Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Heads to roll at Marvel

Didn't see a thread for this, so apologies if it is being discussed elsewhere on the forums. However, the latest bit of news doing the rounds is that a person/persons employed at Marvel in a senior position is about to find themselves out of a job. Of course, this is all conjecture at this point.

Here is a link to the original article posted over at Bleeding Cool -
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...-for-the-chop/

Supposedly this is a response to the recent spate of negative publicity the company has weathered this year from the comments surrounding diversity across the line and the X-Men Gold antisemitic controversy. All of which have been levied as reasons for the less than stellar critical reception towards Marvel’s publishing line.

Interestingly enough, this rumour makes mention that Kevin Feige may have pulled some strings to set the wheels in motion. However, it is worth mentioning that Disney was made moves of late to restructure divisions under their ownership that haven’t been performing to expectations.

Whatever transpires, seems we are in for a wild ride over the next few days. Perhaps even weeks or months.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 07-30-2017 at 09:18 PM.

BANNED

Oh how I wish it was Ike getting the axe.

This is just stuff off the rumor mill though so I can't much concern myself with it. I wonder if Feige would even care that much about what goes on with the comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post

This is just stuff off the rumor mill though so I can't much concern myself with it. I wonder if Feige would even care that much about what goes on with the comics.
    If negative reception towards the books is sufficient enough to start impacting on the films, I could see him stepping in. I do concur though, that part had me wondering as well.

Ike has too many shares to be forced out, sadly.

Axel Alonso is the rumoured scapegoat. However, i wouldn't rule SVP of sales, David Gabriel, to be the one with a target on his back. Most of the gaffes can be traced back to marketing, sales, and the disastrous mandates placed on the publishing division.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    If negative reception towards the books is sufficient enough to start impacting on the films, I could see him stepping in. I do concur though, that part had me wondering as well.

Axel Alonso is the rumoured scapegoat. However, i wouldn't rule SVP of sales, David Gabriel, to be the one with a target on his back. Most of the gaffes can be traced back to marketing, sales, and the disastrous mandates placed on the publishing division.
    Sales have that much power? I am intesrerdd in reading instances of that. Could you hlep point to some articles?
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post

I think Gabriel is more likely then Alonso, especially because he got a lot of (justified) flack for his comments on Marvel's use of diversity and how it's responsible for Marvel's sales woes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Gabriel is more likely then Alonso, especially because he got a lot of (justified) flack for his comments on Marvel's use of diversity and how it's responsible for Marvel's sales woes.
    That's who my money is on. The fact he escaped the axe back when he made those comments baffled me. Other people in the past have been shown the door for less.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    Sales have that much power? I am intesrerdd in reading instances of that. Could you hlep point to some articles?
    I'm just offering up a logical explanation for why Feige would get involved (I don't think he has. It is just a musing that was in the article i linked.) As I've said, my money is on Gabriel (that's if anyone is getting laid off at all.) If it isn't him, I could see Alonso taking one for the team. Just because he is the EiC and many associate all that's wrong with the books at the moment with his leadership and vision (even though most decisions are made by committee among editorial.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Ike's already left Marvel, they just haven't said anything publically. Back in, like, April I think.
    I surrender to the Contest

Amazing Member

For me, David Gabriel or Brevoort are the most likely to go, the first made the declarations that spurned a big backlash in the media when Marvel situation was already bad. The other is very abrasive with fans and I do not see him as someone that irreplaceable or that would be that desired for the concurrence.

Alonso may just step aside from the position of EiC and may be assume some other position inside Marvel. We already had editors like Tom DeFalco that were EiC once, stepped aside, but kept working as editor and writer in the Spider-Man office. Alonso also have a good backtrack as editor in Marvel and in independent comics, so may be Marvel wants to kept him.

And about Quesada? He is not in the comics anymore, but he have creative influence over it and some other company would like to count with him, but I am not sure.

If it is the bad PR, I'd suspect Alonso leaving over Gabriel. Yeah, the diversity thing was a big old gaffe, and he never should have tried to play the "blaming diversity but not really" bs, but it seems like just as much brand damage can be laid at the EiC's feet. But I'm not holding my breath either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    Ike's already left Marvel, they just haven't said anything publically. Back in, like, April I think.
    HALLE-F***ING-LUJAH!

NOW... maybe the poor editors at Marvel can finally put up their Fantastic Four posters again, and get a new book going!

And maybe, just maybe... there can FINALLY be a deal between Marble and Fox-men.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think a lot of people took his comments out of context.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Of course BleedingCool is reporting this. Even they're saying "this could be completely bogus, it's just unfounded speculation by people who work for Marvel." That's not really news. But if it happens, they get to say they were right and if it doesn't, they can say "well, they were just whispers anyway. I'm not sure I buy that Feige has an active interest in the comic side of things. I've never really seen an interest before.

I don't think that's correct. He just had his title changed to better fit the Disney hierarchy.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I could possibly buy this because I've seen outrage over particularly the Hydra Cap stuff from people who don't read comics but are film fans. Marvel Studios share a name and brand with Marvel comics and could want the negative press to end just because of the association.

No, Ike was taken off of the MCU panel. That is an entirely different thing. And to consider Ike as being somebody that would "loose his job" is rather misunderstanding what his position is anyway.

Without reading the article. (I just don't read that site at all unless I absolutely have to) the suggestion would be Gabriel is the target of the article. That would barely impact which books are published, but it would be a tragic outcome for Marvel on the publishing side, as few people have a better understanding of that part of the business.