Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why Is SONY Venom Popular?

Disclosure: I've hated Venom since his first appearance in Secret Wars. But I acknowledge its popularity.

Why is the movie version so popular, especially among its comic fans? It is the darkest, most serious character in the Spider-Man realm. How have people taken to its comedic version so easily?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Disclosure: I've hated Venom since his first appearance in Secret Wars. But I acknowledge its popularity.

Why is the movie version so popular, especially among its comic fans? It is the darkest, most serious character in the Spider-Man realm. How have people taken to its comedic version so easily?
    Maybe because of Tom Hardy? Idk exactly why

Because even in the comics there's a lot of humor in this dark character, and the film is just fun? Like, it still feels like crazy, chaotic, murderous, bite your head off Venom.

Because, really, Venom is not that serious. There's always been a gleeful goofiness to his character. And I say this as a Venom fan.

That isn't to say he's never been intimidating or threatening or that serious stories haven't been told with him. But Venom--especially when he's an anti-hero--can be pretty damn ridiculous. The best thing they could've done with a Venom movie that is in no way connected to Spider-Man was to lean into the absurdity of it all. As someone who collected all his mini-series that ran through the 90's, I thought they nailed that aspect of him.

And Tom Hardy, wisely, embraced that and went off the wall. The best thing about the first movie was him arguing with the voice in his head. The decision to characterize the symbiote like a hyperactive child hopped up on Cocoa Puffs and Mortal Kombat created a fun dynamic. And there is a fun contrast to this big, threatening monster acting like a goofball and saying silly things.

The first Venom wasn't a good movie, but I had fun with it. And I'm looking forward to the sequel.

From what I understand Hardy was the only one who thought they were doing a comedy.
    But for me, another movie like Suicide Squad I don't understand how it was this big a hit.
    Hardy was fun, but the villain was cliche and boring and all the other characters were one dimensional.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Good question. I can't believe this movie succeeded they way it did and I'm not impressed with the sequel's trailer. Most of time, I just don't get comic movies.

I wouldn't call movie venom comedic per say he had funny parts but it's not like he was Deadpool or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I wouldn't call movie venom comedic per say he had funny parts but it's not like he was Deadpool or anything.
    Great, now I'm disappointed we'll never get Reynold's Deadpool interacting with Hardy's Venom. That'd be glorious!

I reckon it did well because there’s an appetite for superhero bullshit all year round now, Venom wasn’t Amazing Spider-man awful (kind of ok), and they found a release slot where it was uncontested.

It's a wonderful thing

You mean the alien suit as a whole and not just the concept of it bonding with Eddie Brock and getting mad?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

Because it was a fun movie, and easy to watch. Like Suicide Squad. Popcorn movie for people who do not want to get into the heavy stuff.

Most of my friends think it's a fun movie despite its flaws. Some of them do think it's wasted potential as it could've been a Journey to Villiany arc like Joker.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-31-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Great, now I'm disappointed we'll never get Reynold's Deadpool interacting with Hardy's Venom. That'd be glorious!
    Never say never!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Never say never!
    Nah, rather not give Disney/MCU all the toys. There's a lack of variety in content as is, at least with Sony keeping some of them I might get more stuff like Into the Spider-Verse.

I'd say the character lends himself to comedy when he's the focus. They are absurd all the time when together. Overall it had visual spectacle like Aquaman(thought not as much). And was a generally fun movie. I don't know anyone who thought it was great but most people I know who saw it enjoyed it.