Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Man...I was cautiously optimistic about The Dark Tower.

The movie comes out on Friday and not a single review is out.

That usually means one thing: the movie is awful. When the release date is about 2 days away and Rotten Tomatoes does not have a single critics review, the track record has not been good.

I heard that all kinds of plans would stem from this movie, like a TV show and maybe even some movie sequels. I love westerns and this one is even more compelling due to the supernatural elements infused into the western genre. Great actors like Elba and Matthew McConaughey being in this movie felt like it had a chance to be really good.

Ah well.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

The embargo is up, and, well, the reviews aren't promising, even the positive ones aren't exactly glowing.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The movie being in August is a red flag for me. It's a month where studios put summer movies they have no faith in.

I am a Dark Tower fan (not just the comics) and for me the big letdown is that the characters DO NOT look like their book counterparts. I know Stephen King said: "take this movie as an alternate universe of the Dark Tower". It logical since the tower leads to many worlds (or dimensions). So it like the books are earth 1 and the movie is earth 349281. But this also comes from the same man (King) that once said: "I don't like the movies or tv series of my books. But I allow them because it means money in licensing".
    I will see it. But just out of curiosity. I mean not even the man in black looks like the man in black. I still don't even know where the movie is supposed to be taken place according to the books/comics.
    Hopefully the IT remake will not be that bad. (or chanced from the original source materoial)

reviews don't mean a lot iv seen a lot of good movies that have a ton of bad reviews and vice versa.

Incredible Member

I keep reading about how the Dark Tower movie sucks, and it makes me wonder whether Tom Rothman is the real Randall Flagg. That guy ruined so many potentially good movies.

With these two actors i have a feeling im gonna enjoy the movie. Even if the storytelling is subpar i bet the two leads are entertaining to watch

Going to see it tonight. Loved the books, but the first movie being only an hour and a half and seems to cram a lot of stuff into it thinking it is going to be a jumbled up mess,

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    The movie comes out on Friday and not a single review is out.

That usually means one thing: the movie is awful. When the release date is about 2 days away and Rotten Tomatoes does not have a single critics review, the track record has not been good.

I heard that all kinds of plans would stem from this movie, like a TV show and maybe even some movie sequels. I love westerns and this one is even more compelling due to the supernatural elements infused into the western genre. Great actors like Elba and Matthew McConaughey being in this movie felt like it had a chance to be really good.

Ah well.
    Worst fears confirmed. It is at 18% with 28 reviews so far.

As soon I saw the first trailer knew the movie would be horrible. Bringing him into New York so early was horrible idea, should have been an actual adaption of the first book instead of forcing it out of mid-world. The first book is perfect to adapt into one movie, not that big enough action in it so it does not drag. Plus gives a great view of the fact that mid-world is dying. Oh well it will make no money and we will not be subjected to other crappy adaptions. Now the director can move on and ruin any chances of a Fables movie series unless WB is smart enough to fire him before it gets going. I really do not get how these movie studios have not learned if you are adapting something people will hate it if you venture to far from the source material. Just look at Marvel movies you can tweak things, but you gotta keep the core of the characters if you want people to be invested.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    As soon I saw the first trailer knew the movie would be horrible. Bringing him into New York so early was horrible idea, should have been an actual adaption of the first book instead of forcing it out of mid-world. The first book is perfect to adapt into one movie, not that big enough action in it so it does not drag. Plus gives a great view of the fact that mid-world is dying. Oh well it will make no money and we will not be subjected to other crappy adaptions. Now the director can move on and ruin any chances of a Fables movie series unless WB is smart enough to fire him before it gets going. I really do not get how these movie studios have not learned if you are adapting something people will hate it if you venture to far from the source material. Just look at Marvel movies you can tweak things, but you gotta keep the core of the characters if you want people to be invested.
    Except most people have no idea what the source material is. But comics for example have had a long time to tweak these characters. Figure out what works and what doesnt. So you should probaly follow them a bit more. They layed the ground work for you.

From what I've heard it falls into the trap of a lot of multi big book adaptations of trying to cram way to much material into a single movie and making a disaster of pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    From what I've heard it falls into the trap of a lot of multi big book adaptations of trying to cram way to much material into a single movie and making a disaster of pacing.
    Yeah that is what I am hearing also find out in a few hours. I hear he is awesome as Roland at least, they should have followed the books that first book is great intro nice and simple some backstory some getting to know Roland and plenty of killing. The hour and a half run time is weird at least do 2 hours.

Edit: I have only read the original version of the first book, did they add a lot when he redid it to fit the rest of the series better or was it minor tweaks?

Was surprised it was a solid movie, would not say it is a sequel or adaption it is more of a remix. Lots of Dark Tower ideas that are twisted to fit this story. Very similar and different at the same time. If you do not have an idea of the movie, characters, or concepts I can see it being very confusing. We get ideas from most of the books and they are blended together. Was rather enjoyable not big on the ending, but Roland was well done. It is very focused on Jake especially early on, but he has a completely updated and different back story, but lots of things not explained that would leave no fans kinda wondering what the hell is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Was surprised it was a solid movie, would not say it is a sequel or adaption it is more of a remix. Lots of Dark Tower ideas that are twisted to fit this story. Very similar and different at the same time. If you do not have an idea of the movie, characters, or concepts I can see it being very confusing. We get ideas from most of the books and they are blended together. Was rather enjoyable not big on the ending, but Roland was well done. It is very focused on Jake especially early on, but he has a completely updated and different back story, but lots of things not explained that would leave no fans kinda wondering what the hell is going on.
    so why did you jump the gun and say you new the movie would be horrible be for you saw it? im just Curious.