Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Default Spider-Man: Reign

My apologies if this has been discussed already.

So, I read this the past week, and I was wondering what others whom have read it think.

I was unable to not see direct parallels with The Dark Knight Returns. Artistic style, narrative, pacing were pretty much all the same. I probably thought it would have been a much better story were it not for the source material.

But damn...poor Petey. Best (worst, actually when you think about it) story aspect was Peter actually killed MJ through contact...very sad. Redeeming quality to the story.

Just my opinion. Definitely worth a read, but dark is better for Bats, not Spidey.

BANNED

I hated this story. Aside from the oft-talked about absurdity of Peter killing Mary Jane with his radioactive semen (just...why?), the book feels very tonally inconsistent. Kaare Andrews tries to make Spider-Man's dialogue quippy and fun, but you see him straight up kill his enemies in the story while making light of it. I know Peter is damaged and even a little broken at this stage of his life, but this just isn't Spider-Man to me. Reign attempts to mix and balance an abundance of grimness and silliness into one story, but really just ends up coming off as thematically confused and highly uneven in my opinion.

I thought MJs death was a very valid reason that could devastate Pete, and the cause made sense to me.

But yes, this was overly dark for a Spider-Man story, and he took out most of the Sinister Six with ridiculous ease.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I thought MJs death was a very valid reason that could devastate Pete, and the cause made sense to me.

But yes, this was overly dark for a Spider-Man story, and he took out most of the Sinister Six with ridiculous ease.
    I don't mind dark Spider-Man stories (The Night Gwen Stacy Died and Kraven's Last Hunt are some of the best tales in the character's history), but I don't think Reign did it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    I don't mind dark Spider-Man stories (The Night Gwen Stacy Died and Kraven's Last Hunt are some of the best tales in the character's history), but I don't think Reign did it well.
    I didn't really, either. Were it not for the cause of MJ's death, I probably would have thought this garbage. Like I said, it was trying too hard, and I'm sure deliberately, to be like DKR.

I hated the characterization of Peter Parker. I understood some aspects of it and what the author was going for. But I still hated it. I can't help that sometimes. It's just how I felt.

To be fair though. I'll always have a soft spot for these two pages.

IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg

But I'll always love them...out of context of the rest of the story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I didn't really, either. Were it not for the cause of MJ's death, I probably would have thought this garbage. Like I said, it was trying too hard, and I'm sure deliberately, to be like DKR.
    I think it's commonly accepted that Reign (for better or worse depending on who you ask) was a response to The Dark Knight Returns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DCordo74 View Post
    I hated the characterization of Peter Parker. I understood some aspects of it and what the author was going for. But I still hated it. I can't help that sometimes. It's just how I felt.

To be fair though. I'll always have a soft spot for these two pages.

IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg

But I'll always love them...out of context of the rest of the story.
    That was definitely a sweet and tender moment in a sea of awkward and ridiculous ones.

Incredible Member

I got my trade of Spiderman Reign signed at a fan expo last year by Kaare Andrews. Good times. Its been awhile since I read it so the plot points are abit hazy to me. I do remember liking Jameson in it. Wasn't he asking Peter to mask up again? I like that role reversal.

MJ dying from Peter being radioactive I felt was derivative of the Hulk run where the same thing happened with Betty.

I didn't make the DKR connection, likely as I read this before, but seeing a ccritique on a Spiderman story list article and the comparison, it seems pretty fair to say it was an influence.

I recall enjoying it as a take on Peters return to heroism after being broken by Mary Janes death and it could be said to be more likenable to Robin Williams arc in Good Will Hunting in that regard.

As much as regular Spider-Man stories should generally balance a tone between dramatic and lighthearted, his origins steeped in tragedy and if you were to take this as a second origin for Peter returning to service, it's fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    I think it's commonly accepted that Reign (for better or worse depending on who you ask) was a response to The Dark Knight Returns.
    It had a similar concept to Dark Knight Returns, and had a few homages to it, including the use of television talking heads.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It had a similar concept to Dark Knight Returns, and had a few homages to it, including the use of television talking heads.
    Those aspects always felt kind of forced to me in Reign.

Fantastic Member

I have a love/hate relationship with this, but ultimately it's famous enough to be required reading for every Spider Fan.

It's not as good as TDKR, but is an affectionate tribute and offers a tragic look at how Peter's life may turn out

BANNED

I like it, one of the parts that worked for me was JJJ being the one trying to get him to put the suit back on

I was also happy to get Kaare to sign my hardcover

It was a curious little story. Kaare Andrews artwork is fantastic, but ultimately I found it too bleak and depressing for my tastes (although I suppose that was sort of the point).

I thought that the Earth X: Spidey one shot did a much better job with a similar concept.

Extraordinary Member

It's one of my all time favourite Spider-man stories.

The bleakness and tragedy of the earlier parts made Peter's return that much more triumphant, I especially enjoyed his confrontation with Kraven.

I really liked the focus on the Peter/MJ relationship, and although silly I don't have any issue with how MJ died.

I also thought that the characterization of Sandman, his daughter, Jameson och Dr. Octopus were spot on.