Default Shim'Tar title vs Wonder Woman title

The shim'tar name is also a title given to a Banas and Wonder Woman is the equal of that. How should they differ and how should they be similar ?

I'm going to need someone else to weigh in here and help me get excited and interested in the Bana. I don't see them as useful to the WW mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I'm going to need someone else to weigh in here and help me get excited and interested in the Bana. I don't see them as useful to the WW mythology.
    They show nuances in the Amazons views without necessarily being evil (Amazons Attack notwithstanding)

They show nuances in the Amazons views without necessarily being evil (Amazons Attack notwithstanding)

It gives the Amazons breadth and scale, the Bana are the flip side of the same coin. Personally I like how they add a cool Middle Eastern vibe and Egyptian gods to the Greek myth we get ordinarily. It's kind of like Clash of the Titans meets 1001 Arabian Nights and who doesn't enjoy togas mixed with 'I Dream of Jeannie' attire?

Fantastic Member

Shimtar recently got killed by Artemis in Red hood and outlaws. Since it's a title I guess they can bring another one.

I like the the technological/cybernetic take on her powers as opposed to the gods blessings given to Diana.

BANNED

Basically you could see them just like the Amazons you are used to, but as being much harsher the same way Artemis is basically a harsher versions of Diana.

And if you wanted to take it to extremes, you could take them as the dark mirror of the Amazons as a people who's more about war and dominance than the old Amazons.

Incredible Member

What's a little different in the two, though, is that Shim'tar is a title that spans generations in Bana culture. Wonder Woman, on the other hand, is a name given to the Amazon who won the right to go to the outside world for a specific reason. It isn't really a multi-generational title in Themiscryan culture.

That is true. I think it would be interesting if the Banas instead of being mortals were ageless and the shim'tar is a title that does spans generations. Sometimes it can be in one family line others it's not. I mean we see Artemis fighting with one of the current shim'tar despite being wounded didn't dead. They should be similar in strength and some divine things like ageless but the cultures should be very different

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    That is true. I think it would be interesting if the Banas instead of being mortals were ageless and the shim'tar is a title that does spans generations. Sometimes it can be in one family line others it's not. I mean we see Artemis fighting with one of the current shim'tar despite being wounded didn't dead. They should be similar in strength and some divine things like ageless but the cultures should be very different
    Think that makes them too similar to the Themyscirans. I'd leave them mortal and the mantle is something thats passed on.

What I would do was make the Shim'Tar mantle into the pinnacle of Bana achievements. Like they are a warrior culture, and the Shim'Tar is the highest honor a Bana can achieve serving as the right hand of the Queen (which is a family mantle). If we are going further, I would see it as a ritual-filled position as well, first of all the Shim'Tar can only be unseated if a challenger defeats her or if she perishes in battle, secondly (like the pharoes) if the Queen passes away the current Shim'Tar would follow her to serve in the afterlife.
    This would guarantee that whoever the Shim'Tar is will always be the best fighter amongst them, the one with the most talent and the greatest drive to reach this position.

Artemis however I see as a little different than the regular. Going by the old continuity (roughly), she would have attained the mantle of Shim'Tar very early on and rightly recognized for her fearsome skills with a sword. But unlike previous Shim'Tar's she is devoted more to honing her skills than her queen, so would not swear the 'suicide pact' but still be allowed the honor due to her skills. Thus when Bana-Mighdall was destroyed the queen lost, Artemis would rise to the unofficial recognition of the leader of the survivors and lead them to Themsycira where they would settle. At this stage the mantle of 'Shim'Tar' would loose all it's practical meanings, but kept alive through the Bana community who'd still turn to Artemis as their spokesperson.

However, I don't think the Shim'Tar should be considered equal in standing to that of 'Wonder Woman'. Diana may be the greatest among the Amazons, but her title is one given to perform a very different kind of job, to go out and represent, with the will of Olympus at her back. As such I do see Diana as more of the Gods champion than her people's... so if you wanted, you could bring out that in ages past Hippolyta also had a personal champion like the Shim'Tar, but the last one had been killed by Heracles as a deliberate show of supremacy and the mantle had simply not been revived since with the lack of a reason to have one.
    It would be important however to differentiate between Diana and this other champion however, and Hippolyta should insist on it being someone else, because with Diana being backed by the Gods, who are fickle, she could be yanked off the island at a moments notice by them when she might have been needed.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 08-09-2017 at 11:42 PM.