Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Although Cyclops and Cap have gone through a similar situation where they both did things against their will in a moment where they were not themselves by either Phoenix or Kobik the difference is what led both to this situation.

Cyclops while still believing in Xavier's dream the circumstances led him to be more extremist to ensure the survival of the mutants. No matter how people say he tried to dominate the world, this is not true. And if he had to do it all over again, he would do it to save mutants.

In the case of Cap is different Kobik changed the character in a way that this Steve is not the character we know. The real Steve would not compromise his values ​​even before the end of the world as we saw in Time Runs Out. If he could, he would undo the evil he did when he was changed.

Now regarding consequences Steve is an Avenger and Scott is a hated and feared mutant even though Cyclops has saved the world almost as often as Cap so it is obvious that the treatment that both will receive will be different.

The best proof of this is that Scott was arrested after AvX and hunted down as a terrorist by Shield. Now about Cap doubt that something similar happens although do not think citizens will forget it so easily.

In fact Cyclops himself said that the US government would never allow him to be heard on trial. All they could do was either disappear with him or bury him in a prison. The same will happen with Cap the American government can not judge him because during the testimony it would be of general knowledge that the American government and Shield are responsible for the creation of Kobik so they will let Steve go and invent some history about Hydra control him (which in a way is also true).

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    I like Scott and the Hitler comparison in the books is ludicrous, but he isn't a Boy Scout by any means. He organized a death squad. Sure it was to safeguard against threats that would cost lives down the road, but legally Scott had a lot to answer for.
    It's the Marvel Universe under normal law all heroes would have a lot to answer for and unlike the other heroes the X-Men have always been labeled terrorist by portions of the Marvel Universe so given his race was on the verge of extinction I saw more power to him at the time.

BANNED

The major difference is that Cyclops was right!

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    If that were truly a government policy, then the mutants would be on the wrong side of an extermination program. The Sentinels are just a safeguard. Nobody is eradicating mutants in America when we saw the 198 were being deliberately preserved.

The Inhumans on the other hand have really ruined their case when they released the Terrigen Mists. I was surprised the government didn't do what Hydra Cap did and put Inhumans in detention. The government just let them get away with that, after Inhumanity. What did they think? That unnaturally making more people with super powers was a normal thing, starting to almost overrun humanity? It was a frightening development world wide. I don't know why they never forced the Inhumans to destroy the mists immediatley Infinity was won.
    Well, to be a safeguard, the X-men get attacked pretty often by them; without counting the ones built by third parties.

And there is a reason of why the X-men bases become shelters most of the time.

I like Scott and the Hitler comparison in the books is ludicrous, but he isn't a Boy Scout by any means. He organized a death squad. Sure it was to safeguard against threats that would cost lives down the road, but legally Scott had a lot to answer for.
    But they killed Purifiers mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, to be a safeguard, the X-men get attacked pretty often by them; without counting the ones built by third parties.

And there is a reason of why the X-men bases become shelters most of the time.
    The Anti-mutant factions are the causes of Sentinel attacks, not America. The only difference I can see with Scott Summers vs Steve Rogers, is there isn't a similar anti-super hero faction sending giant death robots after them, unless you count Ultron. Scott has to look over his shoulder all the time in case Bastion has taken another government position and ordered an attack on mutants. Steve normally doesn't have to contend with that, except when Red Skull does the same thing as Bastion.

to be fair, those characters would have still been killing people; had Scott done nothing.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    The Anti-mutant factions are the causes of Sentinel attacks, not America. The only difference I can see with Scott Summers vs Steve Rogers, is there isn't a similar anti-super hero faction sending giant death robots after them, unless you count Ultron. Scott has to look over his shoulder all the time in case Bastion has taken another government position and ordered an attack on mutants. Steve normally doesn't have to contend with that, except when Red Skull does the same thing as Bastion.
    If I recall Operation: Zero Tolerance" was a crossover storyline that followed Henry Peter Gyrichand bastion opearating with the blessings and within the United States government using their positions to hunt down all mutants across the country. So yes it is US govt approved. As for the difference Scott is a filthy mutie while Steve is a blond , blue eyed beloved WW2 vet so. he would be put in a two hours time out and everything would be forgotten.

I hope when Scott returns this Hitler stuff would be forgotten as it should be

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Although Cyclops and Cap have gone through a similar situation where they both did things against their will in a moment where they were not themselves by either Phoenix or Kobik the difference is what led both to this situation.

Cyclops while still believing in Xavier's dream the circumstances led him to be more extremist to ensure the survival of the mutants. No matter how people say he tried to dominate the world, this is not true. And if he had to do it all over again, he would do it to save mutants.

In the case of Cap is different Kobik changed the character in a way that this Steve is not the character we know. The real Steve would not compromise his values ​​even before the end of the world as we saw in Time Runs Out. If he could, he would undo the evil he did when he was changed.

Now regarding consequences Steve is an Avenger and Scott is a hated and feared mutant even though Cyclops has saved the world almost as often as Cap so it is obvious that the treatment that both will receive will be different.

The best proof of this is that Scott was arrested after AvX and hunted down as a terrorist by Shield. Now about Cap doubt that something similar happens although do not think citizens will forget it so easily.

In fact Cyclops himself said that the US government would never allow him to be heard on trial. All they could do was either disappear with him or bury him in a prison. The same will happen with Cap the American government can not judge him because during the testimony it would be of general knowledge that the American government and Shield are responsible for the creation of Kobik so they will let Steve go and invent some history about Hydra control him (which in a way is also true).
    Does the words Civil War mean anything to you when it comes to Steve Rogers ?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

For one Cyclops did all that himself. Cap was altered not himself. Only time Scott wasn't completely himself is when he killed xavior as phoenix. In a way cap can't be blamed for his a tions sort off. Cyke can be blamed for 99% of his actions
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Does the words Civil War mean anything to you when it comes to Steve Rogers ?
    If you are talking about the first Civil War is different from the current situation or with what happened in AvX and SE.

In the first civil war what was at stake was civil rights and when Steve was arrested everything was already being prepared for his judgment to end in his withdrawal from the post of Captain America since they could not arrest Steve without beginning a schism in public opinion.Stark and Cap were themselves and were not being manipulated.

In addition Steve had given up fighting while Cyclops on the other hand decided to keep fighting and flee from prison.

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    For one Cyclops did all that himself. Cap was altered not himself. Only time Scott wasn't completely himself is when he killed xavior as phoenix. In a way cap can't be blamed for his a tions sort off. Cyke can be blamed for 99% of his actions
    Except it was the Avengers who created the Phoenix 5 and continued attacking without provocation the X-mens until they lost control .
    Last edited by Knives; 08-02-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    If you are talking about the first Civil War is different from the current situation or with what happened in AvX and SE.

In the first civil war what was at stake was civil rights and when Steve was arrested everything was already being prepared for his judgment to end in his withdrawal from the post of Captain America since they could not arrest Steve without beginning a schism in public opinion.Stark and Cap were themselves and were not being manipulated.

In addition Steve had given up fighting while Cyclops on the other hand decided to keep fighting and flee from prison.

Except it was the Avengers who created the Phoenix 5 and continued attacking without provocation the X-mens until they lost control .
    Not to relive the same AvX arguments over and over again, but the Avengers needed to stop Phoenix from taking Hope before she was ready. And thru needed to drive the Phoenix out of the P5 and into Hope. What happened is what needed to happen, hence the X-men themselves ultimately helping the Avengers.

It was ugly, but sometimes you gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

I so think Scott gets a pass for what he did while he was possessed by the Phoenix. Problem being he did things before and after which just kept on pissing everyone off (X-men in particular as everyone they seemed close to reconciling Scott does something else to get on their bad side).

But that's probably intentional. I think somewhere along the line marvel discovered Scott was just cooler when everyone hated him. I'm skeptical any one will think the same applies to Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Not to relive the same AvX arguments over and over again, but the Avengers needed to stop Phoenix from taking Hope before she was ready. And thru needed to drive the Phoenix out of the P5 and into Hope. What happened is what needed to happen, hence the X-men themselves ultimately helping the Avengers.

It was ugly, but sometimes you gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

I so think Scott gets a pass for what he did while he was possessed by the Phoenix. Problem being he did things before and after which just kept on pissing everyone off (X-men in particular as everyone they seemed close to reconciling Scott does something else to get on their bad side).

But that's probably intentional. I think somewhere along the line marvel discovered Scott was just cooler when everyone hated him. I'm skeptical any one will think the same applies to Steve.
    Well what you said is true but then we fall into the dilemma that is the readers who decide who is right or wrong. If broken eggs are characters trying to save mutant lives, you can not expect everyone to accept that the Avengers or Inhumans were on the right side quite the opposite. Look at what happened in Iraq for example some argue for the US response was right and others believe that the US has declared war for nothing or a lie.

In the end, both sides are always guilty because they have failed to find a pacific solution but every story needs heroes or villains .

See Steve and Hydra at this time many citizens are on their side despite what happened in Vegas.I recommend readers read Champions that came out today is a good read and reflects well on that.

Moreover when it comes to the X-mens there will always be two lines of thinking one pacifist and one more extreme. It started with Xavier and Magneto, then came Scott and Logan and now Kitty and Emma.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Cyclops was right, Cap is wrong.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That was the path Cyclops would have taken until the people supposedly granting him due process decided to set him up to be murdered in lockup instead, and he saw another prisoner killed in front of him by some mutant-hating guards. Those two things showed him that "due process" was B.S. when it came to mutants, and even worse, there were more extrajudicial killings of mutants happening throughout the country, so Cyclops was convinced he had no other choice but to break out, not for his own survival, but for the survival of a newly resurgent mutantkind.
    I thought he escaped because Sinister came to taunt him while using the body of the PR woman who helped the X-men during their stay in Utopia? I mean she is the one who sent out an email saying that the Avengers were out to get them and we never see her again until that issue. In fact that made more sense then him getting angry about a guy he knew only for a few days as opposed to this woman who helped his people.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Look, I'm just waiting for Teen Steve to show up and become the only Cap that matters.
    Blasphemy i say! We got enough of that horse manure in X-men, we don't need that in Avengers as well.