Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Hypothetical Peter/Gwen marriage

Let's just pretend for a minute that Gwen had survived and it was her, not Mary-Jane, that Peter had married in 1987. Without the controversey over being married to a supermodel, how do you think this would have affected events like One More Day and the attempt by the 90s Clone Saga to return Peter to single status?
    Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 08-02-2017 at 12:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
    Let's just pretend for a minute that Gwen had survived and it was her, not Mary-Jane, that Peter had married in 1987. Without the controversey over being married to a supermodel, how do you think this would have affected events like One More Day and the attempt by the 90s Clone Saga to return Peter to single status?
    It honestly wouldn't have changed anything. Marvel has made it clear many times that they hate the very idea of Peter Parker being married at all. In fact, one of the numerous reasons Gwen was killed off was actually to prevent marriage between her and Peter. You can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ni...ed#Development

We already saw a Peter/Gwen marriage during House of M.

BANNED

Peter married Gwen in a silver age edition of What If, but was forced to go on the run pretty quickly when Norman exposed his identity. It ended on a cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    We already saw a Peter/Gwen marriage during House of M.
    And that was more or less because Peter felt guilty about her death.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Peter married Gwen in a silver age edition of What If, but was forced to go on the run pretty quickly when Norman exposed his identity. It ended on a cliffhanger.

And that was more or less because Peter felt guilty about her death.
    Do you think Peter and Mary Jane had an affair in the M world while they were playing husband and wife in the Spider-Man docudrama?

I read that Peter kept a journal and his family read it. It was pretty much the stuff that happened in the real world, and his family thought he was crazy. Of course, his being the Green Goblin didn't help matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    It honestly wouldn't have changed anything. Marvel has made it clear many times that they hate the very idea of Peter Parker being married at all. In fact, one of the numerous reasons Gwen was killed off was actually to prevent marriage between her and Peter. You can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ni...ed#Development
    Yeah I have to agree with Masked Guy it probably wouldn't have changed much. The clone saga's problem is that they let the marketing team run the show and over stayed it's welcome. OMD would've still been controversial and hated.

I would've given them a few months .

I think most of the same objections to the marriage would have existed with Gwen. Mary Jane had some advantages Gwen didn't (personality, a profession in a field that is visually interesting) although we really don't know how Gwen would've been depicted in the bronze age and later. Maybe in this alternate world, she'd have been compelling as the Emma Stone Gwen Stacy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Lightbulb

Standard 616 Peter and Gwen might have been interesting, at least as much as Peter/MJ were. I do, however, think Peter as Spider-Man married to Gwen as "Spider-Gwen" (or whatever her alias) would be a far more interesting possible pairing. There is a great deal of unexplored story potential there. Although I would rather they not saddled with a kid (like MJ and Peter in RYV) right out of the gate but rather given time to be a crime-fighting couple together first.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-02-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Standard 616 Peter and Gwen might have been interesting, at least as much as Peter/MJ were. I do, however, think Peter as Spider-Man married to Gwen as "Spider-Gwen" (or whatever her alias) would be a far more interesting possible pairing. There is a great deal of unexplored story potential there. Although I would rather they not saddled with a kid (like MJ and Peter in RYV) right out of the gate but rather given time to be a crime-fighting couple together first.
    I don't see how a marriage between Peter and 616 Gwen would've been anything short of a train-wreck given how much Peter's status as Spider-Man negatively impacted the relationship.

She would've needed to have gotten over her hatred of Spider-Man and her own issues (which she had a lot of).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see how a marriage between Peter and 616 Gwen would've been anything short of a train-wreck given how much Peter's status as Spider-Man negatively impacted the relationship.

She would've needed to have gotten over her hatred of Spider-Man and her own issues (which she had a lot of).
    She was ok with everything in Clone Conspiracy.

616 Peter and 65 Gwen would be weird. 65 Peter was a bit creepy and Gwen was interested in Harry, not Peter. Even though 616 Peter is a different character, that's probably too much baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I think clone Gwen's reaction in the original Clone Saga (especially once the clone found out he was Spider-Man) was more accurate to how it would go.

The Clone Conspiracy clone also seemed a bit more mature and level-headed then Gwen was when she was actually alive.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think most of the same objections to the marriage would have existed with Gwen. Mary Jane had some advantages Gwen didn't (personality, a profession in a field that is visually interesting) although we really don't know how Gwen would've been depicted in the bronze age and later. Maybe in this alternate world, she'd have been compelling as the Emma Stone Gwen Stacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I agree with those. It is very possile their relationship and Gwen herself could've evolved considerably, it's an interesting scenario to think about.
    But I gotta say I'd not be interested in Peter with Spider-Gwen tho. LOL At least not the 616 and 95 versions. An AU where they both got powers and are a crime fightning couple? Could be interesting especially if written well, I'd get that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. And there's an AU where Peter manages to save her from the Goblin and reveals his identity to her, she immediatly forgave Peter and even agreed to marry him right there.

Edit: As for the question itself I'll just second what's been said, out of universe I think it'd simply have the same problems Peter/MJ had.
    Last edited by AmazingFantasy; 08-02-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
    Like every other silver age girlfriend (except maybe for Sue Storm) it would have either ended up in divorce, separation or death.

Mighty Member

I wonder what Gwen's personality would be like

I found this interesting

The Five Stages of Gwen

https://hellzyeahthewebwieldingaveng...stages-of-gwen