The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default How powerful/masterful should Luke Skywalker be in the Force going forward?

One thing we'll hopefully get in THE LAST JEDI is the extent to which Luke Skywalker's mastery of the Force has advanced in the thirty years since RETURN OF THE JEDI, but what you expecting Luke's mastery of the Force will be, especially vis a vis past masters such as Yoda, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, Qui-Gon Jinn, and of course Luke's own father, Anakin?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

No father than Yoda. He shouldn't be invincible.

BANNED

It depends on how big a role he's going to play.

If he's staying in the background, he can be as powerful as any Jedi Master. If he's going to be front and center in the action, he should not be allowed to overshadow the new characters.

iMan 42s

Luke shouldn't be too powerful, though he should be above everybody else. This is the last Jedi from one of the most potentially powerful force sensitives at that time, he should be powerful by comparison to Rey. He was tasked with facing the Sith who at the time had been ridiculously powerful so Luke should be close, or at least as powerful as his father.
    Luke should be predisposed to strength in the force.

Should he be like Darth Vader or Starkiller and be able to rip a cruiser out of the sky? I would say no (or at least no bigger than a starfighter), simply on the basis of how Luke was trained which was by no means formal. Darth Vader was predisposed to it and had the most powerful masters to learn under. Starkiller was trained by one of the most dangerous force users in the galaxy and had years of training to be as brutal in the force as possible. Luke had two guys for a few days/months and had to learn everything else on his own. What I'm saying is that he should be powerful, but it should be displayed in how he learned which should show him using enhanced versions of the standard abilities and extensions of what we know Jedi can do. He should be strong, but it should fit Luke. A push from him should be a wrecking ball, but not incinerate opponents. He should be able to lift heavy objects like starfighters and perhaps bigger, but he should struggle a with an AT-AT.
    Within 30 years he should be overpowered, but even he needs limits.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It depends on how big a role he's going to play.

If he's staying in the background, he can be as powerful as any Jedi Master. If he's going to be front and center in the action, he should not be allowed to overshadow the new characters.
    Well, if he's training Rey, he should be way more advanced than she is.

I'm thinking Luke should probably be as strong as Obi-Wan was. Impressive and cagey in a fight, but not necessarily a Jedi superhero.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I'm thinking Luke should probably be as strong as Obi-Wan was. Impressive and cagey in a fight, but not necessarily a Jedi superhero.
    Sounds good to me.

I haven't noticed Luke in any of the publicity for Last Jedi with a lightsaber....so maybe, like Yoda and Palpatine before the prequels, he's intended to be beyond simple weapons at this point.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I haven't noticed Luke in any of the publicity for Last Jedi with a lightsaber....so maybe, like Yoda and Palpatine before the prequels, he's intended to be beyond simple weapons at this point.
    Was that the reason? We know Yoda lost his saber before retreating to Degobah. Not sure about the Emperor, although he didn't seem to be planning for a saber fight in his last film.

As far as Luke goes, I think we've seen too little footage to determine whether he stopped using his saber (either because of some kind of greater education in Force usage or some other personal choice). Also bear in mind that training Rey in swordsmanship would be easier if he had his own saber.