Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If they exist and nothing really interesting is being done with them, is it always worth it? Look at Wally.
    Honestly? Yes, I do think so. Ignoring the fact that Abnett really does think he's doing interesting stuff with Wally, and sometimes it's just a matter of weak writing as opposed to not having any interesting ideas, if a character is around, things can get better. I'm sure there are plenty of writers out there who love characters like these who'd love a crack at them. And even if they aren't the best, so long as nothing offensively or irreparably bad is done, things can improve for the characters.

let another era have it's time. Maybe they will come back and maybe they won't.
    As I already said on this thread, this argument is invalid. Because once the JSA comes back, every other era will be active.

You still have the stories of theirs that you enjoy, those can never cease existing.
    And I'm very happy that that's the case. I've said quite a few times now that without my headcanon that everyone from Pre-FP was still living happily on New Earth, I wouldn't be able to read modern DC comics without vomiting. I have those stories of the past, and I firmly hold close that these characters I love are happy on an Earth we're no longer baring witness to.

But much like tons of others would still want more Batman and Superman stories even with that idea in mind, I still want more stories with the characters I, and plenty of others, care about.

Extraordinary Member

Jon seems a quite successful character, I'm pretty sure he will stick around, but I also don't think that this would cause a big problem for Kon, since he was afaik anyway quite independent from Superman, the only big problem would be the loss of the Superboy mantle.

But I'm not sure if Kon could still carry a solo even with the Superboy name.

The real issue at DC is not a shortage of interesting characters...not remotely.

The real limiting factor is the number of skilled committed writers with fresh stories to tell, and artists able to tell that story with both freshness and originality.

There are maybe a dozen irreplaceable DC characters...the likes of Batman and Superman...and maybe another dozen just below that level. Below that second tier? Literally hundreds of characters at a "interesting level"...certainly interesting enough to use IF a writer has a really specific use in mind.

But keeping all those interesting characters in play all the time? Simply not enough writing and art talent to do it at necessary level of quality. And..being realistic...not enough fans willing to buy comics in commercially viable numbers.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    The real issue at DC is not a shortage of interesting characters...not remotely.

The real limiting factor is the number of skilled committed writers with fresh stories to tell, and artists able to tell that story with both freshness and originality.

There are maybe a dozen irreplaceable DC characters...the likes of Batman and Superman...and maybe another dozen just below that level. Below that second tier? Literally hundreds of characters at a "interesting level"...certainly interesting enough to use IF a writer has a really specific use in mind.

But keeping all those interesting characters in play all the time? Simply not enough writing and art talent to do it at necessary level of quality. And..being realistic...not enough fans willing to buy comics in commercially viable numbers.
    Agreed. Its not an inherent knock on the characters, it's just not practical.

I don't know their mindset with Bart and NuWally. But looking at what's going on with Conner being erased from Superman's history, apparently DC doesn't want him and Jon co-existing on that end. So maybe they won't won't NuWally and Bart co-existing either. Now, I'm of the strong opinion that's a dumb mindset, to me they all can easily co-exist, as their respective families are hardly over-populated. And, in Conner's case, there's a significant age difference between him and Jon which would help immensely with them countering each other as superfluous. But the evidence thus far is starting to show that DC's thinking is in a different direction. I don't agree with it, but it just may be the case that Tim is going to be the lone holdover of his era. What makes Tim different? From a theoretical point of view, absolutely nothing, but from a practical point of view he's part of Batman's family. That automatically gains you at least some points on the effort scale over other mythoi today.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-29-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Agreed. Its not an inherent knock on the characters, it's just not practical.
    No, not a knock at all.

Many of my own favourite series feature C/D/E level characters where the writers and artists have specific tales in mind, and relative freedom to use the characters as they see fit.

Obvious examples: Hitman and the Jack Knight Starman. Both leads in wonderful series...and both characters where I treasure idea that original writers (Garth Ennis and James Robinson) may sometime add brief extra tales, but where I'd "fear" what might happen if other writers were let loose on the characters.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Where exactly is there a Kid Flash currently besides NuWally?

Besides, Bart was best as Impulse and that's how he should come back.
    Both Wally Wests are essentially Kid Flashes. They are not THE FLASH, they are teenage/young adult sidekicks. I loved Bart Allen, but he would just be the same.

Plus, a big draw of IMPULSE was the fact that Barry Allen was this fallen hero from the olden days. Barry is not that anymore.

There's simply not enough space for all these characters that, ultimately, are incredibly similar. Just work with the existing Wally Wests, make them unique.

Kon-El would work because there's nothing like him currently. Jon is Superman's son and a small child, and Superman has been regulated to his role of mentoring Jon now. Plenty of room for a younger, brash Superman character.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-29-2017 at 10:46 AM.

My opinion is this...if we get a new Young Justice book in Rebirth, I don't expect to see Wally II or Jon in there.

BANNED

1st Kon and Bart are not C or D list characters like many those on here have as favorites,they are commercial(atleast comic series wise) successes ,way more than the characters some on here think are in the same level when they are not even close.

2 Bart Allen is from the future,and he has 3 things going for him that make him (powerwise) special,make time supes,immune to time shennanigans,and he remembers everything.plus he is special,cause of his living in VR,so it made him a lil spasic,which in turn is awesome fun.

Now what that means for Bart is,is that he is the ultimate time master,if DC wanted him to be.just think if he was around before the 1st Crisis.

Tim is loose in a out of time fortress,that can see into reality and has the ability to move things in and out at any time.

Kon,god damn there is $ to be made with him.take Grant Morrisons action comics #1 Superman,or agent dick in Grayson,those 2 ideas are exactly where Kon should and could go easily.make one or a mix of both happen and money will rain down on you DC.

I don't need another team in the same way we have the others,give YJ a mission,make it something where they are not doing the same **** the other teams are doing,and use what is set up to make it happen.

BANNED

You know, another argument I'll never get is "redundancy". Having characters with the same powers does not make them redundant. If It did, the DCU would be a much smaller place. Personality and Backstory are what matter. Personality and backstory wise, Bart is completely different from NuWally. He is different from Wally. He is different from virtually every other character out there.Same thing with Kon. Completely Different from Jon. Completely different from Kara and Clark. And all he really has in common with Kenan is his ego.

So yeah, the idea of "redundancy" is ridiculous, and the idea of them not having the resources would be fair, if this wasn't the generation which could lead a most likely very profitable Young Justice book. (I genuinely can't believe there isn't a single talented writer either working for DC or another company who wouldn't want to write a new YJ book. These are NOT obscure characters.)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Kon and Bart are two well established but badly written characters that suffered(probably the most)from the new 52,and with both new Kid flash and Superboy do you put them to rest and let the new Gen take over or do you bring them back?
    Actually yes, yes I do predict that DC will eventually bring back Bart Allen and Kon El , if the new Young Justice revival is a success, I think we will see a Young Justice comic come to fruition, and if the rumors are true that DC is combining Titans and Teen Titans, then the chance of a Young Justice book is twice as likely.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

I think it's just a matter of time. I think (hope) that Bart and Connor are in Oz's prison with Tim.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    No, not a knock at all.

Many of my own favourite series feature C/D/E level characters where the writers and artists have specific tales in mind, and relative freedom to use the characters as they see fit.

Obvious examples: Hitman and the Jack Knight Starman. Both leads in wonderful series...and both characters where I treasure idea that original writers (Garth Ennis and James Robinson) may sometime add brief extra tales, but where I'd "fear" what might happen if other writers were let loose on the characters.
    And I think those characters are better for it. I've said it before, but a part of me wishes Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? had been it for the Super verse. It's been mostly down hill ever since, and honestly, stories need to have endings.

The problem is fans also don't want to let go of these characters, and I completely understand why to an extent. But practically, demanding that every single character have a story be told about them at all times so that everybody is happy just doesn't seem realistic. Granted, DC also doesn't help matters by choosing to write characters out in the worst way possible, either by killing them off in a cheap way, assassinating their characters or retconning them out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Kon,god damn there is $ to be made with him.take Grant Morrisons action comics #1 Superman,or agent dick in Grayson,those 2 ideas are exactly where Kon should and could go easily.make one or a mix of both happen and money will rain down on you DC.
    While I don't think either of those two ideas specifically would interest me with Kon, I agree that that sort of "outside of the box" thinking is a great way to revitalize characters who can't really fit in their traditional roles for the time being. The only time I really sort of cared about Kyle Rayner was when he was placed with the Omega Men. Something similar wit Kon and his generation could be good, as they can't occupy the kid sidekick niche totally anymore seeing as how there is a new generation coming up behind them.

I genuinely can't believe there isn't a single talented writer either working for DC or another company who wouldn't want to write a new YJ book. These are NOT obscure characters.
    I can, the odds must be pretty good that at some point and time, the company is going to have a stable of writers where none of them are interested in writing about the characters you like. That doesn't mean it will always be the case however, there are bound to be some talented aspiring writers out there who will hopefully bring some fresh ideas to neglected favorites or come up with some new ones.

BANNED

And I think those characters are better for it. I've said it before, but a part of me wishes Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? had been it for the Super verse. It's been mostly down hill ever since, and honestly, stories need to have endings.

The problem is fans also don't want to let go of these characters, and I completely understand why to an extent. But practically, demanding that every single character have a story be told about them at all times so that everybody is happy just doesn't seem realistic. Granted, DC also doesn't help matters by choosing to write characters out in the worst way possible, either by killing them off in a cheap way, assassinating their characters or retconning them out of existence.
    I actually agree that these characters' stories should have endings. Jack Knight? Perfect ending, and outside of cameo appearances, I wouldn't want to see him again. Greta Hayes? Her story was told and done, and I'd only ever want her back as a civilian supporting character.

Problem is, you can pretty much count the number of DC characters who have gotten good endings that stuck on your hands. The vast majority of these characters have not gotten proper endings, and even those that have have mostly had them undone. And as you said, DC often finds the worst possible way to write out characters.

Jack Knight and Max Mercury are among my favorite super heroes. Would I want to see Jack again? As I already said, no. His story is done. Would I want to see Max again? Yes, because his story wasn't over.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think DC intends to put all these characters into play; I don't know *how* DC is going to do it, though.
    Hopefully they won't turn Kon-El into the Rebirth version of Superboy-Prime.

As I already said on this thread, this argument is invalid. Because once the JSA comes back, every other era will be active.
    That doesn't mean everything from every other era would be back in play, though.
    DC shows no sign they're completely undoing everything from the New 52; just adding some older stuff in to the New 52 stuff they're not getting rid of.