Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Miller/ Sienkiewicz Wonder Woman?

My apologies of this has already been posted.

Just wondering what everyone's views are regarding this concept of a Frank Miller/ Bill Sienkiewicz Wonder Woman comic.

http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-fran...ewicz-bondage/

I'm excited for the recently announced Frank Miller/ John Romita Jr Superman Year One book. I also wouldn't mind seeing a Frank Miller/ Bill Sienkiewicz Wonder Woman Year One book ... but that's me ... what are your thoughts?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

While I certainly agree with Sienkiewicz that Wonder Woman has seldom, if ever, been as interesting as the original provocative stories by Marston...Frank Miller is one of the last writers I'd want to see on that project. At least Miller from that time frame- maybe TDKR/Year One era Frank would have produced something great. Now? Not without Azzarello or somebody working with him.

Kinda sorta speaking of Miller and Wonder Woman, it's a shame that the original post-Crisis plans he and Steve Gerber were cooking up for the Trinity never made it past the proposal stages. Miller would have written Batman, they both would have written Superman, and Gerber would have been in charge of Wonder Woman. Diana makes a couple brief, but very well done IMO, appearances in Gerber's Phantom Zone mini series, where she is outclassed by Kryptonians but is still able to defeat Nam-Ek with her superior combat training and the lasso. Plus her compassion is on display. I can't help thinking Diana and Clark would have been better off in the long run if Gerber and Miller (in his prime) had been allowed to work on them instead of Perez and Byrne.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Miller is not a creator I want any where near Wonder Woman. I'm sure he can dial back his misogynistic tendencies to do a good story, but I just dont see him doing it. I'm not even holding out hope that his Superman Year One story will be readable. He hasn't done readable since probably his Daredevil/Elektra days or Batman Year One days.
    Sienkiewicz could draw a KILLER Wonder Woman story though given the proper writer. That could be amazing, but Miller is most definitely not that writer.

I have no doubt that Frank Miller could write a compelling WW comic that would outsell almost every other run, since the Marston days. I just don't think it would be a comic that most of us would want to read.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Miller is not a creator I want any where near Wonder Woman. I'm sure he can dial back his misogynistic tendencies to do a good story, but I just dont see him doing it. I'm not even holding out hope that his Superman Year One story will be readable. He hasn't done readable since probably his Daredevil/Elektra days or Batman Year One days.
    Sienkiewicz could draw a KILLER Wonder Woman story though given the proper writer. That could be amazing, but Miller is most definitely not that writer.
    Basically, this.^^^ I simply don't trust Miller. That's not to say Miller hasn't done anything good, I quite like some of his work. But, as a comic reader, Miller isn't a name I can trust to be, at least, pretty good. Would we get his Dark Knight WW or his All-Star Batman WW? Few, if any, creators are a good fit for every character. What worked for Daredevil may be a very bad fit for WW.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I can't help thinking Diana and Clark would have been better off in the long run if Gerber and Miller (in his prime) had been allowed to work on them instead of Perez and Byrne.
    Better than Perez? That's hard for me to imagine.
    Last edited by Awonder; 07-29-2017 at 01:23 PM.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

About the only writer I can think of that would be worse for Wonder Woman than Frank Miller is Alan Moore. Fortunately, DC is still safe for the moment.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

BANNED

i would like to see it attempted. maybe it'd work for some, not for others, but let's see him try.

Mighty Member

I'm sure it would be a horrible. His style goes against nearly everything about those Marston comics and he hasn't even written a decent batman story since Year One so I don't see how he'd make a readable wonder woman or superman comic let alone Marston. If anyone writes a Wonder Woman Year One it should be someone who is familiar with her and has shown that they can write a good book for her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BFF View Post
    i would like to see it attempted. maybe it'd work for some, not for others, but let's see him try.
    Might have worked back when they wanted to do it, back when Miller was still a good writer.

It'd just be unintentional comedy if he did it now.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Better than Perez? That's hard for me to imagine.
    Well, definitely not the Miller half of the equation. Though it sounds like he only would have been working with Gerber on Superman.

I like Perez a lot, but it created several of its own problems and didn't age well in some areas. I haven't read much of Gerber outside of that Phantom Zone mini, but I liked what I saw, and maybe his take on Diana's mythos wouldn't have been as convoluted. I know Gerber and Miller before he was crazy (or, better yet, Alan Moore) would have been a helluva lot better than Byrne on Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    While I certainly agree with Sienkiewicz that Wonder Woman has seldom, if ever, been as interesting as the original provocative stories by Marston...Frank Miller is one of the last writers I'd want to see on that project. At least Miller from that time frame- maybe TDKR/Year One era Frank would have produced something great. Now? Not without Azzarello or somebody working with him.
    That could be interesting. Azzarello did a great run on N52 Wonder Woman and he and Frank seemed to work well together on DK3

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous
    Kinda sorta speaking of Miller and Wonder Woman, it's a shame that the original post-Crisis plans he and Steve Gerber were cooking up for the Trinity never made it past the proposal stages. Miller would have written Batman, they both would have written Superman, and Gerber would have been in charge of Wonder Woman. Diana makes a couple brief, but very well done IMO, appearances in Gerber's Phantom Zone mini series, where she is outclassed by Kryptonians but is still able to defeat Nam-Ek with her superior combat training and the lasso. Plus her compassion is on display. I can't help thinking Diana and Clark would have been better off in the long run if Gerber and Miller (in his prime) had been allowed to work on them instead of Perez and Byrne.
    Yes. That is a shame

Quote Originally Posted by BFF View Post
    Same here. Anything with Frank involved stirs up division among the fan community. That's not necessarily a bad thing tho. At least it gets us thinking and talking. Even if some people don't like his portrayal, style, etc it would be good to have it on the shelves so every fan/ consumer can decide for themselves if it's worth reading.

There is a lot I want to say about that image and Sienkiewicz's comment that is very likely to get me banned. Instead, I'll just simply say, no, I have no interest in a Wonder Woman comic by him and Miller.
    Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Same here. Anything with Frank involved stirs up division among the fan community. That's not necessarily a bad thing tho. At least it gets us thinking and talking. Even if some people don't like his portrayal, style, etc it would be good to have it on the shelves so every fan/ consumer can decide for themselves if it's worth reading.
    Merely getting people to talk about your work is not a good thing. Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey were talked about and most of that talk was not favourable.

Contrary to what some people think, there is such a thing as bad publicity

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Merely getting people to talk about your work is not a good thing. Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey were talked about and most of that talk was not favourable.

Contrary to what some people think, there is such a thing as bad publicity
    Considering the boatloads of money those franchises bring in despite the negative reviews.Not really sure that helps your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Considering the boatloads of money those franchises bring in despite the negative reviews.Not really sure that helps your point.
    The 50 Shades sequel made less money than the first film. The tv series Stephanie Meyer is producing is downplaying her involvement with the Twilight franchise because of the bad publicity