Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Can someone explain to me why Rogue was stuck in the Siege Perilous for 14 MONTHS? From what I read from the time, Rogue was one of the most popular female characters in the Marvel Universe. Why make her vanish for more than a year? To me, the only thing that make sense is the X-Men editors wanted her out of the way for a while to work on the character development of Julbulee and to turn Betsy Japanese. It seems pretty lazy that Claremont couldn't figure anything better to with Rogue at the time...

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Storm seems to have been designed as a transracial character, with deliberately mixed features of multiple racial types.

Unfortunately, due to the severe lack of strong black characters, and particularly strong black *women,* in comics at the time, she became a 'black' icon, and any reference to her original design, her Caucasian facial features, her Asian 'almond' eyes, etc. is seen as 'offensive' to those who have claimed her as their own iconic character. She's still got white hair and blue eyes, but increasingly her African heritage has been played up, and I'm fine with that. (Although I'm even more fine with strong black ladies who don't have blue eyes or straight white hair, like Misty Knight or Monica Rambeau.) Regardless of her creators intent, Storm is a black icon *now,* and that's done. At least she's been claimed by the fans, and not sort of sketchily made into a faux representative like Psylocke, the faux-Asian.

Presumably mixed-racial people, who actually are some combination of African, Asian and / or Caucasian, and whom the original Storm would have been equally iconic and ground-breaking, can find their own representative character, in 2035 or something.
    that's the thing as iman pointed out in the video yoga posted people from Africa are not monolithic and don't have one particular look. though people often characterised her as a white girl who was bronze, she herself saw herself as a black girl who looked east african. Ethiopian women have straight her slim noses, thinner lips but they are still very much black and no less black than the black girls with features similar to misty and Monica.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Not one thing. Superlative in every way

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I also like that he's equal opportunity in giving people muscles. It isn't just buff men and skinny women. Everyone looks like a bodybuilder.
    That makes me want to finally read his run... yeah, the storytelling should be the biggest draw but what can I say? I like women who can kick ass.
    Last edited by Valamist; 08-05-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Amazing Member

The whole Madelyne/Scott/Havoc relationship and later the Siege Perilous thing. Claremont reached his peak around Inferno/Fall of the Mutants era IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddor View Post
    Did not see it as dumb. more like the damaged psyche of cyclops.

It was not in the x-men place to tell scott who to marry.
    It was in the X-men's place to talk to him about it. Any one of the other originals and/or Havok should have. I wouldnt expect the newer members to but the first 4? They were like brothers (Alex actually was). Friends and family would have questioned him