Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Spider-Man: The (Unofficial) Telltale Series

So having juggled some ideas around for a while now about a possible interactive fan game with Marvel characters, I would like to try my hand at doing a Telltale style game for Spider-Man! For those who don't play them, Telltale Games create story driven experiences much like a visual choose your own adventure where the player decides what to say in certain situations and what choices to make, shaping the story's future and how the other characters view the player's. They are also released in episodes like a TV show, usually between five and six in a season, sometimes with multiple seasons which follow the story and the player's choices (to whatever extent) forwards.

Previously I had thought about doing one based around the Civil War comic event (and I might still use that someday) but the more I've thought about it the more I wanted to try and do something original than a straight interactive adaption. In the last couple of days I've hit upon a possible plot line I can use. Assuming things ok I will try and create a demo and then opening episode on a suitable interactive fiction creator, most likely Twine. (This will mean it's all text based, no visuals.)

I'm mainly been inspired by Telltale's take on Batman, in the sense that:

a. They focus as much on Bruce Wayne as they do Batman, and his influence on the world. I want to do this with Peter Parker and show the decisions he makes matters as much as he is as Spider-Man. They also often let the player choose whether to go into a situation as Bruce or Batman, which I might do too with Peter and Spidey where suited.
    b. They are not afraid of mixing things up and doing some unique and interesting things with the Batman mythos as it is set within its own continuity. In a similar vein I want to make my own take on Spider-Man to be distinctive and have some different things to established canon, all whilst keeping the spirit of Spider-Man and his connected allies and rogues intact.

So currently I am in the process of mentally mapping out a season of this idea, tooling the story I have in mind to run about five to six episodes, selecting the characters who will appear, thinking of strong and interesting major choices for Peter to make which shape the story significantly (I have three really interesting ones so far) alongside smaller but still important choices. But I am going to need some additional suggestions from fans as to the kind of game and choices they would be interested in seeing! So, I am opening the floor to suggestions. To tool things slightly I will ask the following...

1. Setting! Currently my idea involves a Peter at the age of 18 years old, recently started at his first year as a Joint BA in Biological Sciences and Photography at Empire State University, which will be a core setting of the story. So I want to know if that core setting seems ideal or if people would prefer an older or younger Peter Parker. I felt the age I selected seems about right since I wanted a young but not just started as Spidey Peter (he was bitten by the Spider about two years ago in the canon I have in mind), but I'm open to other ideas.

2. Characters! I don't want to say exactly who I have initially in mind yet for a supporting cast, but I'm looking for favorites within Peter's core friends and allies especially, both classic and modern. Who would you want to see included? In the case of villains I would prefer to hold off on suggestions now, I have several in mind and I think it wise to not overwhelm the game with them until I have a sensible number (maybe between six and eight) for the course of the season. Also as I mentioned changes from canon above, would you be open to new original characters in the supporting cast? I have one in mind currently.

3. Choices! In a general sense only, although in the context of the suggested setting made above would be nice, what kinds of choices would you want your Spider-Man to be able to make? Or your Peter Parker? Anything you suggest in that line would be awesome.

4. Since this might be a part of the overall season and a traditional part of Spidey's hectic life in the comics, what's you take on romance in this sort of story? Do you want to have the chance to have Peter date a fellow female character? Would you like to be able to chose between several? Would you prefer those non powered ladies or include girls traditionally with powers as well? Feel free to throw out names of established characters. Rest assured I have considered the logical ones (one might be red haired and another blonde haired, heh).

That's what I have for now. Any feedback I can get would be great, but if there are any updates on this project I will let you know! I don't want to put a pin in a date for a demo or first episode anytime soon, though.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

1. College-age Spidey is best to me, perfect balancing point between "high school hero" Peter and "established adult" Peter.

2. Supporting cast members, classic and new . . . well, I'd go with Eugene "Flash" Thompson, Harry Osborn, Norah Winters, Phil Urich, Yuri Watanabe, and Aunt May. Flash got into ESU thanks to the military paying his way in exchange for his service, though said service might involve becoming a test subject for a certain renewed super-soldier program (I won't say what it is, but if you know where the character's been over the last several years, you can probably guess). Harry is focusing on his studies in an attempt to keep busy so he won't be tempted to go back to drugs, but with having to lean on a constantly disappearing Peter (who is fighting crime as Spider-Man) for help with those studies and dealing with lingering feelings of abandonment and rejection from his father Norman, the pills are starting to look mighty good again. Norah and Phil are aspiring journalists working on The Daily Bugle's online and social media expansion at the behest of the Bugle's owner and publisher J. Jonah Jameson, and like Harry, they're leaning on Peter for his genius on the more technical aspects, though Peter isn't always there to help because he's busy fighting crime as Spider-Man, unwittingly driving a wedge between them when Norah's "constantly defending" his lateness and absences makes Phil think she has feelings for Peter. Yuri is preparing for a career in law enforcement, as inspired by much of her family, and is ambivalent at best on Spider-Man's role in New York City's crime-fighting scene. Aunt May is closer to her MCU counterpart in terms of appearance and demeanor, mostly for the irony of Peter treating her like she's a delicate and frail old woman when she's actually very physically active and vital despite her advancing age and spends a lot of her time volunteering for various good causes, also reversing the classic dynamic in the comics where Aunt May would constantly fuss over Peter (and she might even be ready to date again, much to Peter's chagrin).

3. Choices I would like to see a Telltale Games Spider-Man/Peter Parker be able to make would be the same as in the comics, where he has to decide between what the right thing is for him as Peter Parker and what the right thing is for him as Spider-Man. Opportunities for personal advancement (social, academic, professional) vs. his obligations and responsibilities to use his powers to defend the innocent and vulnerable, for example. More focused on what he does as Spider-Man --- does he take the high road or the low road? Does he choose to follow justice, or does he let his anger and resentment get the better of him and start getting rougher on criminals, harsher towards those who think of him as a menace despite the good he's done, or even cutting corners and neglecting his responsibilities as a crime-fighter? Conversely, as Peter Parker, does he make time for his friends and family, or does he focus 100% on being Spider-Man to the neglect of those who need him to be there for them as Peter?

4. Because it wouldn't be Spider-Man if his love life wasn't complicated, I'd say like in the Bioware games (Mass Effect and Dragon Age), Telltale Spider-Man/Peter would be able to choose between multiple romanceable characters, from the top three like Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, and Felicia "Black Cat" Hardy, to some more obscure characters like engineering student Lian Tang, the aforementioned Norah if she and Phil end up breaking up (though that might cause a grudge with Phil that could result in some very bad things happening down the line), maybe Yuri, or even a journalism student named Cindy Moon with a silky secret of her own. Of course, that also leads into the decision of whether or not to tell whoever Peter chooses about his double identity, and if he doesn't, how he maintains that relationship without driving his love interest away because of his constant unexplained or poorly explained lateness and absences due to fighting crime as Spider-Man. Then there's the issue of whether the love interest's feelings regarding Spider-Man are positive or negative, which would also impact Peter's decision to confess his alter ego to said love interest, and of course, whether he romances them as Peter Parker or as Spider-Man.

Hopefully this helps a little.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Thanks for your great suggestions, Huntsman! Yeah the College Age Peter seemed like an interesting point to set a game, given you get to have a Peter on the cusp of adulthood, dealing with the circumstances of juggling his roles as a person and a superhero over the past two years but still uncertain what sort of life he wants to live. This Peter still hasn't fully embraced his science or photography sides yet, which I suspect will be one of the aspects of the story I have in mind as he builds new and establishing connections with OSCORP and the Daily Bugle (and the characters associated with those groups).

Aunt May, Flash Thompson and Harry Osborn are all definitive, alongside Ned Leeds and Edward Brock. I like the idea of Yuri since I was planning on having Captain George Stacy too. Bringing the drugs thing into play from Harry could be interesting too, so I'll definitely consider that. Jonah Jameson, Ben Urich and Robbie Robertson are all part of the Bugle crew. Your ideas about Phil and Norah might work well with Betty and Ned and possibly Flash, which would be an interesting love triangle you can try to sort out (or get involved in). I'm definitely inspired by MCU May - the opening scene of the game is half a conversation with her, half a battle with a super villain.

I have six girls in mind for the story, some or all of which could be romanced in some capability, though I think reaching Mass Effect levels of complexity with romances is unlikely. But those are Betty Brant, Cindy Moon, Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, Felicia Hardy and an original character... Mary Octavius. (You might know her father.)

OSCORP is a big part of the story I have in mind, with characters connected to it like Curt Connors and Michael Morbius, but the company is overseen by Norman Osborn. (I haven't decided if he's Green Goblin yet, or if he even will become the Goblin, since I honestly think Norman is dangerous enough as he is.)

There are also characters with particular issues with OSCORP for numerous reasons, including a fellow called Herman Schultz. Effectively since the Telltale Batman game was very focused on criminal gang bosses, I want to avoid characters like the Kingpin and Hammerhead and have a story with villains and characters connected to super science, genetics and high-tech.

I think those ideas about defining choices and balancing lives is perfectly, especially with the university and employment settings. I'm sure the manta of great power and responsibility will be pulled out a few times, heh. And there's definitely the opportunity of deciding what sort of hero Peter is and how the public views him. Can Peter get the Bugle to sing his praises, or the police to trust him more? I want to have players think about the relationships with May, at University, in the Bugle and at OSCORP, as much as when he's Spider-Man.

Thanks for your ideas again! I'm going to hopefully finalize a choice of platform and then start work on a demo, probably for what will be the first chapter of Episode 1, and work my way from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Thanks for your ideas again! I'm going to hopefully finalize a choice of platform and then start work on a demo, probably for what will be the first chapter of Episode 1, and work my way from there.
    So, what's the game going to look like when its finished? (Text game, "pick-a-path ebook, audio drama, etc.?) I'm kinda trying to wrap my head around it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, what's the game going to look like when its finished? (Text game, "pick-a-path ebook, audio drama, etc.?) I'm kinda trying to wrap my head around it a bit.
    The exact writing style is something I am debating - it might well read like a script with who speaks what dialogue - but I guess pick a path ebook is the closest description. If you've ever read a choose your own adventure book it's sort of like that, but depending on how much like a Telltale game I do it there will also be plenty of dialogue options kind of like this (except text based).

Characters will remember your responses and how you interact with them and in theory this will change the story, but there will also be bigger more significant choices to make in the story too. Telltale tends to have about five significant choices per episode, so expect the same (alongside smaller but not always less important choices).

The exact writing style is something I am debating - it might well read like a script with who speaks what dialogue - but I guess pick a path ebook is the closest description. If you've ever read a choose your own adventure book it's sort of like that, but depending on how much like a Telltale game I do it there will also be plenty of dialogue options kind of like this (except text based).
    Okay, I can visualize that. That would work well using as a website (each page being a webpage and the choice options linking to the page that follows that path). If you had the software to make interactive pdfs, you could make your project into literal pick a path ebooks.

For my money, the more it reads like the book, the more enjoyable it might be, but that's just my opinion.

Are there going to be images of any kind to go with the story?

Characters will remember your responses and how you interact with them and in theory this will change the story, but there will also be bigger more significant choices to make in the story too. Telltale tends to have about five significant choices per episode, so expect the same (alongside smaller but not always less important choices).
    Sounds good.

For reference, is the story going to be set in a specific pre-existing Spider-Man continuity or in a generalized version of the mythos?

Okay, I can visualize that. That would work well using as a website (each page being a webpage and the choice options linking to the page that follows that path). If you had the software to make interactive pdfs, you could make your project into literal pick a path ebooks.

For my money, the more it reads like the book, the more enjoyable it might be, but that's just my opinion.

Are there going to be images of any kind to go with the story?
    Good. As it happens the original inspiration for my dream of doing an interactive Marvel text game came from someone else doing one for the MCU Avengers where you play as Hawkeye, which you can see here. https://archiveofourown.org/works/391453 That was done as a more traditional Choose your Own Adventure, and indeed I have started something similar with Spider-Man where you play out the events of the comic Civil War, choosing your side and possibly making decisions different to what Peter did. But it got increasingly more and more ambitious and as time went on the idea of doing something more original appealed to me more. I also really enjoy Telltale Games and their style, so doing my own take on one appealed too.

I'll be using a program called Twine in any case, which is a fantastic program for interactive fiction, which works as you say - there's a section like a webpage and numerous links, but you can also doing more complex things with it like have it remember what players have previously done and limit their options, or give them a limited time to make a choice (as Telltale tend to do). I think I'll be creating the first chapter of Episode 1 as a demo (expect about six per episode) and seeing how it looks. If I find it works better as a more traditional CYOA then I'll modify it as needed.

I'm hesitant about using images as since I can't draw for toffee, so I would be using official images if I did, which might not correspond to the appearance or look I had in mind but also goes into slightly copyright territory. Since it's effectively fan fiction otherwise it shouldn't be an issue. One thing I do plan on doing is having bios for characters which come from Peter's own journal or private website - these will update with any additional info on the characters as the story carries on.

Sounds good.

For reference, is the story going to be set in a specific pre-existing Spider-Man continuity or in a generalized version of the mythos?
    General mythos with some relatively original additions I think. I want to have some things which differ from canon like Telltale's Batman does. These will include:

- College Aged Peter at 18, studying a joint degree of Bio Sciences and Photography.
    - Eddie Brock as a old childhood friend alongside Ned Leeds and Harry Osborn.
    - New original character Mary Octavius, daughter of Otto Octavius.
    - The opportunity to prevent or cause the origins of certain super villains.

Certain characters will also come in at different points. My current theory is that Mary Jane Watson will arrive on the scene at the end of Episode 1, likely via a 'Face It Tiger You Hit The Jackpot' situation.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Sounding very good so far. Glad my contributions could help a little, and I'm liking a lot of those ideas, especially your idea for how to end Episode 1. That would be just about perfect. And yeah, having Spider-Man focus on science/tech-based villains and corporate crime does make it more its own thing compared to Batman's Telltale adaptation.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Thanks, it's kind of you to say so! Any ideas I get are useful since it's just me working on all of this stuff. And I'm glad you like the MJ idea, it just came to me today as one of the things which would nicely mirror something in the traditional Spider-Man mythos. MJ is actually despite being my favorite Spider love interest the hardest to include currently since she's not as connected to his university or science life as the others. So I'll have to up the Aunt Anna connection or else think of something else, maybe tied to Peter's photography course has a model shoot where she appears...

I've always loved the science and high-tech villains of the Spider-Man Rogue Gallery most, and I definitely want to have OSCORP as the focus with others who are against it, with Peter and friends in the middle. There is one more unusual villain I have a great fondness for I haven't mentioned yet, but he's probably going to have a connection to a certain feline lady.

Mighty Member

Wow!

Great idea!

It looks like something that I would like to buy and play.

I wish you the best of luck on you project!
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Good. As it happens the original inspiration for my dream of doing an interactive Marvel text game came from someone else doing one for the MCU Avengers where you play as Hawkeye, which you can see here. https://archiveofourown.org/works/391453 That was done as a more traditional Choose your Own Adventure, and indeed I have started something similar with Spider-Man where you play out the events of the comic Civil War, choosing your side and possibly making decisions different to what Peter did. But it got increasingly more and more ambitious and as time went on the idea of doing something more original appealed to me more. I also really enjoy Telltale Games and their style, so doing my own take on one appealed too.

I'll be using a program called Twine in any case, which is a fantastic program for interactive fiction, which works as you say - there's a section like a webpage and numerous links, but you can also doing more complex things with it like have it remember what players have previously done and limit their options, or give them a limited time to make a choice (as Telltale tend to do). I think I'll be creating the first chapter of Episode 1 as a demo (expect about six per episode) and seeing how it looks. If I find it works better as a more traditional CYOA then I'll modify it as needed.
    Sounds better than what I was thinking. I'm assuming that there's a way to erase progress and start over from scratch, to try for different outcomes and whatnot?

I'm hesitant about using images as since I can't draw for toffee, so I would be using official images if I did, which might not correspond to the appearance or look I had in mind but also goes into slightly copyright territory. Since it's effectively fan fiction otherwise it shouldn't be an issue.
    Well, you know best, although since comics are a heavily visual medium, it would be nice to have something to go with the text.

One thing I do plan on doing is having bios for characters which come from Peter's own journal or private website - these will update with any additional info on the characters as the story carries on.
    Cool.

General mythos with some relatively original additions I think.
    Okay.

I want to have some things which differ from canon like Telltale's Batman does. These will include:

- College Aged Peter at 18, studying a joint degree of Bio Sciences and Photography.
    - Eddie Brock as a old childhood friend alongside Ned Leeds and Harry Osborn.
    Sounds like a solid mix.

- New original character Mary Octavius, daughter of Otto Octavius.
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around that one a bit, although, as an old RPG game master, I do get that you do need to create new characters to keep games based on franchises fresh.

- The opportunity to prevent or cause the origins of certain super villains.
    That sounds interesting.

Certain characters will also come in at different points. My current theory is that Mary Jane Watson will arrive on the scene at the end of Episode 1, likely via a 'Face It Tiger You Hit The Jackpot' situation.
    Seeing old favorites is always a good thing. If Mj's intro was based on the original story, would Peter going on the blind date with her be a fixed part of the story or would it fall under plot points that the player's choices determine?

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Wow!

Great idea!

It looks like something that I would like to buy and play.

I wish you the best of luck on you project!
    Thanks, that's actually genuinely touching to me that it's something you'd buy. Now if Marvel would be kind enough to loan me a gadzillion dollars and a creative company to make it that would be greatttttttttttttt. But I'll actually need to write it out first. Since I have the first chapter pretty down in my head I think I'm going to design that first, release it as a demo and get some feedback, then map out the entire season and then the episodes individually, THEN the writing begins.

...yeah, this might take a while, lol.

Sounds better than what I was thinking. I'm assuming that there's a way to erase progress and start over from scratch, to try for different outcomes and whatnot?
    Thanks! Twine is a free program to download and I have this great book about it which tells you how to use it to its full potential. As for that... hmmmm, that's a good question. People with Telltale games have saves for different outcomes but I am uncertain how easy it would be to implement those. Currently I have it in mind that at the start of an episode that Peter will review all the choices you've made via a diary or web blog entry or something. But we'll see!

Well, you know best, although since comics are a heavily visual medium, it would be nice to have something to go with the text.
    I'll consider adding some pictures if I think it suits the situation, but the game is going to be predominantly text based since it's on Twine.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around that one a bit, although, as an old RPG game master, I do get that you do need to create new characters to keep games based on franchises fresh.
    Mary Octavius provides an interesting dynamic in what Otto is like as a person when he has a daughter - one who shows as adept a knowledge of science as he is - in regards to how he acts around her, whether she keeps some of his traditional arrogance and possible madness in check, or whether others use Mary as a tool to keep him under their leash. Otto is my favorite Spider-Man villain because of his complexity as a character - right now I'm viewing his personality as closer to Alfred Molina's incarnation, who could be kind but obsessive and distant at times. Probably with a dash of his comic version's arrogance. You'll get to know Otto as Peter as much as Spider-Man through Mary, and thus might be able to keep him from becoming too attacked to his metal tentacles. There are also Curt Connors and Michael Morbius, two others who Peter will know before... well, we shall see.

Seeing old favorites is always a good thing. If Mj's intro was based on the original story, would Peter going on the blind date with her be a fixed part of the story or would it fall under plot points that the player's choices determine?
    I think the context with Mary Jane might depend on players choices in Episode 1, maybe around his interactions with Aunt May or Anna Watson (if I elect to include her). Given the university setting I will imagine I'll be including choices where dates or meetings with characters are possible! Peter has a number of people he knows - those like Flash, Ned, Gwen and Cindy he's known since high school, those like Harry, Betty and Eddie he's met more recently in University. But I will expect a date with a character is inevitable!

Thanks! Twine is a free program to download and I have this great book about it which tells you how to use it to its full potential. As for that... hmmmm, that's a good question. People with Telltale games have saves for different outcomes but I am uncertain how easy it would be to implement those. Currently I have it in mind that at the start of an episode that Peter will review all the choices you've made via a diary or web blog entry or something. But we'll see!
    Right.

I'll consider adding some pictures if I think it suits the situation, but the game is going to be predominantly text based since it's on Twine.
    Okay.

Mary Octavius provides an interesting dynamic in what Otto is like as a person when he has a daughter - one who shows as adept a knowledge of science as he is - in regards to how he acts around her, whether she keeps some of his traditional arrogance and possible madness in check, or whether others use Mary as a tool to keep him under their leash. Otto is my favorite Spider-Man villain because of his complexity as a character - right now I'm viewing his personality as closer to Alfred Molina's incarnation, who could be kind but obsessive and distant at times. Probably with a dash of his comic version's arrogance.
    The Spider-Man 2 version of Doc Ock is my favorite villain (although Homecoming's Vulture is giving that a run for it's money), so that sounds good.

You'll get to know Otto as Peter as much as Spider-Man through Mary, and thus might be able to keep him from becoming too attacked to his metal tentacles. There are also Curt Connors and Michael Morbius, two others who Peter will know before... well, we shall see.
    Sounds good.

I think the context with Mary Jane might depend on players choices in Episode 1, maybe around his interactions with Aunt May or Anna Watson (if I elect to include her). Given the university setting I will imagine I'll be including choices where dates or meetings with characters are possible! Peter has a number of people he knows - those like Flash, Ned, Gwen and Cindy he's known since high school, those like Harry, Betty and Eddie he's met more recently in University. But I will expect a date with a character is inevitable!
    Okay.

I like the Homecoming version of Vulture too, in fact that sort of blue collar high-tech villain set is something I plan to include in the game, though that doesn't mean it will be Vulture in that role.

And also I can confirm having just played Episode 1 of the second season of Telltale's Batman that I plan to include character relationships in the game as something you get to see at the end of an episode, because I love that concept.

Whilst I'm probably not going to use much if any images in this game of mine, if there was a cover for Episode 1, this would likely be it as it sums up the Spidey-Peter duality for me nicely.

Anyway, currently mapping out some more elements of Episode 1 and then I'm starting work on a demo on Twine. Will stick that up when it's ready.