Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    It was a nice story although I hope that the method in which the two meet turns out to be something interesting. I mean for all intents and purposes it's time travel but I suspect that to square the circle with Alonso's words it wont strictly be time travel in the same way that what the Red Skull did to Captain America wasn't strictly brainwashing. I wonder if the heroes enter the same space that the alternate Steve Rogers is in Secret Empire and the "angel" takes the legacy heroes to meet the originals or it could be due Raz Malhotra's quasi time machine that we've seen in SE.

It was good to see the underlying theme of Totally Awesome Hulk start to become more prominent. I'm surprised that anyone thinks this was set up to male Amadeus look like the superior Hulk at the expense of Bruce Banner since it was Banner that made Amadeus acknowledge his own control issues and view the Hulk as being a bad thing. If the characters final narrative is to be taken seriously it also seems to set up a story in which Cho wants to relinquish being the Hulk presumably so Banner will be the only one and he can have a book which sells about the same but no one will make a big a big deal about that...because y'know.
    I like the suggestions "Generations" was in the "Angel" plane, or, due to the Raz Time Machine. Good work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Jen destroyed Vision in a rage, knocking Janet into a coma at the same time. Jen isn't totally in control of the Hulk. The only ones who were, was Gen Ross, and that other Red Hulk in USAvengers. But even General Ross was smacking Thor, the Watcher, and Silver a Surfer around. Anybody in fact that got near him.
    Actually a good case could be made of her innocence as it was presumed that Wanda was controlling her behaviour like she did with tony and the vision himself.Besides hank said later that the visions body was totally destroyed before she even picked him.she hulk putting wasp in a coma accidentally or due to Wanda's controlling her when she was rampaging is ironic when you consider the events of civil war 2 and it's consequences for she hulk.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 08-03-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    This story has strengthened the trope of hulk being the whale which is a chip or burden on shoulder that makes all the characters to come in contact with him to share banner being the primary person who is always trying to cure the hulk which is just a euphemism for trying to kill his hulk persona. First it was Ross who regarded him as his ahab and got turned into the hulk at the last having being consumed by the hulk. Then it was rick jenny sampson and Betty who had to share banners burden and carry the hulk on their shoulders like ahab did with Moby dick although they don't try to kill him of course but their lives are similarly consumed by the hulk, betty dying at abominations hands due to his rivalry with hulk, Sampson always trying to cure the hulk but only making the situation worse making curing the hulk the Moby dick he was always chasing.though rick always seems to be a Ishmael like character who through his spirit of adventure has linked his fate inadvertently with hulk like ishmael did with moby dick yet he also shares the responsibility of creation of hulk and like Ahab carries the guilt perpetually on his shoulder for banners fate for a long time.The latest Ahab who joined the cast was amaedus cho who at last was successfully in "nailing" the elusive hulk and mastering this uncontrollable beast who is a force of nature much like Moby dick was portrayed but this also is on the verge of being undone with him joining the kill the hulk band. Further strengthening the similiarites between hulk and Moby dick is the manner of death of both. MD was gutted by a harpoon a sharpened projectile weapon and the hulk was killed by of all the things under the blue sky a arrow fired into his head which is also a sharpened projectile weapon. guess deadpool was really onto something in deadpool killustrated.
    This might come across as a bit naive but I've never considered this way of looking at the Hulk.

It is interesting to think about. Thanks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WaxHawk View Post
    This might come across as a bit naive but I've never considered this way of looking at the Hulk.

It is interesting to think about. Thanks.
    Thank you for expressing your thoughts on the matter.

It was a steaming pile of turd. It did nothing at all except take $4.99 out of the pockets of Hulk fans...

While I don't blame the creative team (Pak is a good writer and Bufagani's art is normally good) but this story was a major disappointment. Mostly because it was exactly what marvel explicitly came out and said it would not be. When it was first announced everyone seemed to think that generations would be one off stories with no real impact and that wouldn't really matter. but then marvel came out and assured that would not be the case, which to me at the very least made me want to pick up the books. Instead we got a 4.99 book that used banner hulk to get people interested only to make it a story to show off how similar cho is to banner now and basically leave banner fans out of luck. Honestly this really seems like a lose-lose for hulk fans because banner appears to be gone and now cho, who mainly was interesting because he had a different approach to being the hulk is now just a retread of banner.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

BANNED

Never thought I would miss the Ultimate Universe but it would be the perfect place for Cho and many other legacy characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It was a steaming pile of turd. It did nothing at all except take $4.99 out of the pockets of Hulk fans...
    And of course we have to see how much smarter and stronger Cho is compared to Banner by constantly being reminded of it. Then to top off this huge pile of crap we have to see Banner eating food out of a trash can. It never ends....downplay the classic heroes and make them look inept and moronic while artificially boosting the new diverse heroes. Screw Marvel and their dumb books that just constantly crap all over the classic heroes in order to boost caricature heroes who haven't done a damn thing to earn such merit and prestige to be better or superior to the classic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Never thought I would miss the Ultimate Universe but it would be the perfect place for Cho and many other legacy characters.
    no-ho-ho, dont mess up the UU with this stuff, too.

Create a new "diversity universe" and dump all these people that. Like that DC universe where Supes and a bunch of other people are black.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    And of course we have to see how much smarter and stronger Cho is compared to Banner by constantly being reminded of it. Then to top off this huge pile of crap we have to see Banner eating food out of a trash can. It never ends....downplay the classic heroes and make them look inept and moronic while artificially boosting the new diverse heroes. Screw Marvel and their dumb books that just constantly crap all over the classic heroes in order to boost caricature heroes who haven't done a damn thing to earn such merit and prestige to be better or superior to the classic ones.
    This issue did not make Cho out to be stronger than Banner. At the very least they were shown to be evenly matched but Banner seemed stronger, exhausting Cho in their first fight together to the point where Cho begs off continuing it. And Banner Hulk handily puts down the rampaging Cho Hulk at the climax. And showing Banner eating out of a trash can...it's established that Banner often had to scrounge for food and clothing during the times when he was on the run. It doesn't make Banner look dumb to reference it - it's part of his history. Should all old issues with Banner sleeping in alleys like a bum be destroyed for fear that it might make him look bad?

And ultimately, this issue showed Cho that he isn't as smart or as on top of things as he thinks. Hulk/Banner sees through Cho and chides him for being delusional about how much control he thinks he has over the Hulk. As Banner Hulk says:

"You think you're so great. Coming in here, getting Banner all excited. Talkin' like you got it all figured out. But deep down you know the truth. You got a monster in the trunk, don'tcha? Sometimes he climbs into the back seat. Sometimes he even grabs the wheel."

This is not a Cho's great/Banner's crap story in ANY way. If anything, meeting Banner took Cho down a peg or two in that he's going to have to come to terms with the fact that being Hulk isn't the consequence-free joy ride that he's been wanting to tell himself it is. He can't continue to pretend "everything's cool" like he has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This issue did not make Cho out to be stronger than Banner. At the very least they were shown to be evenly matched but Banner seemed stronger, exhausting Cho in their first fight together to the point where Cho begs off continuing it. And Banner Hulk handily puts down the rampaging Cho Hulk at the climax. And showing Banner eating out of a trash can...it's established that Banner often had to scrounge for food and clothing during the times when he was on the run. It doesn't make Banner look dumb to reference it - it's part of his history. Should all old issues with Banner sleeping in alleys like a bum be destroyed for fear that it might make him look bad?

And ultimately, this issue showed Cho that he isn't as smart or as on top of things as he thinks. Hulk/Banner sees through Cho and chides him for being delusional about how much control he thinks he has over the Hulk. As Banner Hulk says:

"You think you're so great. Coming in here, getting Banner all excited. Talkin' like you got it all figured out. But deep down you know the truth. You got a monster in the trunk, don'tcha? Sometimes he climbs into the back seat. Sometimes he even grabs the wheel."

This is not a Cho's great/Banner's crap story in ANY way. If anything, meeting Banner took Cho down a peg or two in that he's going to have to come to terms with the fact that being Hulk isn't the consequence-free joy ride that he's been wanting to tell himself it is. He can't continue to pretend "everything's cool" like he has been.

I agree totally with this analysis, but what I don't know, because I am not reading TA Hulk, is how much this reflects the current book. Has the theme of overconfidence been explored already? Are there any hints that these issues are slowly emerging, or is this a turning point.

I would like to think this is a continuation. That the point of Generations is to help point out to those that do not read deeply and critically, that many of the themes in the current books are actually tied into long term continuity, and exploring themes from the past. I would be disappointed if they are actually pivoting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I agree totally with this analysis, but what I don't know, because I am not reading TA Hulk, is how much this reflects the current book. Has the theme of overconfidence been explored already? Are there any hints that these issues are slowly emerging, or is this a turning point.

I would like to think this is a continuation. That the point of Generations is to help point out to those that do not read deeply and critically, that many of the themes in the current books are actually tied into long term continuity, and exploring themes from the past. I would be disappointed if they are actually pivoting.
    Cho's overconfidence and his denial about his ability to control his anger is definitely a theme of TAH - at least in the issues I've read.

Pak has shown that Cho is not as in control of his Hulk side as he wants to believe and that his cockiness in that regard is likely to blow up in his face eventually so this definitely carries over themes from his book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

Exactly, to be honest the only thing this book REALLY showed, is that most classic fans and legacy fans won't be able to get along cause unless the classic character is front and center and dominating everything with the legacy character being a tertiary side kick, they will complain. To be honest, that's exactly why I'm creating my own forums, just for fans who actually enjoy legacy diverse characters who doesn't have to worry about threads being ruined like these.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Exactly, to be honest the only thing this book REALLY showed, is that most classic fans and legacy fans won't be able to get along cause unless the classic character is front and center and dominating everything with the legacy character being a tertiary side kick, they will complain. To be honest, that's exactly why I'm creating my own forums, just for fans who actually enjoy legacy diverse characters who doesn't have to worry about threads being ruined like these.
    No...we are asking for balance and to see these new diversity heroes actually earn their status as a hero instead of being fake caricatures of the originals who we should all just bow down and accept as superior and fantastic when they have done absolutely nothing to deserve to be held in the same league as the originals who have earned our respect and admiration by proving themselves over and over again. I don't want to be told these diversity heroes are great...show me that they are great!!! And stop having these new diversity heroes saying how much smarter they are then the originals...show us that they are smarter!!! Marvel thinks they can just take the new characters and wrap them up in the old skins of the original heroes and that it will create instant success and acceptance by the fandom...it's just Marvel being cheap and lazy and thinking we will accept anything they publish as being great! Those who work for Marvel have allowed their own egos and self importance to get in the way of their own success...they deserve to be knocked down a peg or two and come back down to earth and start respecting the thoughts and opinions of the fans like DC has done with Rebirth.

They need to brink back the Hulk and let him star in his own book. The idea that the Hulk is something that could be passed on to someone else is ridiculous, its not a cowl, or a cape, there is not mantle, no bat-cave, no power armor, no title, no hammer, none of that. The Hulk is the manifestation of the abuse and trauma Bruce suffered as a child while being brutally beaten by his father and watching said father kill his mother before his eyes, you can't just pass that on like its a football.