titans is Abnett's fault? At least some of it for sure, but from the outside looking in, it appears he was given a book with a definite premise that he's not allowed to really do anything with. I can't believe he had the whole Titans trying to get to the bottom of the altered history premise lying in front of him and chose to do next to nothing with it if he had a choice.

My biggest concern for the merger is the roster. Most notably what would it mean for older Wally? I assume Kid Flash would be the Titans resident speedster, and if that happens, there really isn't anywhere older Wally could go unless they change course about the Flash brand being able to sustain two solo books.

The older Titans playing babysitter for the younger ones is just an awful idea. It was an awful idea when they tried it before and it will be one again. Each team should be their own entity, but obviously characters like Beast Boy should be aged up and join their 80s teammates already. Damian should have his own team with actual teens in it and they should be the responsibility of their JL counterparts instead of being pawned off on a bunch of young 20 somethings.

Still, both books are selling well enough where I don't think they will merge them any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The older Titans playing babysitter for the younger ones is just an awful idea. It was an awful idea when they tried it before and it will be one again. Each team should be their own entity, but obviously characters like Beast Boy should be aged up and join their 80s teammates already. Damian should have his own team with actual teens in it and they should be the responsibility of their JL counterparts instead of being pawned off on a bunch of young 20 somethings.

Still, both books are selling well enough where I don't think they will merge them any time soon.
    Yeah the babysitter aspect could be a recipe for disaster.

I... don't know if I like the sound of this.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Incredible Member

I could see them putting the NTT team back together because (1) DC has no idea what to do with the franchise and will always default back to that, (2) Titans show is coming out, (3) non comic readers only know the cartoons and soon to be live action show (which has the cartoon characters), (4) there's a YJ show coming out so who knows if they'll use that instead of the TT title

And Wally can support his own ongoing and Damian has Super sons, so there is the last of the characters in either book that people care about

Astonishing Member

I don't read either book anymore because Titans was kinda boring and Damian as leader of the TT was just bad. Hopefully this merger can work out but I'm cautious that it's gonna be overstuffed and so convoluted.