View Poll Results: Poll II: Who were your favorite Justice Society members after the Golden Age?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman (Clark Kent / Kal-L)

26 26.80%
  • Batman (Bruce Wayne)

16 16.49%
  • Red Tornado (Ma Hunkel) #1

11 11.34%
  • Wildcat (Ted Grant)

55 56.70%
  • Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane)

19 19.59%
  • Robin (Dick Grayson)

31 31.96%
  • Red Tornado (later named "John Smith) #2

14 14.43%
  • Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pemberton)

24 24.74%
  • Power Girl (Karen Starr / Kara Zor-L)

59 60.82%
  • Huntress (Helena Wayne)

45 46.39%
  • Miss America (Joan Dale / later Joan Dale Trevor; 1st retconned replacement for Wonder Woman)

7 7.22%
  • Hawkgirl (Shiera Sanders Hall)

38 39.18%
  • Hippolyta (2nd retconned replacement for Wonder Woman)

22 22.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Don't apologize.

Next time, just read at least the original post to see what someone wants to set up a discussion about, then you can add your own post based on that information.
    There are limits on how long a thread's title can be, so the thread's creator may not be able to spell out everything in the title.
    Nah...I read it...I posted my favorites...Sorry they were not on the team in 1999...I didn't check.

Though according to the Poll, I was in the limits of the Poll, just not the subject.

Poll: Poll II: Who were your favorite Justice Society members after the Golden Age?
    Last edited by krazijoe; 08-08-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Nah...I read it...I posted my favorites...Sorry they were not on the team in 1999...I didn't check.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Though according to the Poll, I was in the limits of the Poll, just not the subject.
    The poll titles have a limitation of the numbers of letters/characters that can be used as well. I unfortunately can't spell out EVERYTHING in the poll title, so using that as your reason (but without reading the poll options) is a bit... much.

As I mentioned, DC back then didn't really seem to have a lot of love for the Golden Age heroes and their adventures.
    They tried to write-off / eliminate the original JSA right after CoIE, and when those heroes were brought back a few years later, they were given a series that DC pulled the plug on after less than 12 issues, only to try and kill most of them off with Zero Hour.

Replacing the original Golden Age / Earth-2 Wonder Woman didn't seem like a priority for management. Roy Thomas first planned to use the newly-introduced "Golden Age" Fury as her replacement, including making her the retconned mother of the Lyta Trevor-Fury in Infinity Inc. But the only time I'm aware of a reference to her replacing Golden Age Wonder Woman as a JSA member was in a poster for a proposed JSA movie in an issue of Infinity Inc.

After that, Roy went with making Miss America the replacement for Wonder Woman in the retconned JSA, but then let Miss America marry a Derek Trevor and they became the adoptive parents for Lyta Trevor.

I'm not sure how many other writers would have been interested in writing a JSA story set in the 1940s using Miss America instead of the Golden Age Wonder Woman back then, nor how likely it would be for DC's editors then to give it approval.

Eventually, when John Byrne took over the Wonder Woman title (and when Lyta Trevor was no longer around in stories), Hippolyta wound up going back in time to become the retconned Golden Age Wonder Woman.
    I knew all of that, but thanks for summarizing it so well for those who don't! Untapped story potential there at the time, but as you say, no one but Roy was interested in it, and I think he only did it reluctantly and most everyone had probably forgotten about it, and now it's moot.

Speaking of Fury I, I really enjoyed the Young All Stars characters, her chief among them. Most of them showed up in later stories down the line, which I always enjoyed. Flying Fox is the only one who I don't think was ever used again, which is a pity. But in some sense those characters were always doomed too.

At the moment, Power Girl (Karen Starr / Kara Zor-L) is the clear poll leader, with Huntress (Helena Wayne) following in second.
    Others receiving a good number of votes so far include:
    Wildcat (Ted Grant)
    Hawkgirl (Shiera Sanders Hall)
    Hippolyta (2nd retconned replacement for Wonder Woman)
    Superman (Clark Kent / Kal-L)
    Robin (Dick Grayson)

A more recent check of the poll results shows:
    * Power Girl (Karen Starr / Kara Zor-L) = 26 votes
    * Huntress (Helena Wayne) = 21 votes
    * Wildcat (Ted Grant) = 19 votes
    * Hawkgirl (Shiera Sanders Hall) = 17 votes
    * Hippolyta (2nd retconned replacement for Wonder Woman) = 12 votes

All others on this poll received 11 votes or less.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Batman
    Robin
    Huntress
    Star Spangled Kid
    Wildcat
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

In a little over 24 hours since bumping up this poll, the latest results shows:
    * Power Girl (Karen Starr / Kara Zor-L) = 28 votes (+ 2)
    * Huntress (Helena Wayne) = 24 votes (+ 3)
    * Wildcat (Ted Grant) = 23 votes (+ 4)
    * Hawkgirl (Shiera Sanders Hall) = 17 votes (stayed the same)
    * Robin (Dick Grayson) = 14 votes (jumps ahead of Hippolyta!)
    * Hippolyta = 13 votes (+1)

I voted for:

Wildcat
    Robin
    Power Girl
    Huntress
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Wildcat
    Star-Spangled Kid
    Power Girl

Favorite villain would be Psycho Pirate.

Retired

This was the hardest one to pick, because there are several I like on here. But I dedided to go with grown-up Robin, because he best represents this middle period for the JSA. Although, I liked his earlier appearances better, because he was drawn to look the right age. I know some hate the costumes he had at that time, but they were better than the one he ended up with, I thought. And the later appearances made him look too young--unless he had been in a Lazarus Pit (which is possible). But mostly I get a good feeling about him in the JSA. Others like Power Girl, Superman, Huntress were good on their own and not real team players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    This was the hardest one to pick, because there are several I like on here. But I dedided to go with grown-up Robin, because he best represents this middle period for the JSA.
    You did realize you could have voted for more than one character, didn't you?

Retired

You did realize you could have voted for more than one character, didn't you?
    See the other threads.

Retired

I can see why you put Hippolyta here--because she was retconned into the past--but really I think of her as being part of the JSA run in the late '90s/early '00s. I liked her a lot in those stories, but she wasn't allowed to stick around for long--and even got killed off for all her pains.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I can see why you put Hippolyta here--because she was retconned into the past--but really I think of her as being part of the JSA run in the late '90s/early '00s. I liked her a lot in those stories, but she wasn't allowed to stick around for long--and even got killed off for all her pains.
    Since her retcon happened prior to the start of the 1999 on-going JSA series, I just decided to include her with other pre-1999 additions.
    (And for me, the 1999 series is more like the start of the 21st century version of the Justice Society.)

Almost two weeks later and the current results are now:
    * Power Girl (Karen Starr / Kara Zor-L) = 34 votes (+ 6)
    * Wildcat (Ted Grant) = 31 votes (+ 8)
    * Huntress (Helena Wayne) = 28 votes (+ 4)
    * Hawkgirl (Shiera Sanders Hall) = 20 votes (+ 3)
    * Robin (Dick Grayson) = 18 votes (+ 4)
    * Superman (Clark Kent / Kal-L) = 14 votes (jumps ahead of Hippolyta!)
    * Hippolyta = 13 votes (no change)
    * Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pemberton) = 12 votes