Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Solid wrapup to this arc.

I was right about spoilers:
    the Gnosis Sphere being used to defeat Ascalon,
    end of spoilers but not the effects. It was more like a switch being thrown than anything, which makes sense given he's a machine. He got new information, new perspective and adapted accordingly. Not sure what spoilers:
    Mind!Ascalon actually being real is all about, though.
    end of spoilers

Probably to be expected, but spoilers:
    the AzBat suit is in storage for now, though it's a compromise because JPV is still getting upgrades to his Azrael suit and still has the Batman AI inside him.
    end of spoilers So it's not a total reversal.

Pretty much confirmed in this issue that Cass isn't straight, and with a single word.

And this is where spoilers:
    the team learns that Tim's alive.
    end of spoilers Major.

With this arc done, it feels like another corner has been turned, and I guess that's been true for all of them.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

You were pretty right about that thing! Solid. Fight scene felt a bit of a letdown after last issue, but fight scenes like last issue are pretty rare.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    You were pretty right about that thing! Solid. Fight scene felt a bit of a letdown after last issue, but fight scenes like last issue are pretty rare.
    True, but that also fed into the concept that's been running through the whole arc: that the way to stop Ascalon is not primarily through force.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

This issue made me wish that Bruce/Zee was gonna happen. Damn they were awesome together in this arc.
    My favorite characters of all time are Bruce Wayne and Dracula.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    True, but that also fed into the concept that's been running through the whole arc: that the way to stop Ascalon is not primarily through force.
    Very true, and in line with my surmise that Ascalon would be converted in some way rather than defeated.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Okay, so we're left with more cliffhangers...but we had an actually satisfying resolution? I'd forgotten what those were like in this book!

Assorted thoughts:

- The final fight wasn't as impressive as the fight from last issue, but the dialogue was more important here anyway. (Maybe I missed it, but why was AzBat even necessary if they have the sphere?)
    - Sad to see Nomoz go.
    - Not entirely sure if this issue makes up for JPV as a character essentially not being in the last few issues, so I'll have to go over the storyline again.
    - Good, good, another small step closer toward pansexual Cass being confirmed.
    - The quick set-up, short response by Cass, punchline joke with Basil responding to magic reminded me a lot of her old banter with Steph and Tim.
    - Again, I'll have to go through this arc again, but overall, it was probably the best arc since Rise of the Batmen, even if it did stumble a lot in the middle, and for as dynamic as Martinez draws her fight, I still don't care for how Barrows and Martinez draw Cass , especially compared to Takara and Blanco and Duce. Even as far as her awful costume goes, I find it preferable when they're the ones drawing it.
    - So Ra's and Valley Sr. are working together, and seemingly under Mr. Oz? Why do I get the feeling the First Victim and Jacob are gonna get wrapped into this?

Fantastic Member

Although I found the two stories of this arc (1. Bats+Zee 2. Azrael+rest) to be uneven, it was a good conclusion, that sets things up nicely for future arcs. Also, I liked that they managed to have a single artist for the whole arc, despite the twice monthly schedule. I hope they maintain that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    - So Ra's and Valley Sr. are working together, and seemingly under Mr. Oz? Why do I get the feeling the First Victim and Jacob are gonna get wrapped into this?
    I don't think Jacob will? I think he still opposes Ra's in general, even if it was Shiva who was his particular concern.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Okay, so we're left with more cliffhangers...but we had an actually satisfying resolution? I'd forgotten what those were like in this book!

Assorted thoughts:

- The final fight wasn't as impressive as the fight from last issue, but the dialogue was more important here anyway. (Maybe I missed it, but why was AzBat even necessary if they have the sphere?)
    - Sad to see Nomoz go.
    - Not entirely sure if this issue makes up for JPV as a character essentially not being in the last few issues, so I'll have to go over the storyline again.
    The Azrael Batman suit was needed to even JPV out and pull away from the Ascalon initiated programming take-over.
    Was Nomoz about to say Ascalon was his brother? Interesting Ra's and, apparently JPV Sr. alive reveal. I wasn't expecting that part, especially since in the original Azrael run it was revealed that Ra's had spent many years trying to get in with the Order of St. Dumas and even ran with Dumas himself whom he himself feared.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Mighty Member

Well that was alright.

1) Bruce should be proposing to Zee

2) If Tynion tries putting Harper with Cass Imma throw a fit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Well that was alright.

I'm with you on both of these.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

I have a feeling this won't be the last time we see JPV wearing his Batsuit. He mentions that he feels the Batman AI still in his head. Knowing how unstable the system is, I think it's a good chance that it'll end up resurfacing/counteracting somehow and he'll once again utter the words 'I am Batman' again.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Well that was alright.

Why should he propose to Zee? He's not in love with and has never been in love with her. Just because a friend is in love with you or really like you doesn't mean you have to be with them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Why should he propose to Zee? He's not in love with and has never been in love with her. Just because a friend is in love with you or really like you doesn't mean you have to be with them.
    It had no logical basis. I just like them together. She is also the best and most stable girl he knows, but I know it will never happen.

Always Rakzo

Surprisingly satisfying ending that brings closure to some plot-points and promises more for the future (although I'm not sure what to expect in the future considering Tynion's erratic execution).

I don't think this issue would have been half as good without Martinez' art, he's amazing and elevates the script immensily.