View Poll Results: Justice Society Poll III: favorite members - JSA (1999-2006) additions

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starman (Jack Knight, son of Golden Age Starman Ted Knight)

30 28.04%
  • Sand / Sandman (Sanderson "Sandy" Hawkins)

28 26.17%
  • Black Canary II (Dinah Lance, daughter of Golden Age Black Canary)

41 38.32%
  • Hourman III (Matthew Tyler, andriod from 853rd century)

14 13.08%
  • Atom Smasher (Albert Rothstein)

28 26.17%
  • Doctor Fate (Hector Hall, son of Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl)

35 32.71%
  • Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders, granddaughter of Speed Saunders)

41 38.32%
  • Star-Spangled Kid / Stargirl (Coutney Whitmore)

38 35.51%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

57 53.27%
  • Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross)

35 32.71%
  • J.J. / Jakeem Thunder (Jakeem Williams)

13 12.15%
  • Black Adam (Teth-Adam / Theo Adam; probationary)

32 29.91%
  • Captain Marvel / Shazam (Billy Batson)

34 31.78%
  • Hourman II (Rick Tyler, son of Golden Age Hourman)

34 31.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Jakeem Thunder bugged me - not because of his personality but because he was a walking deus ex machina. Same for Jonny Thunder. What was to stop Jakeem from wishing Black Adam into the phantom zone during World War III? Nothing. But writers continually ignored this virtually all-powerful character whenever he became inconvenient which was almost always.
    Last edited by Marvelman; 08-10-2017 at 09:07 PM.

I voted for the only ones I know even a little: Black Canary, Doctor Fate, Hawkgirl, and Captain Marvel.

(Well, I know Black Adam too, but I don't like him).
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post

(Well, I know Black Adam too, but I don't like him).
    If you read either this run or 52, there's a really solid chance of you changing that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    . . . Billy and Court's romance and the judgemental elders condemning it for the superficial creep factor. If only they knew that Billy was really Courtney's age and not a potential subject for To Catch A Predator.
    Maybe guys like Alan and Jay were more use to the original Golden Age version of "the Original Captain Marvel" where Marvel himself wasn't just Billy's mind in an older, super-powered body.
    (That change to who Marvel was I believe dates back to Jerry Ordway's The Power of Shazam! from 1994.)

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    Jakeem Thunder bugged me - not because of his personality but because he was a walking deus ex machina. Same for Jonny Thunder. What was to stop Jakeem from wishing Black Adam into the phantom zone during World War III? Nothing. But writers continually ignored this virtually all-powerful character whenever he became inconvenient which was almost always.
    Did you ever read JSA: Classified #28 from back in 2007?

They sort of deal with the fact that at one point, the "magic" has a cost, sort of an "for every action, there's an opposite and equal reaction"-type of deal in the case of that story.

Just decided to see where voting currently stands on this.
    At the moment,
    * Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt) = 21 votes
    * Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders) = 20 votes
    * Star-Spangled Kid / Stargirl (Coutney Whitmore) = 19 votes
    * Black Adam (Teth-Adam / Theo Adam) = 18 votes
    * Black Canary II (Dinah Lance) = 17 votes

All other characters on the poll had 14 votes or less.

I hadn't previously voted in this poll because I didn't feel I had read enough of this run. But after buying a few tpb collections, I eventually went with:
    * Sand / Sandman (Sanderson "Sandy" Hawkins)
    * Black Canary II (Dinah Lance, daughter of Golden Age Black Canary)
    * Star-Spangled Kid / Stargirl (Coutney Whitmore)
    * Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)
    * Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross)
    * Hourman II (Rick Tyler, son of Golden Age Hourman)
    because, overall, I felt they contributed much to the team.

There were other characters I like, or sometimes liked (depending on how they were used), but decided they weren't necessarily ones who earned my vote for the long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I hadn't previously voted in this poll because I didn't feel I had read enough of this run. But after buying a few tpb collections, I eventually went with:
    * Sand / Sandman (Sanderson "Sandy" Hawkins)
    * Black Canary II (Dinah Lance, daughter of Golden Age Black Canary)
    * Star-Spangled Kid / Stargirl (Coutney Whitmore)
    * Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)
    * Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross)
    * Hourman II (Rick Tyler, son of Golden Age Hourman)
    because, overall, I felt they contributed much to the team.

There were other characters I like, or sometimes liked (depending on how they were used), but decided they weren't necessarily ones who earned my vote for the long-term.
    After reading this run what did you think? I know you are a fan of the golden age, but I think this may be my favorite JSA run.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    After reading this run what did you think? I know you are a fan of the golden age, but I think this may be my favorite JSA run.
    Haven't read all of it yet, but there were good parts and not-so-great/forced parts.

My favorite run(s), however would probably be those I read when I was (much) younger and when they originally came out:
    * the 1970's when the JSA had their annual meetings with the JLA, plus their own series in All-Star Comics and then Adventure Comics
    * the ten-issue series in 1992/93 written by Len Strazewski with art from Mike Parobeck (inked by Mike Machlan)

I voted for:

Doctor Fate
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

My vote was for Mr. Terrific. Love his character and looking forward to the Terrifics(still kind of a cheesy name for a group).

Retired

I come at these in a methodical way. So I first eliminated a lot of characters, like Jack Knight and Hourman III, even though I like those characters more than virtually anybody else on here. But this is about the JSA and both those characters were taken out of action quite early in the run--so they didn't contribute a lot to the team. Once I elminated a bunch that I don't care for and others I think have no right to be in the JSA, that left just a few and of those Doctor Fate was the sentimental favourite. Because Stephen Sadowski drew his birth at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver--making this Dotor Fate not only Canadian but a Vancouverite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I voted for:
    Doctor Fate
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    My vote was for Mr. Terrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . that left just a few and of those Doctor Fate was the sentimental favourite. Because Stephen Sadowski drew his birth at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver--making this Dotor Fate not only Canadian but a Vancouverite.
    By the way, you folks did realize you could vote for more than one member, right?

For the third poll with members of the Justice Society, we're concentrating of those who first became members (with one on probationary status) during the 1999-2006 run of the title JSA.
    Choices for this thread / poll are:
    Starman (Jack Knight, son of Golden Age Starman Ted Knight)
    Sand / Sandman (Sanderson "Sandy" Hawkins)
    Black Canary II (Dinah Lance, daughter of Golden Age Black Canary)
    Hourman III (Matthew Tyler, andriod from 853rd century)
    Atom Smasher (Albert Rothstein)
    Doctor Fate (Hector Hall, son of Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl)
    Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders, granddaughter of Speed Saunders)
    Star-Spangled Kid / Stargirl (Coutney Whitmore)
    Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)
    Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross)
    J.J. / Jakeem Thunder (Jakeem Williams)
    Black Adam (Teth-Adam / Theo Adam; probationary)
    Captain Marvel / Shazam (Billy Batson)
    Hourman II (Rick Tyler, son of Golden Age Hourman)

As with previous threads / polls in this series, no limit on how many of these characters you may choose, but you might want to try and keep it to no more than, say, eight.

By the way, you folks did realize you could vote for more than one member, right?
    Yeah, I know it was a multiple vote poll.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 01-12-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: changed "choice" to "vote"

Retired

I always have the feeling that if you vote for more you water down the power of your vote. I don't know if that's true, but studying possible systems for multiple choice ballots (in Canadian federal and provincial election reform), I get the sense it's better to vote for one rather than many if you want your guy to win--but it would take a mathematical genius to say for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I always have the feeling that if you vote for more you water down the power of your vote. I don't know if that's true, but studying possible systems for multiple choice ballots (in Canadian federal and provincial election reform), I get the sense it's better to vote for one rather than many if you want your guy to win--but it would take a mathematical genius to say for certain.
    The problem with CBR Forums and creating polls for threads is that it's an "all or one" system; the poll program doesn't allow the poll's creator to choose/limit how many options can be chosen.
    (That can only be done by "suggesting" in a post how many to choose, but that means people actually have to read and comprehend posts before voting!)