Default Fill me in on Rebirth Batman

Hey guys. I regularly read the New 52 Batman family and Justice League titles from launch until roughly the Darkseid War/Batman Endgame time period when I lost a bit of interest and stopped reading.

Been reading through Morrison's Batman run lately and getting tempted to get into Rebirth. Can anyone fill me in on some major story lines, what books I should be reading, who's dead, who's currently Robin (I'm a huge Damian fan btw,) any interesting DC behind-the-scenes updates or drama, anything else I need to know? Thanks!
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The best ones right now, IMO, are Tom King's run on Batman and Tim Seeley's run on Nightwing. If you love Damian, he's got some great guest appearances in the latter.The former has some major potential developments between Bruce and Selina.

Thankfully both are largely self contained so you can grab the trades for each and not be out of the loop on much of anything besides the Monster Men crossover, which is its own trade and largely filler.

Damian's back alive, and is Robin, leading the Teen Titans and staring as co-lead in a book with Superman's son, Jon Kent/Superboy, called Super Sons.

Batman's up to his usual shenanigans in Batman. There's been a major Bane arc, and there is currently a flashback arc about a war between Joker and Riddler going on. Catwoman's also been a recurring character in Batman a lot lately.

Scott Snyder's on All-Star Batman, continuing his run.

In 'Tec, Batman and Batwoman are leading there own team of Gotham vigilantes, consisting of Red Robin, Spoiler, Orphan, Clayface, Azrael and Batwing.

Dick's back as Nightwing, starring in his own solo and leading the Titans in their own book.

Batman's starring in two Justice League books: Justice League and Justice League of America. Although, I can't recommend the latter.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Hey guys. I regularly read the New 52 Batman family and Justice League titles from launch until roughly the Darkseid War/Batman Endgame time period when I lost a bit of interest and stopped reading.

Been reading through Morrison's Batman run lately and getting tempted to get into Rebirth. Can anyone fill me in on some major story lines, what books I should be reading, who's dead, who's currently Robin (I'm a huge Damian fan btw,) any interesting DC behind-the-scenes updates or drama, anything else I need to know? Thanks!
    The biggest mystery is who took Tim prisoner, where is he being held and for what reason? Batman and the rest of the characters in the DCU believe he's dead. I think we'll find the answers to all of that this winter.

As far as best books, I love 'Tec (though it was much better with Tim and Steph in it), Batman, RHATO, Batwoman, Nightwing, Super Sons and AS Batman.

I'm a big Damian fan too, but I haven't enjoyed him being on the Titans as much as I thought I would. I miss the Batman and Robin series by Tomasi. It had a great father/son dynamic, and just an all around fantastic book. (the current Superman book has the same feel to it).
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Batmaniac View Post

Batman's starring in two Justice League books: Justice League and Justice League of America. Although, I can't recommend the latter.
    I love Batman, but I wouldn't recommend either of those books.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

So Batman and Damian aren't interacting much at all in comics right now? Are they still pushing Snyder's pet characters like Duke? I liked a lot of Snyder's big events but his tendency to overlook established Bat-family characters in favor of hyping up his own Mary Sue characters was very off-putting. Any big events on par with Cout of Owls or Endgame that I missed out on, or just average storylines and arcs?
    Formerly known as YMCMB

So Batman and Damian aren't interacting much at all in comics right now?
    Not really. Mostly in Super Sons.

Are they still pushing Snyder's pet characters like Duke?
    Yes, Snyder is still trying to push Duke, whom I can't stand.

Any big events on par with Cout of Owls or Endgame that I missed out on, or just average storylines and arcs?
    Not really. Jokes and Riddles is going on right now in Batman, but I don't know if I would call it a big event.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

So Batman and Damian aren't interacting much at all in comics right now? Are they still pushing Snyder's pet characters like Duke? I liked a lot of Snyder's big events but his tendency to overlook established Bat-family characters in favor of hyping up his own Mary Sue characters was very off-putting. Any big events on par with Cout of Owls or Endgame that I missed out on, or just average storylines and arcs?
    Duke is also unfortunately present in the Batman solo, but he's thankfully not as much of a presence there, and is absent entirely for the current arc.

There is Gotham Girl, who may be viewed as a creator's pet of the same type as Duke, but she's not really being forced into the book at Damian's expense the way Duke sort of is.

I love Tom King's Batman, but be warned that's a title that has caused lot of controversies. I highly recommend the I Am Trilogy (I Am Gotham, I Am Suicide and I Am Bane). You're going to miss some things that happens in the Monster Men crossover, but nothing necessary and I wouldn't recommend that story either. You can look up The Button crossover with Flash if you're interested in the whole Rebirth mistery, even though it barely gives answers. Detective Comics has been a mixed bag for me, loved how it started, but I didn't enjoy too much the second arc and hated the third one, The League of Shadows. Still, the book has a lot of fans, at least for what I've seen in forums.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Not really. Mostly in Super Sons.

Yes, Snyder is still trying to push Duke, whom I can't stand.

Not really. Jokes and Riddles is going on right now in Batman, but I don't know if I would call it a big event.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Duke is also unfortunately present in the Batman solo, but he's thankfully not as much of a presence there, and is absent entirely for the current arc.

There is Gotham Girl, who may be viewed as a creator's pet of the same type as Duke, but she's not really being forced into the book at Damian's expense the way Duke sort of is.
    Hmm, nothing drawing me back in too much from I've heard so far. Maybe I'll check back later lol. DC needs to step up their comics marketing. Now that I'm not actively reading comics I realize how esoteric they are and hard to get into.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Hmm, nothing drawing me back in too much from I've heard so far. Maybe I'll check back later lol. DC needs to step up their comics marketing. Now that I'm not actively reading comics I realize how esoteric they are and hard to get into.
    DC books are selling pretty well, so I don't think they need to do too much differently.

Astonishing Member

Definitely get Super Sons as you're a huge fan of Damian Wayne, same here. It's a very funny book for the Robin/Superboy banter.