Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    I didn't get that impression, but I can understand how one could reach that conclusion.
    You have to remind yourself, "he's a salesman, he's a salesman...". Once you're in the right mindset, you'll get that impression too

BANNED

We were told that Gwen was a science major, but never really got to see that side of her.
    Already had that discussion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    How do you know?
    Mary Jane actually won an award for "Best Female Normal Supporting Character" in 1967, about six years before Gwen was killed off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Award#1967

BANNED

You have to remind yourself, "he's a salesman, he's a salesman...". Once you're in the right mindset, you'll get that impression too
    But if I adopt that logic, I wouldn't be take the word of any writer seriously.

Mighty Member

I agree. Stone was easily one of the strongest aspects of those films. Ironically, her character actually felt closer to Mary Jane's than it did Gwen's.

It's funny because people didn't really seem to start caring about Gwen until she died.
    Even though she's a natural blonde, Emma Stone is known for being a redhead. I would love to have seen her play Mary Jane.
    Yeah....Gwen's popularity seems to stem from her being an iconic comic character's love interest that was killed by the iconic comic character's number one archenemy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Even though she's a natural blonde, Emma Stone is known for being a redhead. I would love to have seen her play Mary Jane.
    I would have as well.

Yeah....Gwen's popularity seems to stem from her being an iconic comic character's love interest that was killed by the iconic comic character's number one archenemy.
    That seems to be all people talk about whenever bringing Gwen's character up.

Incredible Member

Emma Stone was very good in the Amazing Spider-Man films. She had great chemistry with Andrew Garfield. They were in a relationship.
    Furthermore, Emma Stone's Gwen was a bit different from the comics.

Mary Jane was definitely a lot more popular than Gwen in the 1960s and 1970s, and that made it easy to kill off Gwen.

I didn't care for Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane which I thought it was different from the comics.
    I didn't get the "Face it, Tiger...You Hit the Jackpot" impression from her at all.

Mary Jane should have been in the Amazing Spider-Man films.
    There was a triangle of Mary Jane/Peter/Gwen triangle in the comics, but Peter chose Gwen because Gwen seemed like the stable woman to settle down with and Mary Jane was the flaky party girl. Of course, Stan wanted Gwen to be Peter's girlfriend even though most readers wanted Mary Jane to be Peter's girlfriend.

I like movie Gwen a lot more than I like movie Mary Jane.
    I like comic Mary Jane a lot more than I likce comic Gwen.
    Not sure if you're aware, they cast and filmed scenes with Mary Jane, then completely cut her from the film. I just have the DVD of Amazing Spider-Man 2 and her cut scenes aren't there. Given the lack of them from vid searches I've done, I'm guessing they aren't a blu-ray extra either.

BANNED

Mary Jane actually won an award for "Best Female Normal Supporting Character" in 1967, about six years before Gwen was killed off.

I know about that one, dig a little and you'll be surprised as to how many people actually voted. It wasn't the Internet era.

BANNED

But if I adopt that logic, I wouldn't be take the word of any writer seriously.
    And you'd be right 95% of the time (give or take).

BANNED

I know about that one, dig a little and you'll be surprised as to how many people actually voted. It wasn't the Internet era.
    To my knowledge, comics actually sold a lot more back then as opposed to now.

BANNED

To my knowledge, comics actually sold a lot more back then as opposed to now.
    Are we talking sales or a ridiculous award?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Not sure if you're aware, they cast and filmed scenes with Mary Jane, then completely cut her from the film. I just have the DVD of Amazing Spider-Man 2 and her cut scenes aren't there. Given the lack of them from vid searches I've done, I'm guessing they aren't a blu-ray extra either.
    Yep....I was aware of that.

Mighty Member

Wow! I didn't know that. That's very cool! With it only being 1 year (or a little less) after she first appeared is amazing!

BANNED

Are we talking sales or a ridiculous award?
    I just thought more people might vote since sales were higher. Also, would call that award "ridiculous" if Gwen won?

BANNED

Wow! I didn't know that. That's very cool! With it only being 1 year (or a little less) after she first appeared is amazing!
    Readers were instantly taken with Mary Jane's character, but she unfortunately fell by the wayside when Stan Lee began pushing for Gwen to be the love interest. Of course, that all changed when Gerry Conway killed Gwen off to make way for Mary Jane.