Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default lobster johnson: mangekyo

While the long form, noir inspired crime stories the Lobster has been given of late are good my favorites have always been the strange one shots and this issue was definitely in that vein. I loved the Alice in Wonderland style falling scenes, I'd buy a print of some of those pages.

Spectacular Member

Same, my favorite LoJo story is Caput Mortuum and I'd now count Mangekyo as of the best Lobster Johnson issues.

There's something about the one-shots that really resonates with me. I like the main stories, too, but I love these. There's a "pulp" quality to them that eludes the longer stories. I think...

So, yes, I loved this one as well!

This was so well done.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    There's something about the one-shots that really resonates with me. I like the main stories, too, but I love these. There's a "pulp" quality to them that eludes the longer stories. I think...

So, yes, I loved this one as well!
    I think since the Lobster isn't the type of character for introspection he suits shorter stories really well. He's a character who shows up, fights the bad guy and disappears without a trace so you don't necessarily need extended plots.

The one problem I had when I first Mangekyō was that I had no idea what half the issue was about since I had never read the previous Scent of Lotus issues.
    I recently read the Satan Smells a Rat tpb collection (Vol. 3) and then went back and re-read Mangekyō, so now it seemed more connected and made more sense to me.

I do wish in the issue Mangekyō there had a footnote or something that this issue's story involved characters from that previous two-issue run (from four years ago), rather than Dark Horse automatically assuming / forcing any newer readers to search the internet for answers about who some of the characters were.