Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would happen if Marvel Comic's staff had to run both, Marvel's and DC's ?.

Related to the thread of Disney buying DC and what is being suggested there; what if Disney did that, and fired everyone from the DC comics division except the writers and the artists, now those book being responsibility of the Marvel Comics division on top of the Marvel books.

What do you think it would happen to both universes if that happened ?.

Who frigging cares? It's a ridiculous hypothetical, because it'll never happen. It'd be like asking what would happen if North Korea conquered the US. What would happen if David Bowie came back to life? What the hell is even the point of speculating on something that will never happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Who frigging cares? It's a ridiculous hypothetical, because it'll never happen. It'd be like asking what would happen if North Korea conquered the US. What would happen if David Bowie came back to life? What the hell is even the point of speculating on something that will never happen?
    Well, im just bored; that's why im asking, to see if someone has any crazy idea of what it would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Related to the thread of Disney buying DC and what is being suggested there; what if Disney did that, and fired everyone from the DC comics division except the writers and the artists, now those book being responsibility of the Marvel Comics division on top of the Marvel books.

There would be less focus on characters who are not the big 3 of either company.

Avengers vs Justice League
    Champions vs (Teen) Titans
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member

The return of the Amalgam Universe.

Mighty Member

The very real threat of Bendis lackadaisically destroying everyone's favorite DC characters.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    The very real threat of Bendis lackadaisically destroying everyone's favorite DC characters.
    I just can't help but imagine him on Batman and what that would be like .

Although maybe he'd be a better fit for Green Arrow. Maybe...

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just can't help but imagine him on Batman and what that would be like .

Although maybe he'd be a better fit for Green Arrow. Maybe...
    There were rumors like maybe a little over ten years ago of a possible Bendis Batman/Daredevil team up, but it didn't happen for some reason. It was around the time that DC and Marvel were doing multiple crossovers.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Marvel doesn't have enough staff to run their own damn comics these days.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Marvel doesn't have enough staff to run their own damn comics these days.
    But isn't that about the insufficiency of really good writers and artists rather than background management? And OP stipulated keep those. Indeed savings elsewhere would maybe free up more to spend on creatives.

There would be more cross-overs.

And actually I think in the short term things might improve for DC characters. My gut feeling is that Marvel do some key things slightly better than DC...their range of various trades is better thought out, for instance.

And quality control on main icons is surely better...I can't see Marvel tolerating some of editors and writers used on Superman and JL in last 20 years.

And it would bring DC characters within Marvel Unlimited service..what a prospect that would be for anybody who likes digital comics.

But long term...lack of competition would tell...and there would (I suspect) at some point be a decline in overall quality. Might be good for Valiant, etc of course.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

At Marvel? I don't think so. They have a lot of really well-liked writers: Jason Aaron, Al Ewing, Charles Soule, Cullen Bunn, Greg Pack, underrated new writers like Matt Rosenberg and Saladin Ahmed. The long-standing writers like Brian Bendis, Mark Waid, and Dan Slott have their critics but also have their fans (people are excited that Waid is taking over Captain America, Bendis is killing it on Defenders, etc.).

But they've had some pretty big editing errors recently - everything from having quotes come from the wrong person to continuity gaffs. Also, it's an editor's job to point out when an idea isn't really working. Ultimately, I think that's needed more than different writers.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    And actually I think in the short term things might improve for DC characters. My gut feeling is that Marvel do some key things slightly better than DC...their range of various trades is better thought out, for instance.

And it would bring DC characters within Marvel Unlimited service..what a prospect that would be for anybody who likes digital comics.
    While at the same time, increasing single issue print prices to $4.99 standard (maybe double shipped) and probably more frequent $9.99 issues.

As for trades, Marvel's actually playing catch up to DC in that area. Lower single issue sales has meant DC has had to diversify into trades early on.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/along-with...brary-problem/
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/sdcc-16-dc...n-periodicals/

Of course, this does mean Marvel can make the move to digital more easily since they're not as dependent on reprint graphic novel sales for revenue as DC is.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 07-31-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    And quality control on main icons is surely better...I can't see Marvel tolerating some of editors and writers used on Superman and JL in last 20 years.
    I think the opposite would be true, especially looking at Marvel right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post

See, the first thing I'm having a problem here is even if Disney did buy DC why the hell would they fire everyone?
    Disney barely gets involved Marvel's comic division, why would they do different then?