Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    so why did you jump the gun and say you new the movie would be horrible be for you saw it? im just Curious.
    Well the trailer looks bad still does even with context much better scenes to choose in the movie to tease. Overall I get why the reviews are bad, but it is like a Stephen King easter egg fest. They pulled ideas from most of the book and a bit of semi side stories, then within the movie itself you have a lot of Stephen King related stuff popping up. However the movie introduces a ton of things that never really get explained. could have used much more back story on Roland. Also very disappointing ending and a few things about Roland that I was not a fan of, but Elba was good.

Edit: Also the late reshoots is usually never a good sign for a movie one of the reason I expected it to be bad. You hear they see a cut it so bad you got to refilm not good. Going in with low expectations probably helped, but it is looking to flop hard so we will not be seeing more anytime soon if that happens.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 08-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.

BANNED

Absolutely dreadful movie; a complete disgrace to DT fans. Something that is theoretically Stephen King's magnum opus, which is meant to encapsulate and bring together almost all of his works into one shared universe/multiverse, has been reduced to a painfully average YA shitshow with two incredible leads that are turned into side characters for a boring little child and therefore not utilized well at all. The script is awful, the CGI is awful, and nothing about it is true to the novels for me. As someone who adores Dark Tower with every bone in my body I was so disappointed. I've been vacationing in Greece and took time away from sight-seeing to see this film just because of how much the series means to me and I honestly feel like slapping myself for wasting money on this crap.

If you're looking for a random movie to watch this month go catch a weekday matinee. If you're a fan of the books even remotely, PLEASE avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Absolutely dreadful movie; a complete disgrace to DT fans. Something that is theoretically Stephen King's magnum opus, which is meant to encapsulate and bring together almost all of his works into one shared universe/multiverse, has been reduced to a painfully average YA shitshow with two incredible leads that are turned into side characters for a boring little child and therefore not utilized well at all. The script is awful, the CGI is awful, and nothing about it is true to the novels for me. As someone who adores Dark Tower with every bone in my body I was so disappointed. I've been vacationing in Greece and took time away from sight-seeing to see this film just because of how much the series means to me and I honestly feel like slapping myself for wasting money on this crap.

If you're looking for a random movie to watch this month go catch a weekday matinee. If you're a fan of the books even remotely, PLEASE avoid it.
    This is how I expected my review to be, a younger me would have felt this way. I gave up on the hope of faithful adaptions a long time ago. Generally go in thinking it will suck and come out focused on the positives, but it has its issues and not to upset it looks like it will bomb. Maybe in 10 or 15 years it will get another shot and hopefully does not go the way of the Dune movie and kill the franchise for 30 years.

BANNED

I need to see some reviews from people unfamiliar with the books to decide to see it or not.

The name Akiva Goldsman is reason enough to lower my expectations. I enjoyed what I've seen of movies he wrote or had a hand in writing, but he did not recreate A Beautiful Mind.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The movie being in August is a red flag for me. It's a month where studios put summer movies they have no faith in.

Well, the beginning of August doesn't quite seem to be the dumping grounds it was even just two years ago, this probably has to do with the summer movie season basically starting in February last year, but yeah, that's still kind of true. Would say it's more a mid-August thing now.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I need to see some reviews from people unfamiliar with the books to decide to see it or not.
    My favourite film critic gave it a pretty unfavourable review and she's stated that she never got into the Dark Tower series because "it's too nerdy even for her". So she is vaguely aware of the Dark Tower series but not a hardcore fan. Her review seems pretty concise and details the problems that most people have with the movie.

http://www.laineygossip.com/the-dark...onaughey/47594

I've been watching Preacher.

This can't be any worse than that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    My favourite film critic gave it a pretty unfavourable review and she's stated that she never got into the Dark Tower series because "it's too nerdy even for her". So she is vaguely aware of the Dark Tower series but not a hardcore fan. Her review seems pretty concise and details the problems that most people have with the movie.

http://www.laineygossip.com/the-dark...onaughey/47594
    This is one of the more balanced reviews I've read but still off point. Jake is a psychic anchored between both worlds and can see into mid world and the people there for who they really are.He can also resist the Man in Black these are the things that make him special also Roland and Jake bond because they both are fighting the Man in Black and have both lost people they loved to him. These are themes repeated throughout the movie and anybody who saw the movie should be able to get this -especially someone who considers themselves a critic.

But more and more I see this problem with movie critics who can't follow simple plot points and can't get the idea of character development through action and visual storytelling not a whole bunch of dialogue. She also said the action scenes were bad also incorrect-the finale was pretty good. Nothing we haven't seen before but still unintelligble?NO. Honestly I think people who don't understand genre movies should just avoid them.

The movie was a pretty solid first entry. It could have been better yes and they probably repeated the gunslinger's mantra waay too much. But still people should see movies if they want to not based on what any movie critic thinks. Most of them are inept at reading movies and seem to not even enjoy their job.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 08-05-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Idris Elba is drawing me to this movie. It would have to be just completely awful for me not to like it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Idris Elba is drawing me to this movie. It would have to be just completely awful for me not to like it.
    Man it's not even worth it, Roland isn't the main character like in the books. Doesn't even show up until about 30-45min in.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Man it's not even worth it, Roland isn't the main character like in the books. Doesn't even show up until about 30-45min in.
    I do not know if it was that long, but Jake is the main character of the film.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    This is one of the more balanced reviews I've read but still off point. Jake is a psychic anchored between both worlds and can see into mid world and the people there for who they really are.He can also resist the Man in Black these are the things that make him special also Roland and Jake bond because they both are fighting the Man in Black and have both lost people they loved to him. These are themes repeated throughout the movie and anybody who saw the movie should be able to get this -especially someone who considers themselves a critic.

But more and more I see this problem with movie critics who can't follow simple plot points and can't get the idea of character development through action and visual storytelling not a whole bunch of dialogue. She also said the action scenes were bad also incorrect-the finale was pretty good. Nothing we haven't seen before but still unintelligble?NO. Honestly I think people who don't understand genre movies should just avoid them.

The movie was a pretty solid first entry. It could have been better yes and they probably repeated the gunslinger's mantra waay too much. But still people should see movies if they want to not based on what any movie critic thinks. Most of them are inept at reading movies and seem to not even enjoy their job.
    Yeah, this.

I've never read the book. But regardless of that, I greatly enjoyed this movie, had no trouble following the plot and thought the action was pretty damn good. Wish they'd done the trick shots earlier, but nothing's perfect

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, this.

I've never read the book. But regardless of that, I greatly enjoyed this movie, had no trouble following the plot and thought the action was pretty damn good. Wish they'd done the trick shots earlier, but nothing's perfect
    Yeah man the trick shots were definitely on point and the boss fight played out like a game of chess really good. Sometimes I think these critics are just determined to not like certain movies and miss things, either that or they're just flat out dumb-either way they're no authority on anything.

I liked it a lot. And let me say I'm a huge fan of the books.

They took a lot of the concepts from throughout the whole series and brought them into this one movie. It explains some of the concepts, but leaves others pretty vague. Kind of like how the first book only vaguely defines the world the Gunslinger inhabits. To me, there are many hints that they hope to continue the series, which would allow them to expand on the concepts and get to other elements of the story.

The movie focuses on Jake a lot, but that's not really a bad thing. It helps to have a sympathetic character, and Roland is not necessarily sympathetic. He's mysterious amd stoic. Idris Elba played the role very well.

A straight adaptation of the first book would not have worked as a film. So they established more of a plot than the first book had. To do so, they didn't make one up...they ised elements from later in the books to create it. You get things like Breakers, Sombra Corporation, Richard Sayer and the Taheen, and the Dixie Pig...all integral parts of the books.

I think it's a shame that the reviews and peoples' opinions are so focused on factors such as reshoots and release date and so on, rather than the story and the performances in the film. And book fans need to relax. My god, you'd think that the movie somehow came through a portal from anothwr world, took their books from the shelves, and burned them. But no...there they are, safe for anyone to revisit anytime they'd like to.

All in all, the movie was solid and enjoyable. It left hints at much more story and I hope we'll get another installment.