Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Frank Miller Holy Terror Review

Originally intended to be a Batman Book, Frank Miller's Holy Terror quickly indicates why DC would not publish it. I found it to be really bad taste and really badly BADLY written.

You can check out my full thoughts in video or in my article at the links below.

Frank Miller Holy Terror Review

I'd love to hear yours as I can image there will be a lot of people that disagree but damn...this was just....terrible
    Last edited by Deffinition; 08-06-2017 at 05:56 AM.
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

BANNED

A serious contender for the title of "worst comic ever made" right here.

Spectacular Member

I don't know how the guy who made Born Again, Year One, Dark Knight Returns ends up making this, like it's so bad I kinda want to keep ahold of it forever
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deffinition View Post
    I don't know how the guy who made Born Again, Year One, Dark Knight Returns ends up making this, like it's so bad I kinda want to keep ahold of it forever
    IMO, Frank Miller was never great. He did good work with Year One and Born Again (Though I still have problems with the former and I'm going off hearsay for the latter), but made around the same time, DKR is mediocre. And for modern times, DKR2 is atrocious, All-Star Batman and Robin is hilariously bad, and at least at the start, I'm not convinced he was going for satire, and of course, the bottom of the barrel that is Holy Terror.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    IMO, Frank Miller was never great. He did good work with Year One and Born Again (Though I still have problems with the former and I'm going off hearsay for the latter), but made around the same time, DKR is mediocre. And for modern times, DKR2 is atrocious, All-Star Batman and Robin is hilariously bad, and at least at the start, I'm not convinced he was going for satire, and of course, the bottom of the barrel that is Holy Terror.
    Yeah, I really enjoy TDKR, Year one is massively overrated, Born again is amazing to me, All star is one of the funniest things i've ever read because it's so bad but yeah....no matter how bad it is, even DK2 at it's lowest point, still completely, still massively, S**Ts on Holy Terror, like I have no idea what the guy was doing

Deffinition Patreon

BANNED

I have no idea what the guy was doing
    It's quite simple really: Miller is racist and misogynistic. This is not me calling the man names (As mods have told me not to do about creators, even if they deserve it), it's what I've perceived about him based on his work.

He peaked in the 80's for sure.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Yeah, I really enjoy TDKR, Year one is massively overrated, Born again is amazing to me, All star is one of the funniest things i've ever read because it's so bad but yeah....no matter how bad it is, even DK2 at it's lowest point, still completely, still massively, S**Ts on Holy Terror, like I have no idea what the guy was doing
    Eh. I would strongly disagree. I think Year One and Born Again are both amazing, for the same reason - Miller really getting down into the psychology of the pulp/noir hero and making it work.

Holy Terror is so weird to me, though. Man. It definitely feels very much like All-Star Batman and Robin in the way the Fixer thinks and speaks, though.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I like the art, expressionist, satiric, abstract.... but the story is pretty bad, just terrible. With the same plot he could have a waaaay better story. All too simplistic, too black and white.
    All-Star Batman and Robin is just absurd, the scene with Green Lantern is one of the best Batman jerk moments haha

BANNED

Call the man a cultural racist if you want but to say he was never a good creator?

Please, that won`t stand on a technical level. "Ronin" is a bloody visual and narrative masterpiece. Year One is only "overrated" in the sense of how many people tried to copy it and you get fed up with all the noise surrounding the original take, DKR is a masterpiece and both Daredevil runs brought the European school of realism and noir to mainstream comic book, spawning other great books like Mirage`s TMNT. "300" is a fantastic Novel.

I never sat and read HL but from what I read about it in interviews this is supposed to be American propaganda against what happened. Seems it was very much designed to either love or hate it, just like those covers during the efforts of WWII.

It can`t be more phobic than shyt I`ve heard from politician`s mouths.

BANNED

It's quite simple really: Miller is racist and misogynistic.
    Misogynist towards men too?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Misogynist towards men too?
    Not sure if you're trolling or something, but a misogynist is someone who is prejudiced against women.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I never sat and read HL but from what I read about it in interviews this is supposed to be American propaganda against what happened. Seems it was very much designed to either love or hate it, just like those covers during the efforts of WWII.

It can`t be more phobic than shyt I`ve heard from politician`s mouths.
    The problem is that it plays the propaganda completely straight, and the result is nothing but poorly drawn, badly written racist trash. Miller was a terrible choice to write this, not JUST because he's racist, but because of how ignorant he is of certain facts.

Also, being less racist than certain American politicians really isn't exactly saying much.

This **** again!?

MOD lock this thread for our sanitys sake

BANNED

Not sure if you're trolling or something, but a misogynist is someone who is prejudiced against women.
    I`m aware.

The question then goes to how does misogynist plays into, say, Wonder Woman`s portrail in DKSA or All Star.