View Poll Results: Which Stories did you like?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wonder Woman: The True Amazon by Jill Thompson

4 8.89%
  • The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae de Liz

21 46.67%
  • Wonder Woman: Earth One by Grant Morrison

15 33.33%
  • Wonder Woman: Rebirth by Greg Rucka

26 57.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ranking the Four Recent Wonder Woman Origin Stories

So after being spurred by Jill Tompson's Eisner award for Wonder Woman: The True Amazon too read it, I quickly read The Legend of Wonder Woman as well, completing all four of the recent origin stories. I'm not sure if their has been a thread discussing these stories as a group, but why not right? So I just wanted to write my thoughts down on these pieces and was curious as too what others thought about them as well.

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon - I think a lot of people are going to write this one off because WW is essentially a villain. However it actually bares a close resemblance to a story John Byrne told in an annual, where as a child, Wonder Woman accidentally causes the death of a fellow amazon, which that and more happens in this. So her origin is ultimately a tragedy and this, unlike returning Steve Trevor to her home, is what incites Wonder Woman on her heroic career. A lot of traits of the character that are traditionally displayed positively, her competitiveness, lust for adventure and being the sole child of an entire civilization, here are seen in a negative light. Verdict: Great

The Legend of Wonder Woman - For the first block of this work, set on the island, I was enjoying it quite a bit. It reminded me of Moana actually, as a poison from across the sea was infiltrating the island. However when the story leaves for Man's World, set in 1944, I began to lose interest. The pacing wasn't too great, I don't really care for WWII centric stories (they were always the worst parts of Marston's work) and also because I read DC's Bombshells and they both have nazi zombies. Verdict: Okay

Wonder Woman: Earth 1 - Of the four, Marston's long awaited Wonder Woman: Earth 1 is undoubtedly the most complicated narrative wise. This is another story that sets Wonder Woman in a somewhat negative light, but also gives Hippolyta a bad report as well. Wonder Woman is bored with Amazon society and desires to explore the wider world, receiving that opportunity when Steve Trevor arrives by plane on the island. This is at odds with Hippolyta's own machinations for her daughter and she would spare no favour in retrieving her daughter back, even as a criminal. Verdict: Great

Wonder Woman: Rebirth - Greg Rucka's long awaited origin story is of the four, the most 'by the book.' It doesn't veer off too far from the model George Perez set down almost 40 years ago, though this does make it probably the best book for new readers (though the rest of the run is, in my opinion, not new reader friendly). However when compared to other titles on the list I think it does lack its own identity, but I don't think that was ever the point. Interestingly though, because this is the only book sold in a monthly format, it is probably the best paced. For some reason graphic novels eschew chapters and I do think this 'damages' the product (there are no stops to collect ones thoughts, it encourages reading the whole novel in one sitting). Verdict: Okay
    Last edited by Pinsir; 08-03-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

I'll refrain from voting on stuff I havent actually read, though I will comment with my impressions of them:

Unreads:
    True Amazon: Tbh it doesn't sound great in my ears, because it sounds like Diana is made much more selfish and reckless, and because it changes her motivation to do good to being about guilt, which I think we get enough from Batman. (Rank: Meh)
    Legend: To be honest I haven't got a clue how it plays out...
    Bombshells: I dont know if she even has one here?

Reads:
    Earth-1: I don't mind this origins so much, but I am just not a fan of Diana being the child of Hercules raping Hippolyta. The other aspects are all fine and traditional with overprotective Hippolyta, adventurous Diana who gets shocked by Man's World. (Rank: Ok)
    New 52: This is more down to me liking how it simplified and origins I always though was far too complicated for it's own good. She's the daughter of Zeus and she leaves because of personal curiosity and sense of adventure, thats all great. (Rank: Great)
    Rebirth: Changes nothing from the mechanics of the New 52. What it does do is change the world in which it takes place. For which I rank it down for it's lack of originality within the Wonder-verse. (Rank: Ok)
    Flashpoint: Has the right ingredients in large parts, but the outcome is just terrible for very stupid reasons. (Rank: bah!)

Astonishing Member

1) Rebirth / Year One - Sure, it's mostly just a retelling, but, it does it so well. Scott hit a homerun on art. I really love the loving moments between mother and daughter. Wonderful.

2) Earth One - Another homerun in the art department. And I particularly like the world and tech of the Amazons. Didn't much care for the father-drama. Very good.

3) Legend of WW - I agree that the beginning is the best part, it drags in the middle. Etta is good fun. And the zombie army is creepy. Very good.

4) The True Amazon - Enjoy the art (hmm, there's a pattern here ), but I agree with Outside, it changes Diana's motives too much. The tiara as your crown of thorns? No thanks. Mixed.

None of these are my perfect origin story, nor is the movie. But, each have some good things to enjoy.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I would have voted for Rucka's Year One but now that we know that the stain of Azzarello known as the Zeus-daddy origin is still part of Diana's back story, that diminishes the current Wonder Woman for me a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love that Rucka cleaned up the Amazons and established Diana's relationships with Steve, Etta, Cheetah, Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber, and Veronica Cale but the Zeus-daddy origin still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In light of all of this, I voted for Rene De Liz's amazing The Legend of Wonder Woman. She nailed Diana's heart and spirit perfectly and I LOVED her version of Etta Candy and really liked her revamp of the Duke of Deception.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 08-03-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Wonder Woman's 'Rebirth' has been the greatest world-building, rogues-building run, since Roy Thomas wrote WW, in the 70s.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

In order for me:

Wonder Woman: Year One - This is the classic Wonder Woman origin modernized, so of course it tops my list. Diana once again comes from a place of love. Some (but not all, sadly) of the classic Amazons are back. And Steve is once again a young, handsome pilot and Diana's main love interest. Also, Nicola Scott art. 'Nuff said. Verdict: Great.

The Legend of Wonder Woman - This is only slightly behind Year One, because it once again utilizes the classic Marston origin with modern storytelling. The art is beautiful, though I wasn't extraordinarily fond of a more sullen take on Diana. De Liz's portrayal of Etta Candy absolutely stole the show, though. The best depiction of the character since the 40's. Plus, I dug young Steve, I dug the new take on the Duke of Deception, and I dug the Holliday Girls/Priscilla Rich/the other classic elements used. Verdict: Great.

Wonder Woman: Earth One - I didn't love this one the first time reading it. I guess I expected more from Morrison. Upon more recent read-throughs, I've grown to like it a lot more than I initially did. Of course the art was fantastic. There were aspects, however, I didn't really get. Making Steve Trevor black seemed a bit pointless other than the shackles scene, and changing Etta's name to Beth was pretty redundant. But it was a fun ride nonetheless, and I'm excited for the sequel. Verdict: Good.

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon - I hate to be one of those and say "This isn't my Diana!" but that is exactly how I felt when reading it. Diana was completely unlike herself here, and the climax where she let loose heaps of monsters to get a win in was just... horrific. I don't think Diana should be portrayed as perfect, but this version of her was so far beyond imperfect that it didn't even resemble the woman that she would grow up to be. I like the art, but Jill Thompson's art feels like it was much better suited for the 80's and 90's Wonder Woman rather than the modern era. I've honestly only read this book once and I don't plan to read it again in the near future. Verdict: Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I would have voted for Rucka's Year One but now that we know that the stain of Azzarello known as the Zeus-daddy origin is still part of Diana's back story, that dimities the current Wonder Woman for me a bit.
    Where does Rucka's Rebirth run confirm that the Azzarello change is still definitely part of her back story? Can you name which issue number that was in?
    As far as I could tell, Rucka ducked the issue and didn't either confirm it nor deny it. He just sort of passed it over without saying if that was "Truth" or part of the "Lies" (which was a bit annoying as far as I was concerned).

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Legend is by far the best of these four with Rebirth being the only other one to come close. I'm one of the apparent few in the world who are not fans of Morrison at all. Likewise I haven't read True Amazon as I've not read any review that has encouraged me to do so.

I liked Rucka's, would so completely if it had wiped away the AzZeus parentage, so I'm actually most partial to the ambiguous movie version for now. Leaves it all pretty open to interpretation.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Where does Rucka's Rebirth run confirm that the Azzarello change is still definitely part of her back story? Can you name which issue number that was in?
    As far as I could tell, Rucka ducked the issue and didn't either confirm it nor deny it. He just sort of passed it over without saying if that was "Truth" or part of the "Lies" (which was a bit annoying as far as I was concerned).

You're right. Rucka didn't confirm or deny it out right but DC did right around SDCC a few weeks ago, plus the upcoming run by James Robinson confirms it as well as the solicits refer to the Diana's brother Jason(Zeus's son) and "children of the gods". I certainly don't blame Rucka for any of this but it just makes me enjoy his run a slight bit less knowing that the stink of Azzarello's generic origin is still with Diana.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    You're right. Rucka didn't confirm or deny it out right but DC did right around SDCC a few weeks ago, plus the upcoming run by James Robinson confirms it as well as the solicits refer to the Diana's brother Jason(Zeus's son) and "children of the gods". I certainly don't blame Rucka for any of this but it just makes me enjoy his run a slight bit less knowing that the stink of Azzarello's generic origin is still with Diana.
    Has anyone actually seen that anywhere except for that first article where it was second hand?

Mighty Member

I liked bits and pieces of Earth One and Legend but I perfer Rucka's. I haven't read True Amazon since I havent heard anything good about it

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Has anyone actually seen that anywhere except for that first article where it was second hand?

I don't think Jason would still be around if the Zeus-origin wasn't still cannon plus the upcoming solicit for WW refer to "children of the gods".

Hi everyone,

I am going to defend The true Amazon since everyone seem to hate it.
    I don't think the story was ever intented has a conventionnal WW story, nor has how she should be done, I read it as an "elseword" or "what if" story.
    I think Jill Thompson suceeded in that regard, it pushes the readers out of their comfort zone and offers a different perspective on the character.
    And I think it's great, that's what I want from time to time, something fresh and outside the box, it makes me even more happy to go back to the more classical Diana.

It's sad imo that so many fans have rejected that story, look at "elseworld" stories like Superman Red Son, superman fans have embrace it, because it's an opportunity to expand the character's existence.

With that kind of stories you can explore many more facets of a character, and push the boundaries of what make them so great in the first place, I wish more Wonder Woman fans gave it at try.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderSpace View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am going to defend The true Amazon since everyone seem to hate it.
    I don't think the story was ever intented has a conventionnal WW story, nor has how she should be done, I read it as an "elseword" or "what if" story.
    I think Jill Thompson suceeded in that regard, it pushes the readers out of their comfort zone and offers a different perspective on the character.
    And I think it's great, that's what I want from time to time, something fresh and outside the box, it makes me even more happy to go back to the more classical Diana.

It's sad imo that so many fans have rejected that story, look at "elseworld" stories like Superman Red Son, superman fans have embrace it, because it's an opportunity to expand the character's existence.

With that kind of stories you can explore many more facets of a character, and push the boundaries of what make them so great in the first place, I wish more Wonder Woman fans gave it at try.
    1) there are Superman fans who hate Red Son

2) given how often the main WW changes I'd say WW fans get pushed out of their comfort zone just fine. It's great that you like it but not everyone does and they have their reasons why