Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Give 3 Marvel writers whom you think could write a great Storm ongoing solo.

Everybody knows that I'm a huge Storm fan and I always dreamed of Storm getting a second ongoing solo. But I don't really know a lot of Marvel writers (I only knew a few) and who are the best writers in Marvel. So I need help. If Storm will get a second ongoing solo, give 3 writers in order who you think could write a great Storm ongoing solo and tell me why.

Thank you for the help (in advance)

Ultimate Member

Chris Claremont at his peak

Majoire Liu

Tie: Al Ewing/Warren Ellis/ Amanda Stenberg (Niobe)

My top choice is Yona Harvey. She wrote the Storm-centric issue of Black Panther & The Crew, and I loved it. (She's officially the co-writer, but my understanding is she was essentially scripting from Coates' plot.) I'd love to see what she did with the character in a solo.

Second, Ta-Nehisi Coates. He's been doing good work with her in Black Panther and in The Crew. The guy's proven himself a good comic writer (even the complaints about his Black Panther run aren't about the quality of his writing, but disagreement about his takes on T'Challa and Wakanda), and he writes Storm well. He's got a very clear reverence for the character. So he'd do a good job.

And for my third choice, I'll go with Magdalene Visaggio. As much by default, as anything else. She just does good work and I'd like to see her get a shot at someone as prominent as Storm.

Nilah Magruder would be another good choice. She deserves more recognition, especially as the first black woman to write for Marvel. I always love seeing Mariko Tamaki's work, so she'd be a cool choice for Storm. There's always G. Willow Wilson as a name worth mentioning. Given how well that Saladin Ahmed is doing with Black Bolt, I'd definitely be interested in seeing what he'd do with a character I actually like.

I could keep going, but after this, I'd start getting into the realm of "not a chance in hell they'd get the chance" writers. Like, Tee Franklin isn't getting Marvel work any time soon, for example. And anyone else I named would be people along those lines.

All-New Member

Greg Pak (he already did it), Ed Brubaker, and I like ed2962's idea, Majoire Liu.

1. Gerry Conway
    2. Priest
    3. Ed Brisson

I could think of more that don't work for Marvel. I wouldn't want something like the other female led titles. The one's I tried weren't good. Most at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Chris Claremont at his peak

Majoire Liu

Tie: Al Ewing/Warren Ellis/ Amanda Stenberg (Niobe)
    Most of my choices that I would pick Marvel wouldn't use now. But your first pick is one.

Sorry for maybe skipping the Marvel writer prerequisite but these have all written for Marvel at some point so...

Greg Rucka
    Any female lead books he's written have always been top notch.

Kieron Gillen
    If he could be lured back I think this might be a worthwhile choice.

Terry Moore
    Love all his creator owned work, must be worth a shot if given enough leeway.

BANNED

Wow! great to see different writers on the list.

I have always thought a lot of posters would name Christopher Yost due to Xmen Worlds Apart or Ta-Nehisi Coates for good writing of Storm in Black Panther.

I'm glad I created the thread here.

Kathryn Immonen

Not Marvel writers but they could be;

Joss Whedon

Gail Simone

Jody Houser
    "I wish you good fortune in the wars to come"

Sam Humpheries

Nick Spencer

Bendis
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Jason Aaron

Rick Remender

Jonathan Hickman
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Alan Davis
    Chris Yost
    Greg Pak (if he told bigger stories and used powerful A-list villains)

Heck, I'd love it if Alan Davis was a co-plotter and artist while one of the other two was the writer, or maybe Davis does both the writing and the artwork...

Spectacular Member

My big problem with Pak's run is that he didn't know what to do with her and grounding her at the school makes it really hard to carry an ongoing series so it has to be a writer that is willing to go outside of the box.

Ta-Nehisi Coates has been doing a good job of writing her and her powers in Black Panther at the moment. Even if I'm not a huge fan of the Black Panther/Storm coupling he definitely seems to understand and respect the character. The fact that his book has so far stayed in it's own corner not tieing into anything is also a big plus for the direction a Storm book needs to head in, something that can standalone on it's own merits in it's own corner of the MU.

Al Ewing is a continuity nerd and has consistently knocked it out of the park with his Marvel work. I'd just love him on any X-book in general.

Gail Simone does seem like a bit of an obvious choice for the "strong female character" but that's because she's good at it. Her work in Wonder Woman in particular makes me have faith she'd do a good job with Storm. I think Storm has a very regal quality to her that Diana also shares. Simone is also good at work building and character development which is what I'd want to see more of.

BANNED

Warren Ellis
    Ta-Nehisi Coates
    Chrisopher Priest

Hasn't written for Marvel, but Rashida Jones?