Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is Batman enabling damians dickish behaviour?

Damian Wayne has many qualities that Bruce does namely coldness, supecillousness, controlling and manipulativeness, getting the job done at all costs and the like. Most of it is due to the fact that he has been raised as a assassin and didn't have proper nurturing and parenting a child needs. That makes everyone expect Tim give him a pass lots of times when spoiler was fired without due notice on a relatively lower offence. Is being the son of batman not to mention Talia has enabled Damian to treat most people as just tools and his helpers rather than real persons? Doesn't the possibility of his snapping and cleaning out Gotham by murdering every criminal a real danger and dock or Brice should have first made him see psychiatrists or train under monks so he could be more of a stable person rather than just summarily drafting him into a war?Isn't there a real possibility of damian becoming injustice nightwing? When superman who is so gentle with lids calls your kid psychotic there is definitely something lacking in him although he is shown as overprotective of his family which may have lead to his outburst against Damian still when chips fall down and suppose Damian snaps will Bruce be able to take his son out or will he defend him from everybody in the DC universe and maintain he will be the only one who deals with him?

Damian in many ways is a parody of Bruce, but it's not like he can fire him from being his son. He can't just give up on his son. Plus, another thing to consider is what would Damian become if he wasn't Robin.
    Luckily though Bruce has back up. Remember it wasn't really Bruce that got through to Damian in the first place, it was Dick. He's the one who made him Robin and gave him something constructive to do. Which has showed results. Damian has done a lot of good with the chance he was given. Even if he's not always polite and nice about it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-04-2017 at 01:47 AM.

Damian seems poses all of Bruce's worst characteristics, writers highlight this behaviour in order to pander to the crowd that enjoy the anti-hero archetype. "Damian is the type of 'hero' who will save your life but treat you like crap"He treats his team mate badly in Titans but they accept this because Damian ultimately has good intentions. I don't think Bruce enables Damian's behaviour as much as he tolerates and hopes he grows out of it eventually just like Bruce did himself.

Mighty Member

Batman isn't really the caring type of parent. He will rather order Damian than hug and kiss him goodnight. It's more of a tough love kind of parenting. Superman is the caring type of parenting. He will talk to Jon and care about everything in his son's life.

In Batman's defense, Damian isn't reciprocative of other's love and affection. Damian would rather insult a person rather than comfort them. He doesn't look at friendship and family the same way we do. He was raised to see both as weakness.

Batman also doesn't have enough experience on parenting someone on Damian's level. Dick was very mature compared to his age and was already a well developed person due to having great parents. Jason died too fast and shows Batman's failure on parenting. Tim isn't Bruce's son the same way the other three are.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Ahaha. I'm so glad other readers are noticing Damian's similarities to Bruce, and the difficulty that causes when Bruce tries to be a good father to him. Last time I mentioned it, I got post after post furiously telling me how wrong I was.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Well I think lots of children will inhabit some of their parents ways.

Perhaps Thomas Wayne wasn't the most "sweetest" Dad either. I mean, in the movies, we get the glimpse of him smiling with his family before he gets gunned down but in the books, I kind of got the feeling that Thomas was a little guarded and standoffish as well BUT a good man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post

Perhaps Thomas Wayne wasn't the most "sweetest" Dad either. I mean, in the movies, we get the glimpse of him smiling with his family before he gets gunned down but in the books, I kind of got the feeling that Thomas was a little guarded and standoffish as well BUT a good man.
    Well, we know for certain that Bruce got some traits from his dad. After all, Bruce inherited his father's hatred for Rock and Roll.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Thomas has pretty inconsistent characterizations, I think. In The Man Who Falls, I think he's kind of a jerk, but generally, people have made him gentler in more recent times.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I wouldn't say Batman is enabling Damian's behavior but we don't really see them together as often anymore to really see him either reprimand or deal with it (though he did ground him in one Super Sons issue).

Like, if Batman had been there in Lazarus Contract, I think he would've given Damian grief over his actions there. Heck, Dick probably should have and he was actually there .

Mighty Member

If Damian was more Dickish he wouldn't be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Well, we know for certain that Bruce got some traits from his dad. After all, Bruce inherited his father's hatred for Rock and Roll.
    I thought that was because he was molested by a rock star. Did I imagine that???
    Last edited by Alycat; 08-04-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Damian spent more of his life with his mother. So she probably deserves a much bigger slice of the blame. First two things he did was stuffed a grande in a guys mouth and tried to kill Tim.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Fantastic Member

I don't think Bruce is being a good dad in general. Sometimes he tries but overall he doesn't look to good. He barely attempts to reprimand Damian for his actions or punish him. Alfred actually had to punish him and Damian still has the mind frame that you shouldn't ask for permission just forgiveness for your actions. Isn't Damian currently souring on Bruce being his dad and occasional calling him by his first name?

Well he didn't ask nor plan for Damian. This is a 10 year old child that was put off on him. He accepted and grew to love him. It's not like Damian was this quiet, sweet child that made it so easy to love him at first sight.

Give the man a break.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 08-04-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Damian like all kids is a product of his environment and his genes. I wouldn't say Bruce is actively enabling him but he isn't helping.

Bruce doesn't know the 1st thing about parenting or priories. the fact that he himself hasn't had therapy shows just how much he values emotional health and happiness A kid like Damian who tries so had to prove himself, works so had to hide his true self and who's had the life he had absolutely is crying out for someone to talk to. The kid never had what most kids rich or poor get and take for granted. A childhood and a loving foundation.
    Like with Jason before him all Bruce is bothered about is no killing not is my kid emotional secure and happy. He isn't bothered about raising well adjusted kids who can function socially and who grow into happy secure adults because he not that himself so he doesn't value it.

Both Jason and Damian need some form of therapy and extra focus to ensure they know their worth and don't hurt so much. Heck even Dick should see someone. Dick is lucky he had good parents who gave him a good foundation. Jason and Damian never had that

As for turning into Injustice Nightwing that can happen to anyone and I don't believe it would be too much of a problem since this isn't Bruce's 1st time at that Rodeo. Injustice Damian is pretty much a more annoying version of Jason when he 1st returned.

Well he didn't ask nor plan for Damian. This is a 10 year old child that was put off on him. He accepted and grew to love him. It's not like Damian was this quiet, sweet child that made it so easy to love him at first sight.

Give the man a break.
    WTF kind of shitty excuse is that. He never asked for any of the people who loiter in that cave. Lots of people have unplanned kids sure glad they don't take Bruce's approach. People in some cultures are forced to take in kids of dead relatives and they don't look at it as a chore as you are implying.

Also the whole sweet kids are easy to love. Wow. I hear that a lot in my line of work and normally it's from the most abominable of folks. Autistic kids and kids with certain behaviour problems are difficult to handle but their parents just double up on the love. When you have a child with a lengthy history of Abuse You are meant to work harder at it not give up.

That is a very dodgy mindset you have there.