Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    iMan 42s

Question Why do people overlook Spider-man hitting Mary Jane when she was pregnant?

Various Hank Pym threads always come back to the slap. It's ALWAYS the slap and how people think Hank Pym should be further punished for this. That he lost his man card, that he is unworthy of being an Avenger, that this awful act 100% taints the character to the point it was blown up in the Ultimate universe to a flat-out beating.

Why does Spider-man get off freely when he hit Mary Jane while she was pregnant?
    In 2007 we had OMD removing Mary Jane's pregnancy from the timeline because reasons, so if everything is the same excluding the marriage and her pregnancy than Peter still assaulted Mary Jane. Why doesn't this get brought up not only in-universe but not here either? Spider-man hit Schrodinger's pregnant wife and we are all okay with that? I hate to mention double standards but I'm pretty sure there has to be to a degree between these two franchises. Even the movies Spider-man had still struck Mary Jane, but this does not taint a franchise in the same way it had affected everything else associated with Hank Pym. Even if this was 100% removed from continuity, the comic was still published, can still be found in stores, and scans can still be readily found of this material. It still happened.

I'm genuinely curious as to why the Spider-man franchise gets a pass, but the Avengers/Ant man/Giant man/ and Yellow Jacket franchises do not.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

In all fairness MJ got in the way thus I deemed Peter striking MJ an accident... Hank slapped Jan deliberately.

Spider-Man is popular, so when he does something evil, it's blamed on the writer and forgotten. Pym is unpopular, so when he does something even slightly controversial, the worst possible interpretation sticks to him like glue.

kill them both

Mary Jane was the enabler on this. She was a manipulator and tricked Peter to marry her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Mary Jane was the enabler on this. She was a manipulator and tricked Peter to marry her.
    Be careful, you may help creating a new meme.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    ummmm

How did she trick Peter to marry her?
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    In all fairness MJ got in the way thus I deemed Peter striking MJ an accident... Hank slapped Jan deliberately.
    I was under the impression that Jim Shooter meant for the slap to be accidental and Bob Hall drew it wrong but there wasn't enough time to redraw it.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    uhm no..he backhanded her, when she was trying to stop him from killing someone...thats two wrongs right there

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe8 View Post
    uhm no..he backhanded her, when she was trying to stop him from killing someone...thats two wrongs right there
    yeah

Mary Jane tried to stop Peter from killing Ben.
    Peter was outraged about being told that he was the clone
    He struck Mary Jane.
    When he found out, he was horrified and ashamed
    He left.

I really liked Mary Jane in the Clone Saga.
    She didn't give up on Peter, and she still loved and stuck with him even though he was believed to be a clone.
    She showed a lot of brains and guts in helping him overcome the Jackal's hold on him in Time Bomb even though Peter was pursuing to kill her under the Jackal's programming.

Mary Jane's portrayal and Ben were the two reasons that I liked about the Clone Saga.
    I hated Ben's death and the tragedy of Peter and Mary Jane's baby.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    yeah

Mary Jane tried to stop Peter from killing Ben.
    Peter was outraged about being told that he was the clone
    He struck Mary Jane.
    When he found out, he was horrified and ashamed
    He left.

I really liked Mary Jane in the Clone Saga.
    She didn't give up on Peter, and she still loved and stuck with him even though he was believed to be a clone.
    She showed a lot of brains and guts in helping him overcome the Jackal's hold on him in Time Bomb even though Peter was pursuing to kill her under the Jackal's programming.

Mary Jane's portrayal and Ben were the two reasons that I liked about the Clone Saga.
    I hated Ben's death and the tragedy of Peter and Mary Jane's baby.
    and lets not forget that the way he hit mj was a lot more violent then hank. mj flew through the room, crashed into a cupboard ( i think) and was left bleeding in what was left of the table

https://goo.gl/images/QYqMz9

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe8 View Post
    and lets not forget that the way he hit mj was a lot more violent then hank. mj flew through the room, crashed into a cupboard ( i think) and was left bleeding in what was left of the table

https://goo.gl/images/QYqMz9
    All of this while she was pregnant? Yikes. And yeah, that didn't look like an accident at all. It's pretty obvious why this doesn't get brought up in-universe (OMD and all), but it looks ten times worse than the whole Hank situation and, off-universe, it's definitely unfair how Parker gets alway with it while Pym is crucified.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-04-2017 at 03:53 AM.