Incredible Member

Default My vent about Star Wars and the media in general.

I think that I have reached my end point with Star Wars.

I was a child of the 70's. Star Wars was a huge part of my consciousness. The original trilogy informed a lot of that childhood.

But i have looked at what Star Wars has become. And now I see that it's always one big misery sandwich. The hope has been sucked out of it.

First there were the Prequel trilogy. Which was just all tragedy and angst. Then there was Episode 7. Which showed that all of the struggles of the original trilogy's characters were all for nothing. Because the First Order simply continued the same evil the Empire had spread. And the characters themselves? They were just beaten down. Defeated.

I'm sick and tired of angst and no hope being pushed in my entertainment. Modern comics and modern movies. All of it. They seem to worship at the alter of despair.

The fate of the characters are a little better than some of the comics/novels, which pretty much had them fighting non-stop after ROTJ, whereas at least with the new Disney continuity, the Empire pretty much gave up shortly after ROTJ, with the Republic being at peace for decades-The First Order is pretty much a remnant force that was developed by secret, and nobody really considered them a big deal except Leia and some republic friends who formed the resistance. Of course now the Republic's in bad shape because it's lost part of it's ruling body, and I think that's going to be one of the main plot threads in the next film. In a way, the Order is kind of like a reverse Rebel Alliance, and Leia's kind of like the guy in the Death Star briefing room ("They're more dangerous then you realize").

It sure beats the weird Vong aliens who made the books much more depressing and strange.

Technically that's how the Original trilogy starts too-the heroes of the previous generation have been broken down and defeated, but in both cases, there's a "New Hope".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth