Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Infamous Iron Man #10 SPOILERS

There is a bit of a discussion going on in the Doctor Doom appreciation thread but I created this thread to avoid putting spoilers over there.

The story resumes from last month's cataclysmic ending with "Cynthia von Doom", or someone who looks very much like her, rescues her son from attempted assassination by rogue SHIELD agents. Demonstrating powers far above any we knew of before, she's able to send the massive SHIELD helicarrier crashing to the ground

Sharon Carter and Ben are able to get to safety and she sends him off to track down Victor and his mother. So back he goes to the ruins of Castle Doom, figuring he may show up there again. Once there Ben has a couple of surprises. He encounters a young Latverian girl trying to find something worth scavenging from the ruins. Ben wants to help her but he has nothing to give her. He tells her at least they're free of Doom but she counters that by saying "I would give anything to have our Lord Doom back. He loved us. He protected us. What do we have now?" The FF have encountered Doom loyalists in the past so that should not have really shocked him that much. But it's what he find among the ruins that really surprises him.

It is kind of odd that Doom would be sentimental about those days. Meanwhile, Victor is recovering from being heavily sedated in his mother's ....I don't know what to call it. But it is located in what she calls The Tear, "a place where the Multiverse used to be, but now, nothing" Is this something that was created in the last Incursions in Secret Wars? Reed, the Molecule Man and Franklin are in the process of recreating it but this might be some other dimension I suppose...a void where nothing exists yet.

I think it's interesting that Victor talks about not just rounding up the likes of the Thinker and the Wizard but also has plans on taking on A.I.M and HYDRA. But this title has not been crossing over with Secret Empire so I doubt he'll get that far in this mission as the Infamous Iron Man. I don't expect him to appear in Secret Empire unless I'm mistaken on that.

It's not exactly clear how there meeting ends but I think Victor has tripped "Cynthia" up with that last thing about sacrificing baby frogs when the flashback from his childhood shows that a rabbit was involved in the ceremony. Victor escapes to warn Ben to get away before something happens...an attack by the Maker maybe?

I find myself liking Bendis's work on this series more than I thought I would and IMO there's still a bit more decompression than I'd like to see. 10 issues in and we still know very little about the Maker and what he has planned for Doom I've not been following his appearances elsewhere though. Was it explained what he remembers from Secret Wars, etc?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-29-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Amazing Member

I am liking this series as well. Good catch on the comment about the baby frogs - I just thought it was a strange exchange between the two. But you're right - Victor knows she's either not his mother or there is something he's not being told. From the ending, he seems actually afraid, or afraid for Ben at least. I like this characterization of Doom. I assume that Reed did something to him when he remade reality. I suppose that doesn't excuse everything he's done (which has been very bad) but I am pulling for him. Now Cynthia, on the other hand, seems little more than a murderous b*tch, which leaves several possibilities for who she might really be.

I like Bendis or I wouldn't be getting the book and while I expect decompression, I do wish things were moving faster.

And Maleev is doing a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think it's interesting that Victor talks about not just rounding up the likes of the Thinker and the Wizard but also has plans on taking on A.I.M and HYDRA. But this title has not been crossing over with Secret Empire so I doubt he'll get that far in this mission as the Infamous Iron Man. I don't expect him to appear in Secret Empire unless I'm mistaken on that.
    I don't imagine Victor would be tactically different as a good guy than as a bad guy. It's possible he's playing the "let the two sides fight it out and if needed, I'll kick ass on the exhausted winner" game. I still need to read the book though.

Realistically, Doom would throw a big monkey-wrench into the fray of Secret Empire. Also, in order to push the more relevant characters to the forefront, Doom would have to job. I don't think either of us would like that.

BANNED

Still really digging this series. Every issue has been top notch. Very excited to see where Doom is going to end up when all is said and done. And I love Bendis' handling of Ben.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoodleMaster View Post
    I am liking this series as well. Good catch on the comment about the baby frogs - I just thought it was a strange exchange between the two. But you're right - Victor knows she's either not his mother or there is something he's not being told. From the ending, he seems actually afraid, or afraid for Ben at least. I like this characterization of Doom. I assume that Reed did something to him when he remade reality. I suppose that doesn't excuse everything he's done (which has been very bad) but I am pulling for him. Now Cynthia, on the other hand, seems little more than a murderous b*tch, which leaves several possibilities for who she might really be.

I like Bendis or I wouldn't be getting the book and while I expect decompression, I do wish things were moving faster.

And Maleev is doing a great job!
    Loving his work here too. He's got a little Easter egg in the ruins of Castle Doom. The portrait of Doom on a horse is going to be the cover of the last issue. Wonder if there is a clue in that?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't imagine Victor would be tactically different as a good guy than as a bad guy. It's possible he's playing the "let the two sides fight it out and if needed, I'll kick ass on the exhausted winner" game. I still need to read the book though.

Realistically, Doom would throw a big monkey-wrench into the fray of Secret Empire. Also, in order to push the more relevant characters to the forefront, Doom would have to job. I don't think either of us would like that.
    No I certainly wouldn't. I' ve not been keeping current with Secret Empire. Have the issues but they're in my catch up pile. It just hasn't caught fire with me and I usually like Spencer's stuff. But then I've only read his Superior Foes of Spider-Man and a few other issues here and there. I think he wrote Avengers World for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Still really digging this series. Every issue has been top notch. Very excited to see where Doom is going to end up when all is said and done. And I love Bendis' handling of Ben.
    Bendis's handling of Ben is surprising me also. It ticked me off back when he put him on the New Avengers team led by Luke Cage and then had Ben either take a back seat to Luke or ride the bench. I've got to find the one page where they went on a mission which included Spider-Woman and some others yet he told Ben to sit it out because he would be in over his head or something along those lines.

This is a big improvement along with Ben's last appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy that shows him back home in NYC. Looking forward to that Marvel Two In One relaunch and who will be working on that. But I sure will miss this title when it ends.

There's one thing I forgot to mention about issue #10 because I thought this was really not explained too well. Ever since it was done in the Iron Man movies, the comics have gone along with that concept of the Iron Man armor just appearing and assembling on Stark and now Doom. Doom was rendered unconscious after his vision in the previous issue. When he's shown on the helicarrier, he's just in a black garment without the armor. Then it appears again in this issue at the end. What the heck is up with that? I wondered how would the SHIELD agents have removed the armor or did it just disappear when Doom passed out.