Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I adored their conversation about what the 'S' stands for. It said so much about them. Superboy, the one who was 'out there' about everything, assumed it meant truth. In fact he was certain at this point that Superman didn't have a secret identity at all. Steel, the one who started out trying to stop the weapons he created and bring down the ones misusing them,was focused on justice. And Supergirl, who had 'redeemed Lindas lost soul,' thought it meant hope.

The differing worldviews and personalities was really neat, and in hindsight even seems special. I can't remember the last time I such such diversity of thought from the main characters of one of the big lines from DC or Marvel. Nowadays all the Robins seem copy and paste, and so many of the hero vs hero fights come down to who wants to be the jerk making the decisions over life and death rather than real ideological differences.

I also liked the little touches like Supergirl's worrying about the Kents and Lois and her efforts to protect Clark's secret ID. When it came to what they should do next she was practically the leader in that story, but when it came to talking about herself or her opinions she was embarrassed to speak. So many little nuances.

Does anyone here remember the Team Superman book from 1998, the 1 where Linda, Connor, and Steel protect Metropolis in Superman's absence? It's a pretty interesting look into the personalities of all 3 characters.
    Do you know the name?, i'm interested in the Superfamily of the 90s.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Do you know the name?, i'm interested in the Superfamily of the 90s.

That's the issue. Unfortunately I don't think there is a digital version to buy.

Thank you .

BANNED

God I loved the 90s

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    God I loved the 90s
    People mock the decade because they see all the crap Marvel and Image were putting out, but they always forget how AMAZING DC was for most of the 90's.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    People mock the decade because they see all the crap Marvel and Image were putting out, but they always forget how AMAZING DC was for most of the 90's.

It was the best of times,so much fun

I would argue that the 90s were actually better thanmthe 2000s in many ways, even Marvel got better by he end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I would argue that the 90s were actually better thanmthe 2000s in many ways, even Marvel got better by he end.
    Overall? Unquestionably I'd say. While there were obviously some stinkers in there (I'm looking at you, Extreme Justice) DC for the most part was putting out consistently great books. And just as importantly, regardless of the crap, the majority of the DCU was in good, stable places. Even if that meant limbo for some, and there were still some BS deaths like Ice's (Thanks for bringing her back Gail!), overall, bleakness wasn't coating everything, a coating of fun being present instead. This continued into the early 2000's , but once Graduation Day and Identity Crisis hit, it was all downhill. (And got WORSE after Infinite Crisis) DC was still putting out good books (including some of their best books ever like Secret Six and 52) but the crap out weighed the good, and the aforementioned bleakness brought everything down. While I still prefer this era to the Nu52 in general, there's a reason I say that DC has, overall, been awful for 13/14 years.

Extraordinary Member

The 90s were amazing for DC, especially for the Superman line.

Batman went through Knightfall and spun off into Dixon's Robin, Birds of Prey, and Nightwing, all great.

Superman had the triangle era where there was new content directly continuing from the previous issue every week, and spun off into Supergirl, Superboy, and Steel, all great.

Morrison's JLA.

Really, unless your favorite DC character is Hal Jordan the 90s were just a great time for the company.

To some extent 'Team Superman' makes me sad, because I know we're not going to see writing or interactions like it for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 08-16-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The 90s were amazing for DC, especially for the Superman line.

Batman went through Knightfall and spun off into Dixon's Robin, Birds of Prey, and Nightwing, all great.

Superman had the triangle era where there was new content directly continuing from the previous issue every week, and spun off into Supergirl, Superboy, and Steel, all great.

Morrison's JLA.

Really, unless your favorite DC character is Hal Jordan the 90s were just a great time for the company.

To some extent 'Team Superman' makes me sad, because I know we're not going to see writing or interactions like it for the forseeable future.
    Also the Vertigo line was amazing at that time. I really miss Jenette Kahn running DC.

Extraordinary Member

Final part of episode 2

Supergirl flies low over the city, smiling and waving at the people cheering her below.

“Supergirl!” she hears Fred's voice call out. “Hey! Supergirl!”

She sees that Fred is calling to her from close to the police station. He is wearing his police uniform.
    “I really need to talk to you!”

Supergirl tries to smile and floats down to Fred. “Um, yes, Officer Danvers?”

Fred breathes a sigh of relief. “I can't tell you how glad I am to run into you. First off, I want to thank you for finding Linda.”

“Yes.” Supergirl says uncomfortably. “How is she?”

“That's what I need your help with.” Fred tells her. “Linda ran out of the hospital yesterday and we haven't seen her since. If you could find her again...”

Supergirl is silent for a few seconds, then says “I'll see what I can do.”

“Thank you.”

Supergirl starts to float up again. “Have a good day, Officer Danvers.”

“You too, Supergirl.”

Supergirl flies away from the police station in a bad mood.

“Weeeellllllllll.” she hears Buzz's voice say.

Supergirl stops and looks around. She sees Buzz on a nearby roof.

“Why didn't you tell daddy dearest about your little resurrection trick on his daughter?” Buzz asks.

“You!” Supergirl yells. She charges at Buzz fists first. However, she just flies through him.

Buzz laughs. “Did you think you were the only one with powers beyond those of mortal men?”

Buzz's laughter is heard even though his mouth isn't moving. Supergirl covers her ears and screams “Get out of my head!”

Buzz holds up his hands. “Sure. As I understand it it's a little crowded in there right now anyway.”

“You...” Supergirl growls as she lowers her hands. “You did this! Change us back!”

“Me?” Buzz does an over-the-top gesture of shock at being accused. “All I tried to do was summon an ancient demon. Your little identity problem is all on you.”

Buzz smiles. “But I am interested in what you've become. So what do you say to a little test?”

Supergirl turns to leave. “Forget it. I'm not playing any of your games.”

“Even if there's a life at stake?”

Supergirl stops. “What?”

“An innocent man is about to die.” Buzz gloats. “And playing my game is the only chance you have to save him.”

Supergirl clenches her fists in anger.

CS

The camera shows the outside of a run down movie theater before moving inside, where a small crowd is cheering the show being performed on the stage.

On the stage Cutter is lying in the center of another pentagram, clutching his bleeding stomach. Behind him is another portal, identical to the one seen in episode 1. In front of him is the child he saw getting into the van earlier, only he is no child.

He holds up a bloodied knife, also identical to the one used to stab Linda in episode 1.

“You poor schmuck.” the midget says. “You really thought a was a kid being taken?”

Cutter groans in pain.

“Well, you know what they say about 'no good deed.'” the midget taunts.

The midget walks past Cutter and places the knife into the portal. The crowd cheers and Cutter stares in horror as the portal dissolves and a large figure takes its place.

Where the portal once stood there now stands a seven foot tall creature. It has the form of a body builder, fire orange fur all over its body, and the head of a saber-tooth tiger.

The midget kneels. “Lord Chakat. At last.”

Lord Chakat sniffs the air. “I smell blood.” he says in a deep voice.

“Yes.” The midget gestures at Cutter. “We have brought you a sacrifice to celebrate your return to the human world.”

Cutter shakes his head in terror and mutters “No.” over and over again.

“I hunger.” Chakat says, beginning to walk towards Cutter.

There is a loud boom as the back wall explodes. Supergirl flies through the hole in the wall and lands on the stage.

The crowd starts to scream and head towards the exits.

Chakat belches a fire ball from his mouth at the exits, blocking them off.

Supergirl regard Chakat with caution. “What the hell are you?”

Chakat leers at her. “The one who interfered with my earlier crossing. The two-who-are-one.” He steps towards her. Supergirl takes a step back.

Chakat unleashes another fire blast from his mouth. This one is much bigger and brighter than the earlier ones. Supergirl shields herself with her forearms, but the blast still knocks her off of the stage.

Chakat stands over her and gloats. “Yes. I shall feast on the living heart of that which once did not truly live. Then nothing will stand in the way of my conquest of this world.”

Supergirl rises. “I think you'll find that I'm more than you can chew.”

She flies at Chakat, and they throw punches at each other at the same time. Their fists collide, causing a shockwave that knocks everyone else in the theater down and causes the whole building to shake.

Supergirl sees Cutter fall off the stage and makes a move to help him. While she is distracted, Ckakat lands a blow on the side of her face. She slides to the edge of the stage.

Supergirl rises again, this time rubbing her cheek where she had been punched. Her eyes narrow in concentration, and Chakat is struck by a powerful telekinetic blast. He is forced backwards into the wall, cracking it.

Chakat hunches over and holds his chest. Supergirl has hurt him badly.

Chakat roars in anger and raises his arm. A large sword appears in his hand, and he then brandishes it in both hands.

Supergirl sees the design on the sword and flashes back to the knife she destroyed in episode 1. That knife had the same design as the sword.

Chakat charges at Supergirl with the sword raised over his head. He brings it down on her, and she catches the blade between her palms. The force of Chakat's blow causes her to have to lean very far back to avoid being sliced down the middle.

Both combatants grit their teeth as they struggle to move the sword. Chakat growls, drool dripping from his open mouth.

Supergirl slowly straightens her back, gaining more leverage.

She glares at Chakat and growls through her gritted teeth. “Get...the hell...OFF MY PLANET!”

Supergirl snaps the blade of the sword in two. With his weapon destroyed, Chakat backs up in horror.

Chakat screams “You don't know what you've done!” He slowly fades from our realm.

The battle won, Supergirl goes over to Cutter, who is barely conscious.

“Are you all right?” she asks.

Cutter smiles and raises his hand so he can wag his finger at her. “I want an interview...”

CS

Later, after he is out of surgery, Supergirl visits Cutter in his hospital room.

“I understand that you're going to have a full recovery.”

Cutter grins. “Seems that way.”

“You're in pretty good spirits for someone who was almost stabbed to death.” she obseres

“As long as I can still write I'm golden.” Cutter assures her. “And they didn't cut my hands. Also, this means I'm finally gonna get a call from my mom where she doesn't yell at me.”

Supergirl looks to the side. “You see this as a chance to reconnect with your family.”

“Well, yeah.”

Supergirl looks at him seriously. “The leader of that cult is still out there. I'm going to stop him.” She turns to leave through the window.

“And then you'll move on to another town?” Cutter asks. “Go back to wandering the country?”

Supergirl stops for a second. “I have no intention of leaving Leesburg.” she says softly before flying out of the window.

Cutter's eyes widen. Then he smiles.

“Now that's a story.”

CS

Another large crowd, this time of civilians, has gathered outside of the movie theater to watch the police take away all of the cultists.

“I never knew this group was so big.” one observer says in shock.

An older woman shakes her head. “Young people these days. I tell you, this town is going straight to hell.”

“I don't know about straight.” Buzz says from within the crowd of observers. He pushes his way out of the crowd and walks down the street on his own, grinning from ear to ear.

“After all, getting there is half the fun.”

CS

Sylvia is watching the news about the mass arrest at the movie theater while Fred reads a novel.

Fred decides that he can't bear to listen to the news anymore and starts to head upstairs.

The door bell rings, and Sylvia turns off the television to go answer it.

Sylvia looks through the peephole to see who it is, and her jaw drops. She rushes to open the door.

Standing in the doorway is Linda, still wearing her hospital gown from the day before.

“FRED!” Sylvia calls.

“What is it?” Fred yells from the top of the stairs. Sylvia is speechless and does not answer him.

Fred comes to the door and stops, looking shocked.

Linda takes a deep breath. “Mom....dad....um...hi...”

“Ohhhh!” Sylvia screams and embraces her daughter. Fred joins in and makes it a group hug.

All sound stops other than the music that plays during this reunion. The three-way hug continues until the credits start, and all three Danvers are crying tears of joy.

After circling the family several times, the camera focuses on Linda's face as she laughs and cries at the same time.

The end.

Extraordinary Member

Episode 3 part 1

The camera circles the room slowly, passing over dolls, sculptures, and wall posters. The camera then shows that Linda is examining her possessions with an expression of wonder. She is wearing her pajamas.

Linda reaches out and touches some of the dolls and sculptures. The camera focuses on one sculpture in particular, one of Supergirl. Linda reaches behind that sculpture and picks up a different one. This sculpture is of an angel, and it has a ribbon with the number #1 written on it. Linda smiles at this winning sculpture and replaces it in the spot the Supergirl sculpture had.

Linda stretches and takes one last look out of her bedroom window before bed. She sees a small figure climbing out of her neighbor's window and onto a ledge.

The child, a girl about eight years old, is slowly making her way to a tree branch right in back of her house. A cat is sitting on the branch.

“Binky.” the little girl whispers to the cat. “C'mere, Binky.”

The child reaches for the branch, only to slip and fall off of the ledge.

A pair of arms catches her, and she looks up to see that Supergirl is holding her.

“Supergirl!”

Supergirl puts the child on the ground. “And what do you think your doing out so far past your bed-time?” she asks semi-sternly.

The girl points at the tree. “I left my window open and Binky climbed out.”

Supergirl looks up. “Binky?”

“My kitty.”

Supergirl spots the cat and floats up to the branch. “Here, Binky.” she says softly. Gently, she scoops the cat into her arm.

Supergirl floats down, and the girl is thrilled to have her cat back. “Binky!” She hugs the cat, which meows at her.

Supergirl flies them up to the window and puts them in the girl's room.

“Thanks, Supergirl.” the girl says while still holding Binky. “You won't tell my parents about this, will you?”

“Fine. But only if you promise not to go climbing out of any more windows at night.”

“I promise.” the girl says.

Supergirl holds out her hand. “Pinky swear?”

The girl excitedly interlocks her pinky finger with Supergirl's. “Pinky swear.”

Supergirl nods and beings to float away. “Very good. Pleasant dreams, Stacy, and you too, Binky.”

Stacey stares in awe as Supergirl flies into the sky. “She knows my name!”

Fade into the opening credits.

CS

Two men, a larger man in his forties and a skinnier man in his thirties, are sharing a dingy apartment. The larger man sits at the couch and watches the morning news while the skinnier man goes to the door and picks up the newspaper.

The camera moves around their walls, showing plaques of scientific awards and framed newspaper articles, one of which is titled 'Wizard Brothers Do It Again.'

The skinnier brother looks through the classifieds and calls out “what do you think of going into software design, like making videogames or something?”

The larger brother doesn't answer. He is focused on the television.

As a commercial break ends, the anchorwoman states “And now back to our top story. After months of astounding feats across the country, the mysterious heroine known as Supergirl has apparently decided to make her home in the Virginian town of Leesburg.”

The skinnier brother comes up behind his older brother looking a little worried. “Paul?”

Paul leans forward. “Finally.” he says.

CS

Cutter Sharpe is lying in his hospital bed, playing a game on his phone. “Oh, come on!” he moans as his character dies.

A nurse enters the room. “Mr. Sharpe? You have a visitor.”

Cutter doesn't take his eyes off of his phone. “Male or female?”

“Male.”

“Darn it.” Cutter mutters. “Ok. Send him in.”

Cutter starts his game again as a handsome man in his late thirties with a brown goatee, a nice suit, and an expensive briefcase enters the room.

“Hello, Wendell.”

Cutter drops his phone and looks at the man in a combination of shock and nervousness.

“Mr. Thornton! W-what brings you all the way here from the big city?”

“I was in Washington.” Colin Thornton replies. “So not that far away. As for what brings me here...” He holds up a copy of that day's Newstime and throws it onto Cutter's bed. The top story is Cutter's article about Supergirl. “Only the biggest story of the year.”

Cutter grins sheepishly. “Yeah. I guess it is.”

“And you got the scoop.”

Cutter rubs his bald head. “Well, yeah.”

Thornton continues. “This town is average in every respect. One person moves here, and suddenly everyone in the country knows the name Leesburg. And I want to know why.”

Cutter nods.

“Other cities wanted her. The mayor of Chicago offered Supergirl lifetime free tickets to Wrigley Field if she would agree to stay there and become the Windy City's official superhero. She didn't stop to consider it. It was the same in half the cities she's appeared in. Now she just declares that she's making her home in Leesburg? What does this town, this town, offer her that Chicago and the rest of the country doesn't?”

“That's the big question, sir.”

“Now, Wendell, with a single line, you got more personal information out of Supergirl than any reporter has managed since she first appeared. I am personally assigning you to get more. Get me the full story of Supergirl. I want her name associated with Newstime.”

Cutter takes a deep breath. “That's the sort of story most reporters would kill for.”

“'Most reporters' didn't get Supergirl to give them an interview. Either you have amazing luck, or she's more comfortable with you than with the media in general. Either way

“If that's the case then I won't let you down sir.” Cutter promises.

“Good.” Thornton turns to leave. “You're medical expenses have been paid for in full, and when you get home you'll find a gift basket waiting for you.”

Cutter looks at the newspaper and laughs weakly.

BANNED

Sooooooo, according to Steve Orlando, Eliza and Jeremiah Danvers are the SAME people as Fred and Sylvia Danvers. Huh.

how does that work?