Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Parker Industries CEO VS Supermodel Mary Jane Watson Parker

I don't mind Peter being successful either...but only if he has achieved it himself and not through others like Doc Ock. And the hypocrisy of making Peter rich and successful after all that talk that Peter had to be denied MJ because she was a supermodel was just stupid and continues to show the unsound reasoning behind the way Marvel justified OMD and getting rid of MJ.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    I don't mind Peter being successful either...but only if he has achieved it himself and not through others like Doc Ock. And the hypocrisy of making Peter rich and successful after all that talk that Peter had to be denied MJ because she was a supermodel was just stupid and continues to show the unsound reasoning behind the way Marvel justified OMD and getting rid of MJ.

She wasn't even a supermodel when she met him.
    She was an aspiring actress who was busy taking drama lessons.
    She came into his life through both of their aunts being neighbors and best friends setting them up.
    Haven't those higher-ups read the early comics????
    Last edited by Starrius; 07-28-2017 at 09:47 PM.

i find the "achieve it yourself" angle a bit rich, since marvel superhero comics are literally founded on the idea of power you didn't earn or achieve on your own. entry into being a superhero didn't depend on merit or worthiness, it was almost always an accident. cosmic rays, gamma bombs, radioactive spiders- right place, right time. mutants are just born with it.

it's what the characters do with the power after they have it that's important. batman and stark inherited their fortunes. i don't see why peter as ceo needs to be any different.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post

She came into his life through both of their aunts setting them up.
    I agree with you Starrius...I just mentioned the supermodel thing because that is the same old tired unsound argument that fans who hate the marriage and MJ use to justify OMD and the removal of the marriage. They try and state that MJ was too successful and rich to be with Peter because her presence and influence took him too far away from being a down on his luck character...but it's perfectly fine to make him a rich and highly successful CEO multi-millionaire or billionaire who dates super-hot chicks with supermodel looks.

Mighty Member

I agree with you Starrius...I just mentioned the supermodel thing because that is the same old tired unsound argument that fans who hate the marriage and MJ use to justify OMD and the removal of the marriage. They try and state that MJ was too successful and rich to be with Peter because her presence and influence took him too far away from being a down on his luck character...but it's perfectly fine to make him a rich and highly successful CEO multi-millionaire or billionaire who dates super-hot chicks with supermodel looks.
    I understand

Mary Jane wasn't always successful rich and successful.
    She had her problems with her careers as an actress and model.
    In their marriage, they had financial problems that they even had to stay with May.

They talk like they haven't read many comic books and don't understand Mary Jane.
    Last edited by Starrius; 07-28-2017 at 10:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i find the "achieve it yourself" angle a bit rich, since marvel superhero comics are literally founded on the idea of power you didn't earn or achieve on your own. entry into being a superhero didn't depend on merit or worthiness, it was almost always an accident. cosmic rays, gamma bombs, radioactive spiders- right place, right time. mutants are just born with it.

it's what the characters do with the power after they have it that's important. batman and stark inherited their fortunes. i don't see why peter as ceo needs to be any different.
    I agree with most of your statement here boots...but I disagree with you in the case that Peter taking over a company that was built by a villain to be in very bad taste IMHO. I would rather have liked to see Peter do that himself...then have something happen that makes him lose his company,or just a big part of it.To me it would be like Doc Ock stealing millions of dollars while in Pete's body and then giving all that stolen money over to Peter after he got his body back...and Peter has no problem taking stolen money and using it as his own? No man...that's just highly OOC IMHO.After Peter got his body back from Ock and realized what he did with Parker Industries should have Peter just sign that company over to the shareholders and refuse to take any money for it...Peter should have immediately washed his hands of having anything to do with a villains work.

BANNED

Yep...definitely! Stupid lame excuses to justify the huge turd that is OMD.

I agree with most of your statement here boots...but I disagree with you in the case that Peter taking over a company that was built by a villain to be in very bad taste IMHO. I would rather have liked to see Peter do that himself...then have something happen that makes him lose his company,or just a big part of it.To me it would be like Doc Ock stealing millions of dollars while in Pete's body and then giving all that stolen money over to Peter after he got his body back...and Peter has no problem taking stolen money and using it as his own? No man...that's just highly OOC IMHO.After Peter got his body back from Ock and realized what he did with Parker Industries should have Peter just sign that company over to the shareholders and refuse to take any money for it...Peter should have immediately washed his hands of having anything to do with a villains work.
    ok, but that's a separate issue. not sure i agree (i think peter or anyone has the potential to do good things with it), but it's a different issue to whether peter "earned" the company.

i didn't read superior...was the company founded unethically?
    troo fan or death

I agree with most of your statement here boots...but I disagree with you in the case that Peter taking over a company that was built by a villain to be in very bad taste IMHO.
    The company wasn't founded by a villain. Ock was sincerely acting as a hero. An arrogant, self-important jackass of a hero, but Superior Spider-Man wasn't a villain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The company wasn't founded by a villain. Ock was sincerely acting as a hero. An arrogant, self-important jackass of a hero, but Superior Spider-Man wasn't a villain.
    Superior was a hero? Doc Ock who once claimed he wanted to be worse than Hitler and has harmed people while in Peter's body was a hero? I'm sorry...I have to disagree...Ock has never been a hero and even when he was still in Peter's body {which he took by force}and tried to act like a hero he was still a villain pretending to be something he was not. PI was built by a villain...basically, a wolf in sheep's clothing IMHO.
    Last edited by Timmyb52; 07-28-2017 at 11:06 PM.

She was an aspiring actress who was busy taking drama lessons.
    She came into his life through both of their aunts being neighbors and best friends setting them up.
    Haven't those higher-ups read the early comics????
    That doesn't mitigate her status as a supermodel, or as someone known to be beautiful enough to make a living in that field. It seems to be an argument against a point that isn't being made.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That doesn't mitigate her status as a supermodel, or as someone known to be beautiful enough to make a living in that field. It seems to be an argument against a point that isn't being made.
    What's your point?
    I never said that it did mitigate it.

My point was that she was not a supermodel when they met.
    She was more than just a supermodel.
    She was the niece of her aunt's neighbor/best friend that that his aunt and her aunt was trying to set him up with and happened to want to be in show business

What's your point?
    I never said that it did mitigate it.

My point was that she was not a supermodel when they met.
    She was more than just a supermodel.
    She was the niece of her aunt's neighbor/best friend that that his aunt and her aunt was trying to set him up with and happened to want to be in show business
    That doesn't change the baggage that comes with her multiple stints as a supermodel/ celebrity.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

That doesn't change the baggage that comes with her multiple stints as a supermodel/ celebrity.

I never said that it did though

you're the one that just brought that up

I will agree to disagree with the supermodel stuff

I'm not sure if there's that much baggage in the first place; MJ was never a superstar, if I recall correctly (wasn't it a recurring point that she was regularly trying to make it big?). Also, didn't a lot of those stints come out after they were married (I don't recall a specific age mentioned in the original comics, but I did get the impression that they were on the younger side)?