Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Do you see DC bringing back Bart and Kon or sticking with NuWally and Jon?

Kon and Bart are two well established but badly written characters that suffered(probably the most)from the new 52,and with both new Kid flash and Superboy do you put them to rest and let the new Gen take over or do you bring them back?

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Kon and Bart are two well established but badly written characters that suffered(probably the most)from the new 52,and with both new Kid flash and Superboy do you put them to rest and let the new Gen take over or do you bring them back?
    Personal bias...move on.

BANNED

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: F**K YES! Kon and Bart, as written before Johns got his hands on them, are two of DC's greatest characters.

Even Longer Answer: Kon and Bart, along with Tim and Cassie, have been forced to suffer through bad writers for a long time, but they're still terrific characters who shouldn't be pushed aside. I don't outright hate either Jon or NuWally, and have no desire to seem them killed or anything, but they shouldn't stand in the way of DC bringing back Bart and Kon.

ADDENDUM: At this point in time, the idea of "The next generation taking over" is ridiculous. It's somehow okay for the first three generations and the newest generation to all hang around, but NOT the 90's generation? That makes no sense, and that logic is completely driven by personal bias.
    Last edited by Assam; 07-29-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Bart definitely! He was a great addition to the Flash family in the 90s. Personally, I even enjoyed his short lived Flash title as well. I have no opinion on Kon as I have never been much of a superman, boy, whatever reader.

I completely agree with the comments above as well, the 90s generation heroes should not be getting the shaft. They have a role in the DC universe and they deserve to be a part of it.

Fantastic Member

Only if they bring back the original characterizations of these characters, not Geoff Johns's Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, I don't see why all four of them couldn't coexist with each other. Kon and Bart are so radically different from Jon and NuWally that it'd be kind of ridiculous to think that they'd compete with one another. If you're worried about balancing screen time, then just relaunch Young Justice with the former in lead roles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: F**K YES! Kon and Bart, as written before Johns got his hands on them, are two of DC's greatest characters.

Even Longer Answer: Kon and Bart, along with Tim and Cassie, have been forced to suffer through bad writers for a long time, but they're still terrific characters who shouldn't be pushed aside. I don't outright hate either Jon or NuWally, and have no desire to seem them killed or anything, but they shouldn't stand in the way of DC bringing back Bart and Kon.

ADDENDUM: At this point in time, the idea of "The next generation taking over" is ridiculous. It's somehow okay for the first three generations and the newest generation to all hang around, but NOT the 90's generation? That makes no sense, and that logic is completely driven by personal bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    Only if they bring back the original characterizations of these characters, not Geoff Johns's Teen Titans.
    I'll definitely third this. Bart actually being Bart and Kon actually having his established character ("Superboy with attitude' is not what the character was all about at all). And none of the origin mess (especially that Luthor mess). Keep it simple, clean, and logical.

But not just characterization but the powers as well: The real tactile telekinesis, Kon's signature power, front and center with everything he displayed and not what YJ or TT did with his powers. Bart's abilities that he displayed as Impulse and not Bar-Torr or Flash-lite.

Just actually looking at the characters and their respective universes that they established (they did have long running comic books) and making something that actually resembles the characters in a modern take. Like making a brand new car that's a continuation of the classic car but no six spoilers, neon covering everything, or extras that are not needed.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 07-30-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Actually yes, yes I do predict that DC will eventually bring back Bart Allen and Kon El , if the new Young Justice revival is a success, I think we will see a Young Justice comic come to fruition, and if the rumors are true that DC is combining Titans and Teen Titans, then the chance of a Young Justice book is twice as likely.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

I think it's just a matter of time. I think (hope) that Bart and Connor are in Oz's prison with Tim.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    No, not a knock at all.

Many of my own favourite series feature C/D/E level characters where the writers and artists have specific tales in mind, and relative freedom to use the characters as they see fit.

Obvious examples: Hitman and the Jack Knight Starman. Both leads in wonderful series...and both characters where I treasure idea that original writers (Garth Ennis and James Robinson) may sometime add brief extra tales, but where I'd "fear" what might happen if other writers were let loose on the characters.
    And I think those characters are better for it. I've said it before, but a part of me wishes Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? had been it for the Super verse. It's been mostly down hill ever since, and honestly, stories need to have endings.

The problem is fans also don't want to let go of these characters, and I completely understand why to an extent. But practically, demanding that every single character have a story be told about them at all times so that everybody is happy just doesn't seem realistic. Granted, DC also doesn't help matters by choosing to write characters out in the worst way possible, either by killing them off in a cheap way, assassinating their characters or retconning them out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Kon,god damn there is $ to be made with him.take Grant Morrisons action comics #1 Superman,or agent dick in Grayson,those 2 ideas are exactly where Kon should and could go easily.make one or a mix of both happen and money will rain down on you DC.
    While I don't think either of those two ideas specifically would interest me with Kon, I agree that that sort of "outside of the box" thinking is a great way to revitalize characters who can't really fit in their traditional roles for the time being. The only time I really sort of cared about Kyle Rayner was when he was placed with the Omega Men. Something similar wit Kon and his generation could be good, as they can't occupy the kid sidekick niche totally anymore seeing as how there is a new generation coming up behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I genuinely can't believe there isn't a single talented writer either working for DC or another company who wouldn't want to write a new YJ book. These are NOT obscure characters.
    I can, the odds must be pretty good that at some point and time, the company is going to have a stable of writers where none of them are interested in writing about the characters you like. That doesn't mean it will always be the case however, there are bound to be some talented aspiring writers out there who will hopefully bring some fresh ideas to neglected favorites or come up with some new ones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And I think those characters are better for it. I've said it before, but a part of me wishes Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? had been it for the Super verse. It's been mostly down hill ever since, and honestly, stories need to have endings.

The problem is fans also don't want to let go of these characters, and I completely understand why to an extent. But practically, demanding that every single character have a story be told about them at all times so that everybody is happy just doesn't seem realistic. Granted, DC also doesn't help matters by choosing to write characters out in the worst way possible, either by killing them off in a cheap way, assassinating their characters or retconning them out of existence.
    I actually agree that these characters' stories should have endings. Jack Knight? Perfect ending, and outside of cameo appearances, I wouldn't want to see him again. Greta Hayes? Her story was told and done, and I'd only ever want her back as a civilian supporting character.

Problem is, you can pretty much count the number of DC characters who have gotten good endings that stuck on your hands. The vast majority of these characters have not gotten proper endings, and even those that have have mostly had them undone. And as you said, DC often finds the worst possible way to write out characters.

Jack Knight and Max Mercury are among my favorite super heroes. Would I want to see Jack again? As I already said, no. His story is done. Would I want to see Max again? Yes, because his story wasn't over.