Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    So, HELL YEAH! Looks like this is happening! I'm glad it will be AFTER 4 strong heroic showings though. It will be cool to see this turn AFTER everyone has fallen in love with her...but ONLY after. If there weren't several outings before this, I think I'd be pretty pissed though, to be honest...so...YAAAAY!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#536dde9a3575

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/08/04/f...n-gal-gadot/#1

BTW, I can't get over the fact that we have THIS MANY Wonder Woman film outings to discuss!!

Batman v Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Justice League
    Wonder Woman II
    FLASHPOINT
    This is real?

#InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I highly doubt Warner Bros. is willing to taint Diana by being faithful to Geoff Johns's characterization of her as a tyrant and murderer. Will they show Diana killing Billy Batson after all the flak the DCEU has gotten about its films being too dark? Now that they've "course corrected" the franchise it's too much of a risk to alienate fans of the DCEU Wonder Woman by depicting her as unrecognizable from WONDER WOMAN I.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I highly doubt Warner Bros. is willing to taint Diana by being faithful to Geoff Johns's characterization of her as a tyrant and murderer. Will they show Diana killing Billy Batson after all the flak the DCEU has gotten about its films being too dark? Now that they've "course corrected" the franchise it's too much of a risk to alienate fans of the DCEU Wonder Woman by depicting her as unrecognizable from WONDER WOMAN I.
    It'll be an self-contained What If story that retcons itself at the end of the movie. That won't taint her. The audience will see that the Diana they loved returns at the end of the movie and everything that happened in the movie is a big case of "Well thank goodness THAT never happened! "

That's the beauty of Elseworlds and alternate timelines. You can do whatever you want without doing any lasting harm to anything.

Now, yeah, I still don't want to see Diana killing helpless choldren, but even of she does, it won't matter in the end.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah I agree 100%. It's not a good idea by any stretch.

Plus I think we've at least earned SOME time to just enjoy these characters on film in their purity.

Let me enjoy a few Aquaman flicks. We've NEVER seen an Aquaman movie! Let's not diverge timelines now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah I agree 100%. It's not a good idea by any stretch.

Plus I think we've at least earned SOME time to just enjoy these characters on film in their purity.
    By the time this thing comes out, you'll have seen Diana in her "purity" for three movies. Four if her sequel comes out before Flashpoint, which seems likely.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Without knowing if or how the Flash movie will actually be... I am not overly thrilled about hearing the word 'Flashpoint' and doubly so when you add Wonder Woman to that mix, even less so if you then add the name Mera.

Actually, thats something thats a bit concerning about Flashpoint, this was ofc a Geoff Johns written story and one I get the impression was meant to give Barry a leg up in standing the same way Blackest Night was meant to do for Hal Jordan. I dont know, but is Geoff Johns also involved in the writing of the Flash movie? Because I could imagine it being closer to the comics the more involved Johns is at that stage.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 08-07-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Really? I think the animated film pulled it off to great results. And that was probably less than 2 hours.
    Of course details were missing but the whole gist of the comic was adapted pretty well.

The animated film was like 75 minutes.

Astonishing Member

I don't think this is a really good idea for WW or Flash. Now, I've been proven wrong many times before, and, sadly, they don't consult with me on this stuff so I don't know the details.

I understand the argument that WW is on solid footing because of the success of the first movie. Woo Woo! And, due to that, we're feeling pretty optimistic about her sequel and the JL films. But, who goes to the movie to see their favorite heroic character depicted as a poorly written mass murderer so that some other guy can save the day?

It's not even a great story for Flash as so much of the spectacle overshadows him. He's just there as the catalyst time machine (that doesn't even make much sense).

Marvel's Civil War (the movie, not the comic) works because they took the time to build up to it. It's wasn't Cap's first solo. And, fortunately, the movie was smart enough to ignore much of the comic. Marvel could probably use a Flashpoint after Infinity War, but DC is just getting started.

But, like Civil War, they could change a lot of the story. And maybe the other characters just make small appearances. Just seems like they're jumping the gun without really looking where they're going. But, then, I'm not involved so what do I know?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    By the time this thing comes out, you'll have seen Diana in her "purity" for three movies. Four if her sequel comes out before Flashpoint, which seems likely.
    Even more reason to not do something like Flashpoint tbh.

I bet this is Flashpoint in name only...
    Richard Alexander

Retired

Comic books and animated series have a more ephemeral quality to them. You can do alternate timeline takes on a story for an entire year or series and then take it away and the audience will be okay with that. But theatrical movies are different--they're like these big castles that have been built up to stand for a hundred years and stay there, they don't go away. People grow up knowing thet these big movies exist. They can't be hand-waved.

Even if Diana is the featured character in a couple of movies and part of an ensemble in a couple others, it still could have unforeseen consequences if they change her character too much for a Flashpoint movie. A lot of people had a problem with BATMAN V SUPERMAN and it's hard for the other DC movies to distance themselves from that because BVS is always going to be around and casting a long shadow over the DC movie world.

The only way I could see Flashpoint working in a way that doesn't leave too much stink on characters like Diana, Arthur and Bruce is if it was done as a madcap romp. A combination of the BACK TO THE FUTURE trilogy and THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE. Some of the alternative realities would have to be absolutiely goofy and clearly just a lark to send the signal that this isn't intended to have any permanence.

Even so, if they're going to jam that many leading and supporting characters into the movies they should do it as a trilogy to give all the actors enough screen time to warrant their paycheques. Maybe film the whole thing over a year and then break it up into different movies--as was done with the Richard Lester's THREE & FOUR MUSKETEERS, Robert Zemeckis' BACK TO THE FUTURE 2 & 3, Peter Jackson's LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy and now Joe & Anthony Russo's AVENGERS 3 & 4.

Ultimate Member

It's essentially a glorified "what if" scenario. If the movie makes that clear enough (and gives her a plausible enough reason to end up that way), then I don't see there being much of a problem (especially since things will be reset by the end of the film anyway).

Also if it gives me a Diana vs. Mera fight then YES PLEASE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The problem is you cannot unring the bell after seeing horrific images - alternate universe, what-if scenarios or otherwise - of Diana slaughtering Billy Batson, possibly Steve Trevor, Mera and Aquaman.

Those memes will last till the end of the world.

Perhaps this'll be "Flashpoint" in name only as someone else pointed out, but I maintain that it is a tremendous branding and financial risk for DC Films, which has Wonder Woman as its MVP, to show Diana performing acts onscreen that are the utmost extreme opposite of the love and compassion that made her standalone movie a success in Flash's "standalone" film.

The problem is you cannot unring the bell after seeing horrific images - alternate universe, what-if scenarios or otherwise - of Diana slaughtering Billy Batson, possibly Steve Trevor, Mera and Aquaman.
    Well, when time travel is involved, you absolutely can unring a bell. You can prevent that bell from ever having been rung in the first place. If Flashpoint Diana does bad things, but the movie ends with all of that being wiped out, then it's all a wash.

Those memes will last till the end of the world.
    Memes get made no matter the context.

Perhaps this'll be "Flashpoint" in name only as someone else pointed out, but I maintain that it is a tremendous branding and financial risk for DC Films, which has Wonder Woman as its MVP, to show Diana performing acts onscreen that are the utmost extreme opposite of the love and compassion that made her standalone movie a success in Flash's "standalone" film.
    It probably will be Flashpoint in name only, which is why I'm not too worried about it. Heck, as I said earlier, they may even flip the script and let Diana remain heroic this time. But I seriously doubt we'll be watching Diana killing kids and I very much doubt we'll see her killing Steve. Now THAT would probably be a bridge too far.

I'm pretty sure they're only considering a Flashpoint movie as a plan to tweak the DCEU in order to deal with some of the issues people have with it. If so? Then Diana couldn't be safer. NO ONE can be stupid enough to think that Diana needs any tweaking at all.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--