Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default Chapterhouse / Captain Canuck series: how to keep them all straight

So ... actually I got hooked by the Pitiful Human Lizard series, and everyone ought to give that a try too. Recently they had a big alien fight (in Toronto, I think?) that crossed over multiple series, including Captain Canuck.

I'm having some trouble figuring out where all the series are at, in terms of issue number. (Die-hard collector here.) The Chapterhouse website seems to have less information than other places about upcoming issues in several series. I am having a real hard time telling if Chapterhouse's website is just not being updated, or if the other websites are posting bad info. Offline, I've been ordering them from the PREVIEWS order form each month, and I've been pretty careful looking so I don't miss them.

Specifically, I'm looking at Captain Canuck, All-New Classic Captain Canuck, Agents of PACT, and NorthGuard. Is anyone else collecting issues? Where are you at with these series?

Chapterhouse has had 11 issues of Capt Canuck (2015). A second volume just started. Northguard had a 4 issue mini series in 2016 & another one due out soon. Agents of PACT have had only 2 issues of 4 come out. All-New Classic Captain Canuck I believe was canceled after #3.

All-New Member

Captain Canuck's second volume, is that the one labeled "Season 3" on the cover of the new first issue?

Northguard, ah dang, I gotta find the others. Hopefully the online store has 'em in stock. Oh, the Summer Special too.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a source?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNails View Post
    Captain Canuck's second volume, is that the one labeled "Season 3" on the cover of the new first issue?

Northguard, ah dang, I gotta find the others. Hopefully the online store has 'em in stock. Oh, the Summer Special too.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a source?
    Yes the new volume is season 3. Agents of PACT #3 due out in Dec. ANCCC restarts in Sept with #4 after a one year delay. And source is previewsworld.com.

I read that issue too, of Pitiful Human Lizard, but just decided I wasn't interested enough to check out Captain Canuck as well. Is it any good though? Someone on here recently sold me on Pitiful Human Lizard by comparing it to The Tick, don't remember who it was unfortunately...

It's a good series, but I hadn't realised they did things like crossovers until the recent Toronto fight fallout issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    I read that issue too, of Pitiful Human Lizard, but just decided I wasn't interested enough to check out Captain Canuck as well. Is it any good though?
    Capt Canuck is Canadian Super Spies. Mix government spy agencies with super powers & you have Capt Canuck.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Yes the new volume is season 3. Agents of PACT #3 due out in Dec. ANCCC restarts in Sept with #4 after a one year delay. And source is previewsworld.com.
    Now I'm confused. How is Volume 2 Season 3?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post

K
    Season One was the original run that started in 1975 by Comely Comix. Season 2 is the 2015 volume (first volume by Chapterhouse). Season 3 is the 2017 series (second volume by Chapterhouse).
    Last edited by md62; 08-08-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post

K
    Basically it breaks down like this.

The original run from the '70's has been re-branded as the "Classic Captain Canuck". He recently had his own title ("All-New Classic Captain Canuck") which ran for 4 issues and recently ended. It literally tied up loose ends from the '70's series (which abruptly suspended publication in the middle of a storyline), and is unrelated to the new take on the character. It does NOT fall under the "Season One, Season Two, etc" branding. It was basically for us older fans who remember the original title, and wondered what the heck happened (and wanted some sort of story closure).

There's now a new version of the character who's been in publication since 2015. Basically, they rebooted the character virtually from scratch, and started telling completely new stories with him. The first volume of his stories ran for for roughly 12 issues. It has been collected into two trades: Aleph and the Gauntlet. THESE TWO TRADES HAVE BEEN RE-BRANDED AS "Season One" (referring to the Aleph story arc which ran from issues 1-6) and "Season Two" (referring to the Gauntlet story arc, which ran from issues 7-11).

"Season Three" is what they're calling the new story arc, which is volume two of the new iteration of the character.

So basically the "Seasons" titling is referring to the way they're collecting story arcs for publication as trades. It doesn't refer to the actual "volumes" of the character's publication history. And the "Seasons" titling ONLY refers to the new version of the character, who's been in publications since 2015.

And I recommend it 'cause it's really good (though published with frequent delays).
    Last edited by Ishmael; 11-09-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNails View Post
    So ... actually I got hooked by the Pitiful Human Lizard series, and everyone ought to give that a try too. Recently they had a big alien fight (in Toronto, I think?) that crossed over multiple series, including Captain Canuck.

I'm having some trouble figuring out where all the series are at, in terms of issue number. (Die-hard collector here.) The Chapterhouse website seems to have less information than other places about upcoming issues in several series. I am having a real hard time telling if Chapterhouse's website is just not being updated, or if the other websites are posting bad info. Offline, I've been ordering them from the PREVIEWS order form each month, and I've been pretty careful looking so I don't miss them.

Specifically, I'm looking at Captain Canuck, All-New Classic Captain Canuck, Agents of PACT, and NorthGuard. Is anyone else collecting issues? Where are you at with these series?
    I'm doing Northguard Vol #1. May end up doing Northguard Vol #2 in trade because Chapterhouse has an erratic shipping schedule. Often late and sometimes seemingly out of sequence. Also Agents of P.A.C.T and Freelance in single issues until they wrap up. This may be the next Aspen Comics that I buy only in trade. They seem to have problems with #2 issues in particular. Otherwise a good company to follow. Never read any of their 80's output which is why I wanted to check them out.

https://www.chapterhouse.ca/blogs/la...nder-ten-bucks

Chapterhouse will price their issues at $1.99 & their trades at $9.99 in 2018.