Default Green Lanterns #28 Preview/Discussion

Another ancient GL, a female kryptonian:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/pr...n-lanterns-28/

lomelgande

So is Humphries just ignoring that Manhunters ever existed, or is Atrocitus 10 Billion years old?

Quote Originally Posted by lomelgande View Post
    So is Humphries just ignoring that Manhunters ever existed, or is Atrocitus 10 Billion years old?
    Now that you mention it, I'm trying to remember if Humphries has addressed the Manhunters at all in this, because this whole "First Lantern" story and using Volthoom as a reason for these original GL's existing is kind undermining their role in the mythos.

Though it's kind of funny in hindsight given a Manhunter popped up in the Rebirth issue .

Although I think Atrocitus is long-lived, now that I think about it. I'm not sure if that's actually canon though.

BANNED

He probably is, even by previous figures he'd have been millions of years old.

I mean, the Guardians were usually considered some of the first intelligent lifeforms in the DCU, so they have alot of time to play around with.

That said I agree that 10 billion years appears seems to stretch the established history... but then again, it seems these days half of GL-stories are about the skeletons of in the Guardians closets coming back to haunt them-

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    He probably is, even by previous figures he'd have been millions of years old.

I mean, the Guardians were usually considered some of the first intelligent lifeforms in the DCU, so they have alot of time to play around with.

That said I agree that 10 billion years appears seems to stretch the established history... but then again, it seems these days half of GL-stories are about the skeletons of in the Guardians closets coming back to haunt them-
    There was actually an article on CBR right when this arc started, which confirmed that this does not reboot the Green Lantern Corps, which is still maintaining its Manhunter-centric origin. Humphries also confirmed this in an interview. He basically said that the Green Lantern CORPS came after the Manhunters, but that the Corps wasn't the first time that there were any Green LANTERNS running around.

http://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-reveals...green-lantern/
    He clarified that, though this development does mean that Green Lanterns are officially a ten billion year old concept in the DC Universe, it doesn’t actually reboot the Green Lantern Corps, which is sticking to it’s classic, Manhunter-tied origins.
    https://graphicpolicy.com/2017/05/16...reveal-part-2/
    What we’re doing is illuminating Green Lantern history that we’ve never seen before. We originally were told the Green Lantern Corps began after the Manhunters and that’s still true. But, were the first Green Lanterns after the Manhunters? No, they were 10 billion years ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    There was actually an article on CBR right when this arc started, which confirmed that this does not reboot the Green Lantern Corps, which is still maintaining its Manhunter-centric origin. Humphries also confirmed this in an interview. He basically said that the Green Lantern CORPS came after the Manhunters, but that the Corps wasn't the first time that there were any Green LANTERNS running around.

http://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-reveals...green-lantern/

https://graphicpolicy.com/2017/05/16...reveal-part-2/
    I see, so the Kryptonian is basically one of the 'test runs' the Guardians were doing before comitting to an idea... being the Manhunters.

It was fun watching Jess take charge in this in her own, adorable, way .

The Kryptonian GL burning herself out felt kind of prophetic...

Astonishing Member

Man. What a hell of an issue. we now have all of our 7 First Lanterns. Or had :P

1) Alitha of Galactica/The Third World
    2) Jan-Al of Krypton
    3) Kaja Dox of Yod Colu
    4) Calleen of Alstair
    5) Brill of Grenda
    6) Z'Kran Z'Rann (White Martian) of Mars
    7) Tyran'r of Tamaran

Really fun seeing all of them interact. Guess Simon'll be getting Jan-Al's ring now?

Jan-Al really seems based on Tomorrow Woman. Design. Colors. Outfit placement. Earrings. Vague but not really evil "betrayal". Even death. I wonder if it's intentional or just a hilarious accident. I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't out of the story for good either (as unlikely as a return is). I mean Rao IS a real cosmic DC being, a Sun God and she died from burning up...

The oddest thing I questioned was the Martian bit so far. As the Martian's were Burning Martian's at this point in Martian history. The division only happening 20,000 years ago. That resulted in White and Green Martian's.

Also wondering just when the First and Second World's existed if we're on the Third already.

And lastly I am still confused as to why The First Lantern Volthoom is so dangerous to the Guardians. Has it just been forgotten that a single one has over the power of 10 rings in them? Or should we just assume they haven't learned to use powers yet since they only recently gave away emotion?

Just really adored it. Especially seeing them all interact. Calleen be nicer to Brill.
    Last edited by PyroTwilight; 08-02-2017 at 07:04 PM.