THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Award for best Superman goes to....Green Arrow #28 (spoilers)

Seriously, Superman's guest spot is so simple yet so perfect in Green Arrow issue #26. He's actually silent through most of the issue, and he's staying true to the namesake of the comic that ushered him into life. Dude is a man of action. And when he does speak? It's that beautiful unironic optimism that calls back to the likes of Millar's Superman Adventures (easily one of the best runs of a Superman comic. Period.) It's picture perfect.

At the very end when Green Arrow calls him "America's dad" (in his snarky way) you don't get mad at it. The whole issue was spent earning that moment in the most sincere and loving way possible, and it was done through Superman's actions rather than some speech.

And can we just take a second and gush over how amazing Ferreyra's art is?! The city, Superman, Lex, Arrow, it all look sunkissed and breathtaking. His command of Superman in motion and while static are pitch perfect. Mr. Ferreyra, if you EVER want to draw more Superman comic, please know that you have my full and complete endorsement!

This also happens to be one of my favorite Lex showing of all of Rebirth (up there with Yang in New Super-Man and Williams from SS).

Benjamin Percy and Juan Ferreyra, damn fine job. Please give this issue a shot.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Seriously, Superman's guest spot is so simple yet so perfect in Green Arrow issue #26. He's actually silent through most of the issue, and he's staying true to the namesake of the comic that ushered him into life. Dude is a man of action. And when he does speak? It's that beautiful unironic optimism that calls back to the likes of Millar's Superman Adventures (easily one of the best runs of a Superman comic. Period.) It's picture perfect.

At the very end when Green Arrow calls him "America's dad" (in his snarky way) you don't get mad at it. The whole issue was spent earning that moment in the most sincere and loving way possible, and it was done through Superman's actions rather than some speech.

And can we just take a second and gush over how amazing Ferreyra's art is?! The city, Superman, Lex, Arrow, it all look sunkissed and breathtaking. His command of Superman in motion and while static are pitch perfect. Mr. Ferreyra, if you EVER want to draw more Superman comic, please know that you have my full and complete endorsement!

This also happens to be one of my favorite Lex showing of all of Rebirth (up there with Yang in New Super-Man and Williams from SS).

Sounds like he was making fun of Clark for resembling Stan Smith.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Sounds like he was making fun of Clark for resembling Stan Smith.
    Nah. It's likely because just before that comment Superman says "I'm proud of you" in a pretty paternal sort of way, and the whole issue was an illustration of Superman being a caretaker for everyone.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I haven't read the issue but I will say that the 3 or so panels of Clark bumbling through knocking that would be mugger out (at the bottom of the preview) is more fun and exciting than anything the Superman books have presented since the very early issues of Greg Pak's AC.

I'll pick this up this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Yes on all counts. That was freaking awesome. Both of them would be great for a Super-title.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Love the Mike Grell variant cover! His first Rebirth Superman, if I'm not mistaken!
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member

I'm not a Green Arrow reader but I gave this issue a shot thanks to all the samples and previews Jon11 posted and brought to my attention. I'm so glad I gave it a chance because Superman and Lex were wonderful in it. Not to mention the artwork was spectacular. Juan Ferreyra also did a fine job with the coloring. I loved that warm golden glow the city of Metropolis was given. Like it was powered by the sun like it's hero.

The brief, small panels with Clark multi-tasking good deeds was an absolute joy. It was a reminder for me of why I love Superman and sequential art and storytelling. What a contrast between him and Lex. While Clark walks among the people, Lex is high above surveying Metropolis and its specks below. While Lex is trying to be a hero, he doesn't have that empathy for the common man. I like how Ollie was used to show that. Superman's words of encouragement to Ollie were nice to hear. Who wouldn't like getting the seal of approval from America's dad.

I've seen a couple panels online, and I dig the art. I always love it when colorists give Lex red eyebrows. They add so much character to his face. And I think that's an understated quality to give Lex because of all the bald characters out there these days and how they can all look so similar.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I haven't read the issue but I will say that the 3 or so panels of Clark bumbling through knocking that would be mugger out (at the bottom of the preview) is more fun and exciting than anything the Superman books have presented since the very early issues of Greg Pak's AC.

I'll pick this up this week.
    Disagree. Lol

I can't let you trash Tomasi and Gleasons amazing work