The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Superman more or less effective if his power set were replaced with Doomsday?

Imagine if Clark/Kal-El woke up one morning and found that while emotionally and mentally, he was his familiar self, his power set had been replaced by Doomsday's. In terms of durability/strength, the difference wouldn't be significant, and might even be slightly better, but he would have lost super senses, heat vision, X-Ray vision, sustained flight, etc. On the other hand, he now has crazy regenerative abilities and probably can't be killed permanently. Would this Superman with Doomsday's powers be more or less effective in his superheroic work than he would with his more familiar power set?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Less effective. There are diminishing returns to becoming faster, stronger, and more durable, things he already has in spades, while losing a lot of versatility. In some situations he's better off, but on average there's even less he could do than before.

Also, Superman would be even less interesting. The joke now is that he's a flying brick, and here he loses the flying part.

As an aside, it reminds me of this silly Transformers commercial. Not worth it:

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

I doubt it. Doomsday is a tank. That's it, nothing more except for maybe strength. Superman's original power set already grants him incredible durability plus heat vision plus flight. The latter two are probably some of his most used abilities when it comes to heroics. How would Superman ever save cats from trees if he couldn't fly!?!
    My name is Hunter Zolomon. Despite what the public believes, I am the fastest man alive

BANNED

This would only be a good thing if he was fighting insanely powerful combatants,but totally suck actually beijg a hero

Massively less effective, really hard to even play "devils advocate" and try to produce some argument to come to another conclusion.

And decades ago..so legends have it, Superman used to have two other powers in addition to ones BA listed in first posting: super intelligence and super-speed. Now add those, and he really would be useful.

Well, if part of the discussion is that he loses some of his weaknesses, then this is a slightly different discussion, though I'd say I'd rather take the liabilities of Kryptonite and red sunlight than lose flight, super senses, heat vision, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Massively less effective, really hard to even play "devils advocate" and try to produce some argument to come to another conclusion.

And decades ago..so legends have it, Superman used to have two other powers in addition to ones BA listed in first posting: super intelligence and super-speed. Now add those, and he really would be useful.
    Um he still has those powers now. I'm pretty sure I've seen superspeed and super intelligence more than once over the past few years. So that's not true.

Incredible Member

- Superman is tougher and stronger, and just as fast.
    - No more flying. Then again, with all that tech the league has, I don't think it would be too hard to design a anti-grav device. Still, unless it can accelerate as fast as Superman, he will fly way slowly.
    - Superman loses his two ranged attacks.
    - Superman is now pretty much pretty much imortal and impossible to kill.
    - Superman can also adapt to anything, so the same trick on him would't work. No more kryptonite and red sun woes.

When Supes got his energy powers, one of the biggest problems he had was the fact he lost his super-senses. That meant he had to patrol and the like, and a lot of crime he would have once spotted, happened because he simply couldn't perceive it anymore.

Incredible Member

Remember Doomsboy?

Less effective..

Fantastic Member

WAY less effective. Taking away his flight, speed, and his ranged attacks would not be compensated by whatever gains he makes in strength and durability. He would basically be a one-note character.

Side note: Doomsboy. My God, that's horrible!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Remember Doomsboy?

Yes,and he was great,cause he had the thirst to kill,but actually had a brain.