Extraordinary Member

Default Great characterizations in not-so-great comics

Are there any Marvel comic runs where you loved the way a particular character was written, even though you didn't think it was a great run overall?

For example, my favorite Marvel character is the Scarlet Witch, and my favorite characterization of her is in Force Works, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's EDGY EXTREME 1990s revamp of West Coast Avengers. The comic wasn't terribly good and Wanda had one of her worst costumes (see below), but Abnett and Lanning managed to make her tougher, more of a leader, and more of a modern character without losing the things her fans already liked about her. When she went back to the Avengers under other writers, her characterization was good but much more traditional.

So what are some other characterizations that made a not-great comic worth reading for you?

Force Works 003-012.jpg
    Last edited by gurkle; 08-01-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Captain America and Hawkeye

Wasn't a terrible interesting story or Villain but I enjoyed the dynamic between them especially since their "voices" were spot on.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Doctor Octopus in post-Superior Amazing Spider-Man comics.